Free Software To Integrate Google Maps Routes | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Free Software To Integrate Google Maps Routes
December 3, 2011
9:08 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4638sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like fun - can I go next time?

December 3, 2011
9:06 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
4637sp_Permalink sp_Print

For a turn by turn route you would need a map of the roads you are on loaded onto the 710.
When I'm traveling on unmarked and unnamed roads in northern Maine I use whatever maps I have, topo, satellite, terrain, road and get coordinates to create points on a route I will create in VP.
It's time consuming and a pain.
Using Google to create the route and convert it to a route file I can use in the 710 would be nice but still, some of the roads/trails I'm using don't show on Google Earth because of tree cover in the forest.

A couple of years ago in northwest Maine some friends and I used a 19th century map to find an old river ford and abandoned village.
We used topo and satellite maps for rough coordinates and got to within 5 miles on old logging roads in the jeeps.
After a hike to the site we spent 3 days looking for artifacts and evidence of the settlement.
What we found was inconclusive but a team from the University of Maine
went there last year and confirmed that what we found was a semi permanent logging camp that was also used in the early 1900s as a winter camp for "market hunters" that shipped moose and deer meat to Boston & New York.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 3, 2011
2:15 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
4636sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't know - it sounds like it could be a useful tool to have! Yes, my eX710 will do "ROAD" routing, but I often have to do routing where there absolutely are no roads and the eX710 won't do that automatically. So, in the past I have had to create routes via Google Earth and VP so that I can identify the trails that are obvious on the satellite imagery displayed on my 26” computer screen, but that I can find when out in the desert or on the smaller eX-Screen. So when Mine tracking or Geocaching I can spend 5 or 6 days driving around in circles trying to figure out how to get somewhere or set the route before leaving and following the existing trails right to my destination….

December 2, 2011
6:34 pm
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
4635sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do not play to caches. I am taking part in the expeditions.
These regions do not have detailed vector maps. In these places, Google shows only a smooth carpet of forest.
There's only military topographic maps on paper. We scan them and upload as RMP. In addition, we use maps of the XIX century in RMP.
I plan a route and insert it to the points that I just know. In VantagePoint it is possible for the track, but you can not edit the route.
Use the track instead of the route is bad form. He was not invented for this purpose.
The route is a travel plan, which is to come.
Track - this is a report on the passed path. And no more.

Unfortunately, for many go on painted stripes. Cursor to the left - I'm right. Cursor to the right - I left. Do not need brains.
The route is much more convenient. He gives general direction to landmark you know. Know his name, distance, azimuth and arrival time. You can go and enjoy nature, not to bury his nose in the screen.

December 2, 2011
5:09 pm
phild31
Members
4633sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm talking about tracks.
If, for some reason, you want to create a turn by turn route just use VP.

Why the heck would you want a route using Google Maps, VP, TYRE or any other program for a long turn x turn route when the 710 will give you driving directions to wherever you're going all on it's own?
Just use VP before you leave home to see the rough route you'll take or the order of Geocaches you want to follow, then have the 710 generate the route on the fly.

December 2, 2011
3:27 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93
4632sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am talking about turn by turn highway routs,phil's program may do both but I don't believe TYRE will work off road ?? I have never used it for that.

December 2, 2011
9:46 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
4631sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do not understand. You're talking about routes or tracks. This is absolutely different concepts.

December 2, 2011
12:18 am
phild31
Members
4630sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is a link to a free KML2GPX converter.
I create a path on Google Earth, save it as a KML file, then convert it to GPX with this free utility.
It then loads to Vantage Point and my Explorist from Vantage Point.

KML2GPX

I have been using this converter for a while now, it works fast and easily.
You can edit the track on VP.

December 1, 2011
3:56 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93

Tyre is a piece of free software that allows you integrate your Google Maps routes into your Explorist 710.

At this time Tyre is designed for TomTom & Germin however if you draw your route and save in Germin (GPX) format ( it will work with your Explorist 710,) It may work with other Explorist models ??

DOWNLOAD

I have used this software for sometime now with my TomTom and it works great.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online: jg_the_Prophet
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply