Geocache description with embedded pictures | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Geocache description with embedded pictures
April 11, 2011
1:34 pm
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2298sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Well, I forwarded it to Magellan and we'll see what comes out of it - however, be careful what you wish for! It was said that both IE and FF can read the files and determine their format without the extension. Yes, that might be true, however, that is in a full blown Windows environement. I personally believe that this is something that should be address on GC.com... Because not including the file extensions can cause problems for many different environments, not just the Windows CE or Windows Mobile environment that is running on these units. If we have to start programming every environment possibility that is part of a full blown Windows Operating System into these mobile devices, we're going to choke these little machiens to death!!!

I'm just saying this as a past programmer!

Anyway, just my opinion...

David

I'm with you on that and for me it should be the job of GSAK to download the files in the correct format and extension. And you are absoluttely right that it seems strange that GC eccept files without extension anyway. So, for me, when Clyde is able to fix this in GSAk it is all I ask for. I just wanted to inform Magellan that there is some kind of problem so they can have a look into it. I have no idea if this problem is also valid on other items or only the eXplorists.

April 11, 2011
12:01 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2285sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I forwarded it to Magellan and we'll see what comes out of it - however, be careful what you wish for! It was said that both IE and FF can read the files and determine their format without the extension. Yes, that might be true, however, that is in a full blown Windows environement. I personally believe that this is something that should be address on GC.com... Because not including the file extensions can cause problems for many different environments, not just the Windows CE or Windows Mobile environment that is running on these units. If we have to start programming every environment possibility that is part of a full blown Windows Operating System into these mobile devices, we're going to choke these little machiens to death!!!

I'm just saying this as a past programmer!

Anyway, just my opinion...

David

April 10, 2011
9:03 am
Caotix
Members
2279sp_Permalink sp_Print

Clyde will fix the problem in the next build of GSAK, but he thinks that the problem itself is with the eXplorists, not with GSAK.

However, I will stick to my original statement:

Basically it would appear to be a fundamental problem with the way the X710 is rendering images

What if the HTML contained local images (someimage

). This could possibly happen for user created waypoints. Now we don't have a server dishing out the resource and telling us the content type.

These same local images work fine in IE and FF without file extensions, so it should be possible for the X710 to have similar code to render such images without file extensions.

Probably someone can bring it to the knowledge of Magellan and we will learn what they think about it?

April 9, 2011
11:01 pm
Caotix
Members
2270sp_Permalink sp_Print

I told him, so let's see if he comes up with a solution..
I hope he does.

April 9, 2011
10:34 pm
David
Members
2269sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm sure that if someone tells Cylde about this he'll fix the problem in GSAk. He's always really good about that and his updates normally only take a few days.....

David

April 9, 2011
10:16 pm
Caotix
Members
2268sp_Permalink sp_Print

Or is it that the eXplorist can not recognize pictures if the files have no extension?
Regardless, how can we solve this problem?
For me it would be enough if I could tell GSAK to download only files who have a propper extension.
But who am I to tell?

April 9, 2011
9:47 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2267sp_Permalink sp_Print

maybe, because the origin from the image is not the groundspeak-server?

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

April 9, 2011
9:45 pm
Caotix
Members
2266sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's what I mean, why is GSAK loading the files without an extension?

April 9, 2011
8:47 pm
Morel
Guests
2265sp_Permalink sp_Print

It worked fine loaded through VP and also using "send to gps" from GC.com.

April 9, 2011
7:51 pm
Caotix
Members
2264sp_Permalink sp_Print

David, it made no difference. The problem seems to be that the eX didn't recognize this file as a picture. When I extended it as a jpg file it went through without a problem, even when it actually was a gif. I think the real problem is that, especially, buttons have no extension and that the eXplorist hav a problem with that. :blush:

April 9, 2011
7:38 pm
David
Members
2263sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caotix wrote:

The first reaction with GSAK is that it must be a problem with the way the eX renders the pictures.
Cause this specific picture ( one out of about 150 in 7500 pictures) is without an extension. It is a Button and it seems that this is the problem. To good that I have no idea about programming :blush:

I notice that it is a .gif and not .jpg. Maybe that has something to do with it.

David

April 9, 2011
7:34 pm
Caotix
Members
2262sp_Permalink sp_Print

The first reaction with GSAK is that it must be a problem with the way the eX renders the pictures.
Cause this specific picture ( one out of about 150 in 7500 pictures) is without an extension. It is a Button and it seems that this is the problem. To good that I have no idea about programming :blush:

April 9, 2011
1:37 pm
Caotix
Members
2261sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have to come back to this Thread cause I encountered a problem with some graphics embedded in the cache description.
The cache in question is GC2CRER River View V2

The problem is, when the pictures are grabbed and I load the info page on my X710 it takes around 57 sec to open the page. When scrolling down the X710 get locked and reboot after a while.
The reason for this behavior is simple. At the end of the description is a visitor counter icon. When downloaded the icon is stored without the extension .jpg. Also in the .gpx file on the X710 the link to this file is without jpg (but with the dot).
Deleting the file on the X710 has no result, as before, around 50 sec to load the description and while scrolling down it get's stuck.
My solution was, extend the file with .jpg and also the link in the .gpx file. After that, the description loaded in 2 sec and there was no problem scrolling through the description.

My question now is, why doesn't GSAK load this specific picture with the correct extension and why get's the X710 stuck?

I know that you are probbably the wrong eople to talk about this so I posted the same on the GSA Forum. It is that you are aware about this problem and it will maybe help you in the same situation. i will reply when I get an answer from Clyde from GSAK.

March 16, 2011
8:13 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
1792sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think the cache description created with a table html code on the cache page is causing the problem with pictures & text too wide.

I don't know enough about this stuff to be sure or how to fix it. 🙁

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 16, 2011
8:05 pm
Caotix
Members
1791sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah that's right. The problem was to find out 😉
Now I can take about this problem. :silly:

March 16, 2011
7:53 pm
phild31
Members
1790sp_Permalink sp_Print

That many files I guess would slow it down. 😛

If using VP to load the 710 make sure you have cleared the files yourself.

When you use GSAK to load to the 710, on 'Clear from GPS before send' click on Geocaches, Waypoints, Notes and Pictures.
That will clear all the files for you.

March 16, 2011
5:01 pm
Caotix
Members
1786sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found the problem.
Today I cleared all my caches from my eX and loaded only this specific cache onto it.
Then I tried to look into the description.
After approx 2min 10sec my eX restartet without showing anything and without any interfierence.
Then I looked into MediaImagesGeocaches. I had there 21722 Files :woohoo:
I deleted the complete folder and the cache.
After sending the cache again onto my eX it took 3 sec to load the description.
So it must be the number of pictures in the folder which makes the loading so slow.
In part I can understand that the selection of the correct pic takes some time ... :S
For me, now I will clear the MediaImagesGeocaches folder before I load caches onto my eX.

But the problem with the Size of pictures and text showing onto the eXplorist is still active.

March 16, 2011
3:51 pm
Caotix
Members
1785sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is mine

March 16, 2011
9:01 am
Caotix
Members
1779sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

How many caches do both of you have loaded into your 710? I curious because I also been having a problem - not with the displaying of the page, but with the unit hanging up or pausing for several seconds before it displays the hint or descriptions. It doesn't always do it, however, I've seen this issue more than enough time for it to be frustrating.

Thanks,
David

Cause I had this problem while caching, I deleted all the caches and had only this specific one on the 710. I tried it with severral different caches. Everytime when there have been pictures in the description, the loading time, while going for description or hint was 65sec, or more. I'm at work now but will send you the Version datas asap.

March 16, 2011
3:55 am
phild31
Members
1776sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's the versions of my 710;

Hey David, is that your new 4x4 ride? Looks nice!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online: jg_the_Prophet
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply