Free Software To Integrate Google Maps Routes | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Free Software To Integrate Google Maps Routes
February 4, 2012
1:48 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5221sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks so much...I'll give it a try. Got several trails imported into my x710 now and am LOVING it. Custom Sockey maps, custom aerial maps, custom IMAGE scanned maps, custom editing of original specs...whew...this outta be an x1010 or something!

LOVING every minute of it...thanks all!

February 3, 2012
12:44 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
5211sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmebd wrote:

p.s. It might have been in another forum post but now that I've figured this out and also recently learned that there is a 200 track limit for this thing I'm wondering if anyone has or knows if some type of INI file or whatever can be modified to allow MORE tracks to be allowed or even if that is possible. 200 seems like a low number if we're gonna have to use "imported tracks" as trails....would be NICE to be able to convert them to something else such as say a MAP overlay I guess...I dunno..

This is a post that Caotix made a few months ago about increasing the number of tracks that can be saved;

I just edited the Atlas.ini with Notepad and changed following Data:

; Default: 65536 (0x10000) - max UGDS BIN file size: 256Mb
BAT_Length = 65536

MaxWaypointsCount = 2000
MaxGeocachesCount = 10000
MaxTracksCount = 200
MaxTrackPointsCount = 10000
MaxRoutesCount = 200
MaxRoutePointsCount = 500

into

BAT_Length = 262144

MaxWaypointsCount = 10000
MaxGeocachesCount = 10000
MaxTracksCount = 500
MaxTrackPointsCount = 50000
MaxRoutesCount = 500
MaxRoutePointsCount = 500

As you can see the number of waypoints is increased to 10.000 and the number of trackpoints to 50.000.
I use this setting now for several month and have no problems at all.

BTW - I had to re-do the edit after updating the firmware, so I printed a copy of the post for future reference.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

February 3, 2012
12:08 am
jmebd
Members
5210sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I just found out why my 5.4MB file is pooping out on me now during conversion. It contains TOO many different tracks and overwhelms the program. I FINALLY found a program, EXPERTGPS, that will load the large KMZ (or any other file) into it and allow me to export individually selected trails directly to my GPS (specified folder export...no DIRECT support of any x510, x610, or x710 but still works). Whew...I thought it was just me for a while. Now, I REALLY love this thing. Got trails that I've not been to that aren't listed in the x710 now on there for a heads up....YEAH! Thanks to all those involved in the suggestions previously tho.

p.s. It might have been in another forum post but now that I've figured this out and also recently learned that there is a 200 track limit for this thing I'm wondering if anyone has or knows if some type of INI file or whatever can be modified to allow MORE tracks to be allowed or even if that is possible. 200 seems like a low number if we're gonna have to use "imported tracks" as trails....would be NICE to be able to convert them to something else such as say a MAP overlay I guess...I dunno..

January 28, 2012
3:31 pm
jmebd
Members
5136sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll give both of those a try (I think I've tried both already but can't remember as I've installed a BUNCH of different ones LOL).

I just kept having trouble with it not actually converting anything at all. The KMZ file that I downloaded from a STATE site has a BUNCH of different trails and I'm HOPING that's not causing a problem in the conversion as they are all over the place. Anyone think that "may" be an issue with the large scattering of "tracks"? I wouldn't think so since you can pause and resume on the unit itself but hopefully there isn't just too much data for it to handle. Every time I tell a program to convert it, it drops from a 5MB file to like 1kb....just gotta be something stupid I'm doing I'm sure...

We'll see what good ole Phil's proggies do...will report back. Thanks for the replies guys!

EDIT: Nope...can't get em to convert properly (guess the first one you gotta pay for or something for it to do anything properly as it will not display ANYTHING after opening the KMZ or KML file). And the 2nd prog will not convert properly either.... The two programs just give me either a 510 byte or 324 byte file that is useless. Is there a limitation on data able to process on these programs or something? Like I said, my original file is 5.46MB in size and displays perfectly on Google Earth....

January 28, 2012
9:20 am
k-rok
Members
Forum Posts: 49
5130sp_Permalink sp_Print

thanks phild that's going to save me a few conversions, but at the time that's all i had. trying to fish lakes with just track outlines is difficult at best.
i will say the track conversions from Google Earth are very accurate.
thanks again phild.

January 28, 2012
8:35 am
phild31
Members
5127sp_Permalink sp_Print

Try either these;
kmz-kml to gpx

KML2GPX

I've used the KML2GPX to create tracks for my 710.

January 28, 2012
8:23 am
k-rok
Members
5126sp_Permalink sp_Print

it's easier to save the file as a kml file. just use the drop down from kmz save as.
if you check my posts there's one there with exact instructions on how to do it.
if you save it as a route flags come up at each point and clutters the screen but a track just shows dots at each point.
there where no maps at the time for Canada so i had to make them using tracks, that was a year ago so i forget exactly how i did it but it's in one of my posts. i used the trackmaker free program to do it.
hope that helps.

January 28, 2012
7:26 am
jmebd
Members
5125sp_Permalink sp_Print

So is there any way to get a KMZ file over to an x710 unit? I've got a really nice Google Earth KMZ file listing all the DNR trails in Indiana and have tried several things from what I've read on here to no avail. The file is 1.5MB in size and if I try to save it as a KML inside of Google earth is drops down to like a 5k file and doesn't have but just a few of the trails listed for some reason (or any at all on some of the programs)...I've tried it several times and still can't figure it out. Help???

December 14, 2011
12:25 am
k-rok
Members
4729sp_Permalink sp_Print

i made entire lake systems from google earth as tracks and downloaded it into my 310. i'm sure i put it on this forum. if i can do that then turn by turn or tracks to a lake should be pretty easy.

December 6, 2011
9:22 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
4661sp_Permalink sp_Print

In the world nothing is free. Any work when something will be paid.

In Russia, selling a clone of Evermore E-trace Handheld Navigator. Nobody bought it. We have designed a free program to exchange data. Navigator quickly sold out. The company had to order in China is a new party. We do not work at this company. We just did a good deed.

In our country, Triton is more popular than the Garmin. This is not the merit of Mitac. Thanks to Michael Sharonov. To download a Garmin large bitmap, you need to crack. Therefore, those who make their own maps, prefers Magellan.

The program does not provide a direct profit. It increases sales navigators. A good program - half of the advertising campaign. This helps a lot MOBAC.
If VP will import GeoTIFF, then we will increase sales at least twice. I would gladly pay $ 100 for this feature. Let the program will be free, and for imports to be paid like DigitalGlobe. Magellan would make a separate fee-paying utility. I think that the development costs of the program are not comparable with the income from sales.

IBM PC would not have been so widespread, if not open. Greed is never profitable.

December 6, 2011
3:17 am
phild31
Members
4660sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paganel wrote:

In my car set car navigator with a large screen. I use the Russian program Navitel. It is better suited for automatic routing.
To plan trips I used before the OziExplorer program by Des Newman. VP just upload points and routes and download tracks.The latest version of VP was so good that I can use it. I was hoping that developers will continue it.

In any case, under our conditions Triton and eXplorist better than other navigators.

What you have to realize is that Mitac inherited VP, with all it's limits, when they bought Magellan.
They did a few things to improve it but if it was easy to make VP do everything we want it to they would have done it long ago.
For a free mapping program VP is very good.
And before anyone tells me Google is free, well it's really not.
You get all those ads and Google spends millions on Google Earth because they make millions with it.
Magellan makes no money from VP.
Vantage Point was designed to be a basic application to use with a Magellan GPSr.
Until the new MITAC people improved VP I just ignored it because it was useless to me.
Now that it works and does much more than it used to I have found it to be a very useful tool.
Show me a free program that can do all of what Vantage Point does and links effortlessly with my Magellan GPS receivers.

Now, do I want it improved? Of course!
But how much will it cost me and/or Magellan?
I would rather Magellan spend their resources on the problems with the Explorist line.

VP is not prefect but what the heck, it's totally free and for what it is works pretty good.

Gee, I can't believe I am actually defending Vantage Point!!
My first posts on this forum were rants about what a stupid,@^%!*&[email protected]*# program VP is! :laugh:

And I always have my atlases, topos & compass with me on a trip.
I love maps, but electronic maps are like reading a book on a computer, it's alright but holding a book or map in your hands is just plain better! ๐Ÿ™‚

December 5, 2011
11:32 pm
jmebd
Members
4659sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just a 2 cents worth here to "maybe" lighten the discussion a bit but what ever happened to a good ole Atlas Map and the desire to just "wing it"? Isn't that what we all want is a good adventure? LOL Sometimes exactly what you're looking for is right in front of you while you're looking at the darn GPSr.... LOL....have fun!!!!!!

:silly:

December 5, 2011
10:31 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
4658sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paganel wrote:

Unfortunately VantagePoint developers did a very good editing tracks. They have not done this for the routes. This is very inconvenient.
You could persuade them, and it would be very good for users.

I totally agree with Paganel.
If we at least could have the same kind of editing for routes as we have for tracks, it would help us a lot. Please, Magellan.......
And if we in addition could be able to insert a new point anywhere in a route, it would be very useful.

It is very easy to create a route in VP. However it does require you to make it perfect the first time, as fixing it is nearly impossible. I constantly find myself unable to be perfect every time I create a route ๐Ÿ™ :blink:

And as Paganel points out (in this thread or another), in some cases Google Earth and other options cannot be used for planning. Some of us live, or travel, in areas where Google Earth's resolution only give us a faint idea of what's on the ground. Scanned military topo maps makes good rmp-maps, that shows beautifully in VP (and the GPS), and VP would be the obvious tool to use for planning.

BR
Sondre

December 5, 2011
9:05 pm
Paganel
Members
4657sp_Permalink sp_Print

In my car set car navigator with a large screen. I use the Russian program Navitel. It is better suited for automatic routing.
To plan trips I used before the OziExplorer program by Des Newman. VP just upload points and routes and download tracks.The latest version of VP was so good that I can use it. I was hoping that developers will continue it.

In any case, under our conditions Triton and eXplorist better than other navigators.

December 5, 2011
8:00 pm
phild31
Members
4656sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, for what you described, several days hiking with no roads it's better to have the waypoints linked in a route.

But my comments where about getting turn by turn directions.
For driving and using turn by turn directions with a 710 in the car all you need is a target waypoint, POI, address or geocache to have the 710 create the driving, turn by turn route to it.

I can enter an address in Florida and have the 710 create a turn by turn driving directions route, from my house in Massachusetts or where ever I happen to be. I can set it to stay off highways and it will give me driving directions to the address I entered. It will say "right turn in point 5 miles" and show on the screen the road map, it will zoom in or out depending on distance from the next turn, it will show how far to the next turn, the street name and how far to the end of the route. No other waypoints will be needed.

For a very long trip you just have some waypoints saved at strategic places along the planned route of travel, like where you will stop for gas or a motel for the night.
There is no need to create a route to load into the 710 for driving directions.

Vantage Point does not seem to be designed as a good editing tool, just as a tool to store your maps, waypoints, routes and tracks.
Magellan has been improving it lately, but it does not seem to be a high priority for them.

I can't persuade them about anything, I'm just a long time customer with a big mouth, but I have been complaining about Vantage Point for a long time.

December 5, 2011
5:59 pm
Paganel
Members
4655sp_Permalink sp_Print

The sports hike or expedition we go on foot from 5 to 25 days 10 - 15 miles a day without trails and roads. Every day we plan in VP a route from 10 to 15 waypoints. Each point is not just marked on the map. Each point is the landmark that is easy to find on the ground, even if the navigator get destroyed. From landmark ั‚ะพ landmark one kilometer or more. Choosing landmarks more often does not make sense.
Each route point has a name. I know where I marked it and that there should be. On the compass screen I see direction and distance to it. I can look in that direction and see where it is. I choose any place to go in there.
You can leave route. You can enable navigation to a different point, and then return to route. You can select a route point on that return.

You can go to waypoints, as suggested by phild31. But it is better to link them to the route. One can always go back to waypoints.

Track drawn into Google or topographic map, just a nameless line. Even converted into a route file, it will not be useful.

Unfortunately VantagePoint developers did a very good editing tracks. They have not done this for the routes. This is very inconvenient.
You could persuade them, and it would be very good for users.

December 5, 2011
5:08 pm
phild31
Members
4654sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, VP will do that also.

The route is transferred to the 710 as just a series of points, not as driving directions, the 710 will create the turn by turn directions from point to point.

Because it seems to use the same programing as VP it will usually create the same turn by turn directions that VP did.
That may not be true for a route created by Tyre/Google.
Tyre/Google will create a bunch of points to transfer to the 710, one for each turn.
So why load a bunch of points to the 710 when it doesn't need them?
On a long trip that could add up to a lot of memory use.

For me it's easier to load onto the 710 some waypoints on the general route I will be traveling on, basically to get me back on the highway from where ever I happen to be.

I've found that on a long trip it's easier to have turn by turn directions to just one point, not a series of points on a predetermined route.

December 5, 2011
3:49 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93
4653sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have to be honest I haven't played with VP that much but what I do like with TYRE/Google maps is that you can put your start and end points in and then use you mouse to drag your route where you want to go.
rather than put a bunch of waypoints in TYRE will do that for you.

December 4, 2011
6:46 pm
phild31
Members
4646sp_Permalink sp_Print

Do you mean you want to create a long turn by turn route to load into a 710 or other GPSr that can give you turn by turn directions?

On a long trip, in the planning stage I'll pick stops for food, gas, sleep, POI, friends, family, geocaches and anything else I think I might want to see along the way.
Those stops will be loaded as waypoints that I can have my 710 give me driving directions to whenever I feel like it, from where ever I happen to be.
I can use Vantage Point for planning the trip and loading my waypoints to the GPSr.

So, when I drove to western Pennsylvania this summer I made a bunch of waypoints to use as targets along the general route I was traveling on.
A turn by turn route from Boston, MA to Warren, PA would be a pain, I'm bound to see or hear about something on the way that piques my interest and will change my plans.
Then that long route is no longer relevant.

Basically, break-up the long trip into a bunch of daily short trips, then let the GPSr guide you to the next place you want to go to.

That's what I did last year (Aug & Sept 2010) driving from Boston to Seattle using my GC and Triton 2000 (before the 710 came out) and the laptop to plan the next days adventure in a motel or campground.

December 4, 2011
4:16 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93
4644sp_Permalink sp_Print

What I find with any GPS'r is that it will take you from point A to B on what it feels is shortest ,quickest or what ever you have you unit set for.
However if I am doing a trip say from Nova Scotia to Florida and I want to deviate my route from the direct route then I find TYRE & Google very handy.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 9
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply