Frustrating First Morning With A New 710 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Frustrating First Morning With A New 710
May 15, 2011
2:01 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2918sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had that digitizing thing happen to me once the first week I had the unit. Like you I powercycled it and the pictures were there.
I tried it again, taking 9 or 10 pictures and it never happened again so I forgot all about it until now.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

May 15, 2011
1:33 am
michaeln
Members
Forum Posts: 61
2914sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did have one strange thing happen this afternoon. One of the GCs I visited was in San Francisco's Mission district and featured some incredible murals. I took several pictures of the murals with the 710's camera, and when I hit the little left arrow to leave the camera screen it popped up a dialog saying it was "still digitizing the photos, please try again", or words to that effect.

I gave it about 3 minutes of trying to exit the screen and getting that dialog box and finally decided it wasn't gonna finish in any timeframe I wanted to wait through so I powercycled it.

I seem to have all the photos I took, so I dunno what the issue was.

Kind of like the routing calculations that never end. I waited through one today up to three minutes and then powercycled it. This was another very very short route (I was less than a tenth of a mile from the end), but it couldn't finish. After powercycling it, it calculated the route in less than a second.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 14, 2011
9:03 pm
michaeln
Members
2908sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh.... at the end of this morning's festivities, I did cancel a route to a GC I was going to grab but because it was cold and windy and looking like rain (I was on my bicycle), I decided not to. Judging from the other thread, that's probably what happened to the stuff I logged.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 14, 2011
7:41 pm
michaeln
Members
2905sp_Permalink sp_Print

Strangely, after posting this I went back and checked on the GPS and none of the GCs I had marked as found this morning were marked. I marked them all again, and this time they showed in the logs.txt file and uploading them to gc.com worked, so maybe I didn't actually do the marking right in the field, but it's pretty simple and I don't think I did it any differently at home.

Oh well. Mysteries!

---
San Francisco, CA

May 14, 2011
7:21 pm
michaeln
Members
2904sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had a good morning with the 710 today. It worked well, no stalling. However, although I marked several GC as "found", and there was a logs.txt file on the machine when I got home, it didn't contain any info about the stuff I logged TODAY, it was all stuff I logged yesterday. Very strange.

Other than that though, the 710 worked well.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 14, 2011
3:49 pm
michaeln
Members
2900sp_Permalink sp_Print

It appears as if deleting ALL of the files in the USR directory has solved most of my problems. The GPS no longer "stalls out" when walking or approaching a WP or GC. The "Track Up" display works properly and does not rotate / spin.

There are still issues, (the "Error!" name for all WP and GC after uploading with GSAK ... but that is solved by deleting everything in USR too), the fierce battery consumption, the terrible keyboard, but at least the thing is USABLE for geocaching now. I can live with the rest of the warts until the Magellan team comes out with new firmware (but I do hope it's soon).

I'm going to go out and do some geocaching this morning before the rain starts.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 11, 2011
5:52 pm
zee
Members
Forum Posts: 21
2859sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks eor the input/feedback, guys. Things are looking up!
I recently found out that Lambert in the User Grid is functional, so now I can set a X10 to display in grid feet. I need this for State Plane usage in Utah. Also, this will let me see what the position improvement is, when I go from WAAS off to on. More noticeable when in the smaller units, rather than in Lat/Lon or UTM. Hope that it will let me set it up to display in inches, decimeters, and centimeters, like in a Meridian.
Good being able to cut the averaging on/off, so I can see how much having it on cuts down on the SiRF chip bounce.

I understand quad and regular patch antennas, but how does one hold a unit with a Multidirectional Patch antenna, for optimal performance, or does it matter?

Years ago I got a elec compass for the pickup. Instructions said to drive around in two circles with the headlights on and the ac/heater fan on hi, in less than so many seconds. Puzzeling, but whatever it takes to make it work. I understand all that better today, sort of....

Bob

May 11, 2011
5:10 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2855sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you Graham.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

May 11, 2011
11:55 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2847sp_Permalink sp_Print

S!G wrote:

SBAS can be switched on and off somewhere. I stumbled about that some time ago. I think, it was on the Sat screen. I can not look at it right now, today, I do not have my eX with me at work. (Only the Triton... XD)

Via tools/settings then satellite options button.

Graham.

May 11, 2011
11:13 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2846sp_Permalink sp_Print

SBAS can be switched on and off somewhere. I stumbled about that some time ago. I think, it was on the Sat screen. I can not look at it right now, today, I do not have my eX with me at work. (Only the Triton... XD)

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

May 11, 2011
5:37 am
phild31
Members
2845sp_Permalink sp_Print

Graham,

There is no comparison between them, the 710 is in a totally different class!
The electronic compass in my Triton 2000 was/is terrible!
I would have to calibrate it every 15 minutes and half the time it wouldn't calibrate.
I ended up leaving it shut off!

The 710 compass has worked very well for me until the upgrade, but after deleting the UGDS/BIN file (or whatever it is) it has worked fine for me since.

You can get along without the electronic compass by the way, just set the gps compass to kick in at 1 mph.
When you're standing still have the compass overlay the map and line the sun/moon icon on the compass with the sun/moon in the sky;

Don't get me wrong, I like and use the electronic compass in the 710 but I got the 710 for the driving directions, if the compass was the only thing not working it would not be a deal breaker for me. I would just shut it off & get along fine without it.

May 11, 2011
5:00 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
2844sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I went out to run some errands after making the screenshots and brought the 710 with me, the compass stayed working for over an hour without gps signal.

The compass working, calibrating and staying calibrated seems to be a firmware issue that has nothing to do with satellite reception.

If the satellite signals were used to calibrate why would we have to wave it in a figure eight?
Waving it around does give magnetic field readings to the electronics of the compass though.
Does that make any sense to anyone else?

That's is good to hear phil. What you are saying makes sense to me.

I hope Magellan can fix/improve this as it's not any area you can ignore when using the unit.

How would you compare the compass in the Tritons to the eXplorists?

Graham.

May 11, 2011
4:49 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
2843sp_Permalink sp_Print

zee wrote:

Can't the SBAS Sats MTSAT 1 and 2 be received in Australia?

I don't know but in Australia the government uses a non GPS system to improve aeroplane landing navigation which was the primary reason for introducing WAAS. The government may in the future introduce it but it is expensive and will require more satellites to be launched I believe.

Graham.

May 11, 2011
4:34 am
phild31
Members
2842sp_Permalink sp_Print

In Europe, the counterpart of WAAS, Egnos, works on the x10s for our European brothers & sisters.

Perhaps the The MTSAT 1 and 2 will work in Australia?

May 11, 2011
4:23 am
zee
Members
2841sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Phil.
When I scanned the manual I didn't see any WAAS off/on mentioned.

The MTSAT 1 and 2 are the Japanese "WAAS" sats.
MTSAT 1 lives at E 140 and
MTSAT 2 is at E 145

Bob

May 11, 2011
3:52 am
phild31
Members
2840sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I turned off 'gps' I was getting no signals of any kind.
I have not seen any controls for WAAS, when I'm getting a WAAS signal a 'W' appears over the signal strength bars.

I don't know what the SBAS Sats MTSAT 1 and 2 are.

The 510 does not have an electronic compass, 610/710 have the compass.

May 11, 2011
3:44 am
zee
Members
2839sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can WAAS on an X10 be turned on and off? (I haven't bought a 510 yet.)

Can't the SBAS Sats MTSAT 1 and 2 be received in Australia?

May 11, 2011
3:33 am
phild31
Members
2838sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes it does, at least as well as it does with the gps on.
I went out to run some errands after making the screenshots and brought the 710 with me, the compass stayed working for over an hour without gps signal.

The compass working, calibrating and staying calibrated seems to be a firmware issue that has nothing to do with satellite reception.

I have an electronic compass/thermometer/watch and it does not have a gps antenna, so I got to thinking......

If the satellite signals were used to calibrate why would we have to wave it in a figure eight?
Waving it around does give magnetic field readings to the electronics of the compass though.
Does that make any sense to anyone else?

May 11, 2011
3:04 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
2837sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I don't think the x10s use gps signals to calibrate the electronic compass.
I shut off the GPS and shut off the electronic compass, then turned on just the electronic compass, waved it in the air and it was calibrated.

With no gps signal at all the compass calibrated.

Phil,

I agree with you well done. Now we need to check whether the compass remains in a calibrated state with no GPS signal.

Graham.

May 10, 2011
10:13 pm
phild31
Members
2835sp_Permalink sp_Print

By the way, the electronic compass works perfectly as a compass with no gps signal at all.

Any problems with the compass are either the updated firmware or a hardware problem with a unit.
I had no problems with the compass at all until I updated the firmware.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online: jg_the_Prophet
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply