Find Next in Vehicle mode not giving turn-by-turn. | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Find Next in Vehicle mode not giving turn-by-turn.
February 3, 2012
4:12 pm
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5219sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the heads up, as I mentioned I tried reselecting the vehicle profile multiple times with no affect, I'll try the checking the route mode this weekend.

Thanks!

P.S. I second ShortcutHicksy's suggestion the firmware automatically go back to turn-by-turn if you select next nearest geocache in vehicle mode.

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

February 3, 2012
6:54 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
5217sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil,

If the unit is in vehicle profile and after going point-to-point to find the cache you can reactivate turn-by-turn by pressing the button to the left of vehicle profile.

You do not need to select another profile and then back to vehicle, just press vehicle and the unit will be in turn-by-turn.

This is where I would like to see the firmware changed. If the unit is in vehicle profile and you use the ‘Find next nearest Geocache’ routine then the unit would automatically switched back to ‘On Road’ to reactivate turn-by-turn. This would avoid manually changing it back after each found cache.

Graham.

February 3, 2012
6:45 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
5216sp_Permalink sp_Print

Morel wrote:

There is no changing the profile back unless you manually changed it to begin with. The only thing the unit is changing when you answer yes is the route mode. Try it by going back to check what "Profile" the unit is still set on when finished or by cancelling the route. It is possible to do "point to point" in "Vehicle" profile.

I know that, all I was pointing out is there are two ways to return the unit to turn-by-turn, either changing the routing option back to On Road or push the button to the left of vehicle profile, which will do the same as changing route option.

I understand that any of the profiles can be in either point-to-point or multi point mode.

Graham.

February 3, 2012
6:44 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
5215sp_Permalink sp_Print

Right, it's still in 'Vehicle' and doing point to point but when I cancel the route (by marking it as 'found' or just cancelling the route) it's still in 'Vehicle' profile but when I 'go' to another cache it won't do driving directions unless I change it to any other profile and then change back to 'Vehicle'.

I don't know if it's supposed to behave this way but that's what it does!

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

February 3, 2012
5:10 am
Morel
Guests
5214sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

There are basically two ways to do that. Go to ‘Route Options’ in setting and set ‘Routing Method’ to On Road or go to ‘Profile’ and press the button to the left of Vehicle profile to switch the unit back to On Road.

Graham.

phild31 wrote:

I then have to change profile to 'Geocaching' then back to 'Vehicle' to get directions again.

There is no changing the profile back unless you manually changed it to begin with. The only thing the unit is changing when you answer yes is the route mode. Try it by going back to check what "Profile" the unit is still set on when finished or by cancelling the route. It is possible to do "point to point" in "Vehicle" profile.

February 3, 2012
4:53 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
5213sp_Permalink sp_Print

KI4HLW wrote:

P.S. phild31, no need to mention you don't use that feature. 😉

I use this feature a lot, but whenever I tap yes for point to point I then have to change profile to 'Geocaching' then back to 'Vehicle' to get directions again.
And just to make matters worse, the smart compass does not work when I tap yes for point to point.
For a short walk to the cache I use the point to point and for a long hike I tap no then change profile to geocaching and start the go-to again to get the smart compass.

So I both use and don't use that feature! 😉 Sorry :blush:

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

February 3, 2012
3:17 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
5212sp_Permalink sp_Print

KI4HLW wrote:

I have not been able to get it to give me turn-by-turn directions since that day. I'm sure it has to be something simple and stupid I'm missing, but I can't figure it out.

When you answered ‘Yes’ to changed the routing to point to point the unit is then set in that mode. If you wish to use turn by turn for the next cache you have set the unit to ‘On Road’ mode.

There are basically two ways to do that. Go to ‘Route Options’ in setting and set ‘Routing Method’ to On Road or go to ‘Profile’ and press the button to the left of Vehicle profile to switch the unit back to On Road.

Graham.

February 2, 2012
9:47 pm
Morel
Guests
5209sp_Permalink sp_Print

The unit asked if you wanted to continue point to point. It then switched the route option, not the profile mode. The route option will stay point to point until you go back and change it as sondre described. You can manually change the routing method at any time while in a route, in any Profile, to either Hike (off road), Pedestrian (on road), Bike (on road), or Vehicle (on road). It would be less confusing if the options were just On Road, or Off Road.

February 2, 2012
9:14 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
5208sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe there are easier ways... What I do:
Tap lower right icon, tap "route options" and switch to the Vehicle Routing method

BR
Sondre

February 2, 2012
8:37 pm
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64

So driving home from a weekend trip with we had some extra time and decided to geocache our way home. Using the X710 As we drove along we kept missing the turns because the straight line path made it hard to figure out what roads to take. Then it hit me! This thing does turn-by-turn directions, duh.

Changing to vehicle mode we easily made way to the first cache and after parking the car a few 100 feet away the X710 asked if we would like to "change to direct path, walking mode, or something like that" so I clicked OK and we easily walked to our first cache.

Getting back in the car I choose the next closest cache and waited for the turn-by-turn which never came... I checked vehicle mode was on, made sure the cache was near a road, rebooted the unit, changed to geocaching mode and back, all to no avail. I have not been able to get it to give me turn-by-turn directions since that day. I'm sure it has to be something simple and stupid I'm missing, but I can't figure it out.

P.S. phild31, no need to mention you don't use that feature. 😉

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply