Geocache/waypoint coordinate off by 1 why? | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Geocache/waypoint coordinate off by 1 why?
August 26, 2012
9:26 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7005sp_Permalink sp_Print

And you know - sometimes this 1 digit variation works in your favour! Consider the situation where the CO has not taken perfect co-ordinates of GZ and you come along with a group of Garmin toting cachers and you have entering the final co-ords which have been automatically altered by 1 digit and go straight to the cache, whereas the Garmin people go around the other side of the boulder and wonder where the cache could be :laugh:

August 25, 2012
1:45 pm
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 56
7003sp_Permalink sp_Print

adkexplorer wrote:

In most instances an additional 6 feet of variance is no big deal. Just don't ask me how I feel about the additional skew when searching for a nano in the deep woods.

soleful2001 wrote:

This may sound like a lame workaround, but if you manually enter coordinates, you could just subtract 1 point value and the system will add the correct coordinate you are looking for.

Nothing lame about that suggestion- if anyone is really concerned about this problem,
what could be easier and simpler than doing as soleful2001 suggested.

August 25, 2012
4:43 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
7002sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you think you really need that one digit, knock yourself out but it's really not worth worrying about.

By the way, I have only seen the number being different when I manually input the coordinates.
It's always correct when I download the caches or waypoints to the GPSr.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

August 25, 2012
2:19 am
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 89
7001sp_Permalink sp_Print

This may sound like a lame workaround, but if you manually enter coordinates, you could just subtract 1 point value and the system will add the correct coordinate you are looking for.

August 24, 2012
3:09 pm
phild31
Members
6996sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just remember that the accuracy of any handheld consumer unit, from any manufacturer is 15 feet at best.

I've had no problems finding micros anywhere because of a 6 foot variance in the numbers.
When you get to about 20 feet use your eyes and brains to find it, not the arrow on the GPSr
After all, how careful was the hider to get the best coordinates possible, what device was used, did they take several readings over a couple of days?

The biggest problem with most micros in the woods is that they are put out by people too lazy to take the time to hide or maintain a better cache.
Most micros in the woods I have found are pretty lame, they could just as easily been small or regular sized but too many people just have to put out as many hides as they can.

A power trail of caches along a rail-to-trail or isolated road is one thing, but 25 micros along 2 miles of hiking trails deep in a forest is just trying to rack up numbers.
(Oooh look at all the caches I hid, aren't I wonderful?)

August 24, 2012
5:03 am
adkexplorer
Members
Forum Posts: 2
6995sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the quick replies. Although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for it was the information I was seeking. In most instances an additional 6 feet of variance is no big deal. Just don't ask me how I feel about the additional skew when searching for a nano in the deep woods. :blink:

August 24, 2012
2:45 am
phild31
Members
6994sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum adkexplorer.

The number change has been reported but it may be classified as a minor problem and given a low priority.

The one digit off amounts to 6 feet or less, the best accuracy of any handheld is about 15 feet so I don't worry about it.

But it is an annoyance. :huh:

August 24, 2012
12:22 am
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 56
6993sp_Permalink sp_Print

See this discussion:
https://www.exploristforum.com/.....=5516#5787

510 won't save waypoint coords correctly

Jaker

August 23, 2012
7:50 pm
adkexplorer
Members
Forum Posts: 2

First off I'm a newb so I apolagize if this question has been asked a 100 times before. The search function didn't render any results nor did a google search. Sometimes when I download a geocache the last number is off by one. An example would be the cache listing is 44 20.167 but after the download it is 44 20.168. I am using the WGS84 Datum and Degree/Minute coordinate. It will do this for a manually entered waypoint too. It's fine until I hit the save button and that's when I notice it will change the last number. Is this normal? When I manually enter a waypoint I really want it to be the numbers I enter.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 3
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251