Frustrating First Morning With A New 710 | Page 4 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Frustrating First Morning With A New 710
May 8, 2011
7:04 pm
michaeln
Members
Forum Posts: 61
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2764sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I went to one of the ones I know has images. See these screenshots. Notice that the Description bar has html code next to it, and when I press the "Description" bar it shows the description, but not the image.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
6:58 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2763sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think they will only show up on the cache description page of the cache they are associated with?

Go to a cache that you know has an image in the description and hit 'description' and it should be there.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

May 8, 2011
6:49 pm
michaeln
Members
2762sp_Permalink sp_Print

Continuing to dig, I found the images on the 710 in "Magellan (N:) > Media > Images > Geocaches" folder. They seem to be all there. Now to figure out how to get it to display them.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
6:43 pm
michaeln
Members
2761sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, that's what I am doing.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
6:35 pm
phild31
Members
2760sp_Permalink sp_Print

michaeln wrote:

Hmmm... how do you do that?

I do have GSAK retrieve all the pictures when I do a PQ. I wonder if I am missing some setting in GSAK to tell it to transfer the pics to the 710?

I usually clear everything from the 710 when I load new stuff from GSAK but not always.
This is the settings I use on GSAK
Grab Images from Internet Before Sending;

May 8, 2011
6:32 pm
michaeln
Members
2759sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking at the GSAK help, I do see that the grabbed images are in the database "GrabbedImages" folder, but they aren't showing up on the 710.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
6:30 pm
phild31
Members
2758sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is a screen shot I took before GC.com did their last two upgrades.

May 8, 2011
6:20 pm
michaeln
Members
2757sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmmm... how do you do that?

I do have GSAK retrieve all the pictures when I do a PQ. I wonder if I am missing some setting in GSAK to tell it to transfer the pics to the 710?

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
6:14 pm
phild31
Members
2756sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can get the pictures that are part of the cache description.
Something changed on GC. and the pictures don't scale correctly any more but they are still there.
The page will scroll side to side & up & down.

We were discussing having all pictures loaded and realized that the file would be way too big if every picture on every cache were loaded.
So, just the description pics is good.

May 8, 2011
5:58 pm
michaeln
Members
2755sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I was completely wrong about the pictures thing. Never mind. It *would* be a cool feature though!

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
5:38 pm
michaeln
Members
2754sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am not downloading from VP to the GPS based on lots of advice against doing so I have seen here.

There are lots of things I do like about the 710. I didn't expect the camera to be anywhere near as good as it is, but although it isn't equal to my Canon S95, it does a perfectly adequate job for the kind of pics I sometimes want to take when I am out geocaching, and I don't have to carry another camera to do it.

I mostly like the UI as I am getting more used to it. I like the solid way it feels in my hand. I like the compass and dashboard screens (when they are not flipping out).

Much of it is pretty much on par with the Garmin Oregon 450 I returned in terms of performance.

One question... I thought this thing was supposed to be able to download and show pictures from a geocache, but I have not been able to see how one can do that. Sometimes when I am at a cache site it would be useful to be able to see pictures associated with the cache, and this is one of the features I bought the 710 for, but I don't know how to find pictures (other than ones I take with the 710) as part of the cache "package".

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
5:19 pm
phild31
Members
2753sp_Permalink sp_Print

This particular problem showed up with the update.
It only happened to me when I had some caches loaded from VP on the unit.
My biggest problem is with VP, if I only load stuff from the 710 to
VP no troubles. As soon as I load caches from VP to the 710 all heck breaks out.

May 8, 2011
5:10 pm
michaeln
Members
2752sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks. After I posted I deleted all the waypoints and geocaches right on the 710, then reloaded them from GSAK, and it was fine.

Then I read your post about the UGDS.BIN file, so I deleted it anyway and restarted the 710, and the WPs and GCs seem to still be OK.

It's an adventure owning one of these, isn't it? Does Magellan perhaps need some more beta testers? Maybe not, apparently all of us are beta testers.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
5:04 pm
phild31
Members
2751sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had that happen to me also.
If you go to the unit on the PC, open USR and delete the UGDS.BIN file it will fix it.
The unit will generate a new BIN file when it indexes.
It seems VP corrupted the file.
I never load any caches from VP to the 710, I only load from GSAK or GC.com and it works fine.

May 8, 2011
4:50 pm
michaeln
Members
2750sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am truly amazed.

I did a PQ, did a selection from it in GSAK and downloaded it to the 710. Now every single waypoint listed and every single geocache listed in the 710 is "Error!", and they are all 7945 miles away.

This is a truly useful GPS! 😉

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
4:19 pm
phild31
Members
2749sp_Permalink sp_Print

michaeln wrote:

Indy wrote:

Check your energy settings, select 'alkaline' as battery type if you're using rechargeable batteries.

Huh? I have been using NiMH 2700mAh rechargeables with the "Rechargeable" setting. I figured the "Lithium" setting was for Lithiums and the "Alkaline" setting was for Alkalines.

What is the "Rechargeables" setting for if not for NiMH batteries?

Yeah, when I forgot to change the setting to "rechargeables" and left it on "alkaline" the the battery bar started at 3/4 full. changed the setting and it went to full.

Rechargeables start at a slightly lower voltage than alkalines and lithiums are a little higher than alkalines.
That's why there are settings for each.

May 8, 2011
1:56 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2745sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'd have thought the same - I use NIMH with the Rechargeable setting. I also totally ignore the compass calibration symbol. I haven't had an issue with that in the field yet.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

May 8, 2011
1:35 pm
michaeln
Members
2744sp_Permalink sp_Print

Indy wrote:

Check your energy settings, select 'alkaline' as battery type if you're using rechargeable batteries.

Huh? I have been using NiMH 2700mAh rechargeables with the "Rechargeable" setting. I figured the "Lithium" setting was for Lithiums and the "Alkaline" setting was for Alkalines.

What is the "Rechargeables" setting for if not for NiMH batteries?

---
San Francisco, CA

May 8, 2011
6:11 am
Indy
Members
Forum Posts: 49
2740sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, something must be wrong with your device.

Normaly you have to calibrate the compass once and all is ok. Check your energy settings, select 'alkaline' as battery type if you're using rechargeable batteries.

If the behaviour of your device remains strange, go for a replacement.

May 8, 2011
5:44 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2737sp_Permalink sp_Print

michaeln

I'm really starting to believe that you got a damaged unit. I've been using a 610 and/or 710 since well before they were ever released to the open market and I don't believe I've been in the calibration page more than a dozen times, not even when I change the batteries. Like Phil said, if it is red I either give it a couple of minutes or just wave it around and everything is fine. As far as the spinning goes, yes, I did experience that the other day, but it was also with a low battery condition and it has done it since I've changed the batteries, however, one of the 710 test units that I had, had some really strange problems. Not exactly what you’re experiencing, but in some ways similar and I immediately took it back for a replacement and I haven’t had the issues since. So, you might consider taking it back to the retailer where you bought it or sending it to Magellan for a replacement. If not, I know that some have personal preferences and maybe this isn’t the GPS for you! I’ve been caching for a few years now and have a good bit of professional experience with equipment of this type and sometimes curtain units just don’t match up to the user’s needs or wants. My caching buddy is a perfect example, my Magellan will allow me to loaded custom satellite maps that are clear and accurate, while when loaded to his 62st they look like garbage so he doesn’t use them and my Magellan is consistently more accurate – however, he loves his Garmins because that is what he has been using for years and there are some things that is Garmin does better than my 710, but I still prefer the 710 – and it gives us something to argue about when we’re caching!!! Two grumpy old men 
Anyway, I am sorry about the problems you’re having and if there is anything I can ask of Magellan or do to help get this corrected, please let me know.

David

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply