Frustrating First Morning With A New 710 | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Frustrating First Morning With A New 710
May 10, 2011
9:44 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2834sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't think the x10s use gps signals to calibrate the electronic compass.
I shut off the GPS and shut off the electronic compass, then turned on just the electronic compass, waved it in the air and it was calibrated.

Here's two screenshots
First I'm facing north;

Then I spun to face south;

With no gps signal at all the compass calibrated.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

May 10, 2011
7:50 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2833sp_Permalink sp_Print

Over here in Europe, we have the counterpart of WAAS, called Egnos. This is also shown with a little "W" on the reception indicator.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

May 10, 2011
6:56 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2832sp_Permalink sp_Print

michaeln wrote:

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

Without WAAS the signal variation is greater and therefore the calibration algorithm used may need tweaking

According to the specs shown at http://www.magellangps.com/Pro.....lorist-710 the 710 does have WAAS. Are the specs wrong or did you mean something else?

No, the specs are fine - however, Graham lives in Australia and they don't receive the WAAS signal there so he believes that the algorithms within the unit needed to be tweaked to compensate so that the unit will be more stable when the WAAS signal isn’t present. However, for those of us in the US we really shouldn’t have much of a problem getting the signal…

David

May 10, 2011
6:48 pm
michaeln
Members
Forum Posts: 61
2831sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

Without WAAS the signal variation is greater and therefore the calibration algorithm used may need tweaking

According to the specs shown at http://www.magellangps.com/Pro.....lorist-710 the 710 does have WAAS. Are the specs wrong or did you mean something else?

---
San Francisco, CA

May 10, 2011
4:49 pm
michaeln
Members
2830sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, I won't mess with it further.

It's already useless for geocaching, wouldn't want to make it useless for testing too! 😉

---
San Francisco, CA

May 10, 2011
4:40 pm
David
Members
2829sp_Permalink sp_Print

You have to do it manually. One of the first things you always want to do with these units is to make a backup of all of the files on the unit and then keep that backup. I have backups with the last two firmware versions. So, if you ever want to go backwards to just copy the backup files over the top of the files on the unit, reboot the unit and then it will let you run the only firmware update which settings everything up for you correctly with the older firmware. Now, if you don't have a b/u, then all you have to do is ask some who has a b/u 😛 and I can put it on my website for you to download...

But, we always need to understand that when we start playing with the file structure on the unit we're putting ourselves as risk for messing something up!!!

However, in your case I wouldn't suggest it! Knowing Eric, and I do, he'll be quick to get a replacement unit out to you and he wants your unit in the state that it is currently in. If you mess around with the firmware on it, it is going to be useless to him for testing and you'd have send it into Magellan Customer support for an exchange or back to Amazon after doing that... So, if you can hold on until Thursday I'm sure you'll be hearing that a new unit is coming your way...

David

May 10, 2011
4:31 pm
michaeln
Members
2828sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Of course it is possible to drop your GPS back to the old firmware!!!

David

How would one do that? I downloaded two different versions of the 3.23 firmware:

200-0407-002eXplorist_3_23_Rel3.exe

710_eXplorist_3_23.exe

and in both cases when I try to run the installer it tells me the firmware is not compatible with the device.

Since the unit is going back to Magellan anyway I figured I would give it a try.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 10, 2011
4:26 pm
David
Members
2827sp_Permalink sp_Print

michaeln wrote:

So far I am very impressed with the Magellan Insider help such as that given tirelessly by David, and by the Magellan Product Manager's willingness to get directly involved in my particular problems. I don't think one would get this kind of support from Garmin. 🙂

I would like to be able to stick with the 710, and am hopeful that we'll find mine was just a lemon and the replacement unit solves all the problems I have had.

For now, I removed the batteries from my 710 and it's all repackaged ready to go back to Magellan.

Thanks Michael, we're trying to help! Also, let me tell you that I only had my first 710 for about 2 hours and it went back to Magellan HQ. I had gone done to San Dimas to trade my Beta 610 for a production 710 and I didn't get out of town before calling Eric and asking him for a new unit, because it was acting very much like yours. However, after receiving the new unit I've been extremely pleased with this unit. If you look through the posting here you'll see pictures of my little 4x4 rig with multiple GPS mounted on the dash. It isn't uncommon for me to have a Triton 1500 and Maestro 4000 mounted on the dask and a GPS on a lanyard around my neck when I go out caching - however, since receivng the 710 I'm getting to were I grab it and only it and take off... No, it isn't perfect, but it is about as close as I've seen in an Outdoor GPS. I'm pretty sure that when you get your replacement you'll be a lot happier with it.

David

May 10, 2011
2:14 pm
litngbug
Members
Forum Posts: 42
2825sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just an FYI
I was having the same issue with the 710 stopping anywhere from 30-100 from GZ, David had me go through all kinds of settings to resolve it and by gosh they worked, my 710 has given no problems since.

'bug

May 10, 2011
1:26 pm
michaeln
Members
2823sp_Permalink sp_Print

So far I am very impressed with the Magellan Insider help such as that given tirelessly by David, and by the Magellan Product Manager's willingness to get directly involved in my particular problems. I don't think one would get this kind of support from Garmin. 🙂

I would like to be able to stick with the 710, and am hopeful that we'll find mine was just a lemon and the replacement unit solves all the problems I have had.

For now, I removed the batteries from my 710 and it's all repackaged ready to go back to Magellan.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 10, 2011
1:21 pm
warfieldm
Members
Forum Posts: 50
2822sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bought the 610 because I already have a big G nuvi for turn by turn. Perhaps it's due to this that I have patience for Magellan to resolve the issues. On one cache this past weekend, I had to recalibrate the compass five times. The nuvi? Well, it doesn't have an electronic compass but on the same cache, it directed me to drive through a river (no bridge for miles), down a private lane, and up a park road that had been closed for 30 years (at least the tree in the middle looked to be about 30 years old). Latest firmware and maps. The current Magellan quirks are typically very noticeable when they happen and just cause me to take quick action to get past them. Leading me through an extra 20-30 miles of driving is far more aggravating even without the fuel cost. And big G's effort in supporting the situation is to assume I did something wrong. Funny that it's that attitude that will keep me from buying another big G product. I've been pleasantly surprised on the reports of how well Magellan has supported this product.

May 10, 2011
8:50 am
phild31
Members
2820sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Indy,

Years ago I bought an explorist XL on pre-order, it was the new top of the line GPSr from Magellan.

Every single unit sold in the first batch had to be recalled because of bad hardware and bad software.
It took 3 weeks for Maggie to respond and another 2 weeks to get them to agree to a return for a new unit. It was a nightmare but the XL has been a very good unit for years, I still use it.

I had less luck with Garmin at about the same time.
They would only exchange my no-good new unit for a more expensive unit that I had to pay the difference on. And that unit didn't work!
It then took a month to get my money back from Garmin, and they sent a coupon towards another new unit instead of a check! :ohmy:
A letter from my lawyer got a check in two days. :angry:
I'll go back to using a compass and dead reckoning before I buy anything from Garmin again. 👿

The people at MITAC/Magellan are a huge improvement from when Magellan was owned by Thales.
And I've always liked Magellan GPSrs better than Garmin or DeLorme anyway. 😛

My 25 cents worth 😉 ;

Phil

May 10, 2011
8:16 am
Indy
Members
Forum Posts: 49
2817sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Phil,

I can remember the first releases of G's Oreg** firmware. That was really junk. Field beta testing. Until today, after almost 3 years of introduction.

No comparison with the situation of actual eXplorist firmware. All main functions are working very well.

Naturally there can be faulty devices like Michael's one.

Just my 2 cents. 😉

Greetings,
Indy

May 10, 2011
7:00 am
phild31
Members
2814sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope the swap works out, I sympathize with Michael and have had similar frustrations with my old XL unit when it was new.

The 710 is a top end unit, you should be upset when none of the top end features work!

Michael has every right to say that the 710 is a piece of junk and a waste of his money and time.

May 10, 2011
6:32 am
David
Members
2813sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, this is all being resolved. Eric, the Product Manager of the Outdoor line wants Michael's GPS so he has agreed to swat the unit out with a new one. So I'm sure Michael will be out enjoy a new 710 soon...

David

May 10, 2011
6:20 am
Indy
Members
Forum Posts: 49
2812sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Michael,

for about 30 times one has told you that your device is probaly faulty.

You can waste your time trying to get better results with your device, but its behaviour is far away from regular function.

So you have two alternatives. Get a new one as replacement and get happy with your eXplorist. Or go on crying for your old Garmin and become a premium critics sponsored by Big G.

My tip: get a new fu**ing one and pi** off your old G-trauma.

Sorry, I had to say that. 😛

Greetings,
Indy

May 10, 2011
3:02 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2810sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Michael,

It sounds like your unit maybe faulty. See how the replacement unit goes.

I only have two issues with my 710;

1. Compass not staying calibrated but it is managable and some small adjustment from Magellan I hope will improve this. Without WAAS the signal variation is greater and therefore the calibration algorithm used may need tweaking (my idea could be completly incorrect).

2. Logs.txt file not being created. If I keep deleting the MGE.gpx file it will most likely work fine but I should not have to do a work around on a top end unit.

Graham.

May 10, 2011
1:51 am
michaeln
Members
2808sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I don't know about other 710s, but as of this afternoon I am ready to declare mine absolutely worthless for geocaching. It seems whatever is wrong with mine is getting worse.

Today, I was approaching a cache. I was in pedestrian mode and the compass was calibrated. Alkaline batteries were at about 3/4 (it had only been running about 1/2 hour on fresh alkalines, and the power selector was set for alkalines).

As I approached and was about 2 blocks with only one turn to go, it decided it needed to recalculate the route. I timed it... it took THREE MINUTES to calculate that 2 block route. It finally finished and I approached the cache GZ.

When I got apparently 49 feet away it vibrated and gave the proximity alarm. Shortly after, it told me it was at the end of pedestrian mode and wanted to go into point by point mode. I clicked OK and then the fun began.

As I approached GZ, the arrow steered me, but the distance to go stayed at 36 feet. I walked probably 100 feet in the direction the arrow wanted me to go, but it never updated the distance or showed any progress on the map. On the compass screen it indicated the direction, but the distance never changed.

I walked 100 feet at right angles. The arrow didn't like it, but the distance still said 36 feet!

Then I noticed the batteries were down to about 1/4 and the compass had come out of calibration again. This was all of 5 minutes after it said the batteries were at 3/4, total running time maybe 35-40 minutes. So I shut it off, put in some freshly charged 2700 mAh Powerex NiMH cells and powered it up.

Now it said those were at 3/4. I changed the power setting to rechargeables, but the battery gauge didn't change. Compass out of cal again, calibrated it. It failed five times to calibrate while waving it around, then finally one stuck.

Standing in the same position where it was telling me 36 feet to go it now said 109 feet to go. Once again I tried following the path given by the arrow, but the distance never changed from 109 feet. I tried cancelling the route and restarting it, I tried powercycling it, I tried a third set of batteries. It remained obtuse and useless.

I wanted to throw it on the ground and stomp the living *&^% out of it, but I didn't. I just shut it off and abandoned my caching trip yet again.

I hope Magellan does follow through with the exchange for a new unit (and they told me they will, but it won't be until the end of the week). I'm not going to mess with this thing any more, it just makes me angry.

If the exchange unit has ANY of these issues, it's going back to Amazon for refund and I will say "bye-bye" to Magellan.

This has been a very very unpleasant experience.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 9, 2011
5:50 pm
phild31
Members
2801sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caotix wrote:

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

phild31 wrote:

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa.

Oh, curse this golden tongue that it would mislead the innocent! :ohmy:

I only reported what was fact at the time :blush:
With my time machine in the shop I had to wait for trouble to show up in the conventional way. :whistle: :silly:

If I knew that after 4 days the upgraded firmware would develop Mad Cow Disease I would have started this thread sooner - https://www.exploristforum.com/.....38;id=2569

Phil Phil Phil

Now your telling me you did turn the unit on until day 4!!! :ohmy:

You wicked man. B)

Graham.
:silly: :woohoo: :laugh:

You must understand that this is the future failure description after Phil updated to FW 8.83 :woohoo:

Firmware update 8.83 bugs

:laugh:

It worked for me without trouble for four days, then it had a nervous break down.

:blush: :blush: So my little typo (8.83) will be my albatross around my neck! :blush: :blush:

"Now your telling me you did turn the unit on until day 4!!!" :ohmy:
Or did you mean to say this?;

"Now you're telling me you didn't turn the unit on until day 4!!!" :ohmy:

I try to not be a wicked man, but it's not easy. 👿 😛

😛 :laugh: 🙂 :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

May 9, 2011
4:58 pm
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
2798sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

phild31 wrote:

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa.

Oh, curse this golden tongue that it would mislead the innocent! :ohmy:

I only reported what was fact at the time :blush:
With my time machine in the shop I had to wait for trouble to show up in the conventional way. :whistle: :silly:

If I knew that after 4 days the upgraded firmware would develop Mad Cow Disease I would have started this thread sooner - https://www.exploristforum.com/.....38;id=2569

Phil Phil Phil

Now your telling me you did turn the unit on until day 4!!! :ohmy:

You wicked man. B)

Graham.
:silly: :woohoo: :laugh:

You must understand that this is the future failure description after Phil updated to FW 8.83 :woohoo:

Firmware update 8.83 bugs

:laugh:

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply