eXplorst 610/310 and VP Grouping Feature | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
eXplorst 610/310 and VP Grouping Feature
November 20, 2011
12:54 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4599sp_Permalink sp_Print

I sent a note off to Richard at Magellan to see what he can tell us about the possible return of the grouping feature in the coming version of VP.

David

November 19, 2011
7:43 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
4598sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, you can !
I do it all the time. Sockeye's tool is very useful !

November 19, 2011
2:44 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
4597sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got ahold of a copy of the RMP tools and tried it out on the 71 satellite image chunks that I had and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! WOW! SO much easier and nicer looking now thanks to Sockeye and all who led us to him!!!

Another question tho...say I want to add another chunk to the satellite imagery. Can I just run the single map thru it and throw it in with the other maps and have it group up with the correct ones as long as the naming fields match when I convert it to the ones I used before? I suppose I could just try it out for myself and see what happens but am just curious...

thanks again!!!

November 17, 2011
2:46 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
4587sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can, for RMP maps, so the mobac ones would group with the Rmp Tools program. You just won't see them grouped in the new VP version.

Maybe rename all your .IMI maps to .POI and have them all turn on or off by selecting Overlay Maps.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

November 17, 2011
12:53 pm
jmebd
Members
4585sp_Permalink sp_Print

So I'm guessing nobody knows how to make a new group under the map selection or if it's even possible to begin with then right?

Instead of just the "Imagery" entry it would be cool to have:

"Satellite Imagery"
"Topographic Imagery"
"Terrain Imagery"
etc...

and we could put the imagery files in the appropriate folders and turn whatever we wanted on/off with one click as a group for those of us who utilize MOBAC or any other custom map type. Would make alternating/changing display's so much faster. I see what 4explor is wanting and I've thought about it also. I've made probably 30 grid's of both satellite & topographic images from mobac and have to manually click or de-click each and every one whenever I want to display a different type of image. Terrain isn't so bad as there isn't as much data so the area can be larger but it sure does take a few minutes to click so much on all the image files....would be a wonderful feature to have included in a future release of the firmware or some other way.

November 17, 2011
9:28 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
4584sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sockeye wrote:

VP does not support this function aynmore. Even the "regular" Summit Series maps are not correctly displayed. (from a grouping point of view)

And is there any hope that this function returns to the VP?
The same issue and on other features, which work for Triton but do not work with eXploriast. For example viewing and deleting data in the GPS.

November 17, 2011
5:03 am
denisetdoris
Members
4583sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can't be done.

What you CAN do is rename some to .poi and they'll appear as Overlay Maps, which you can select multiple of those. I've had a bunch of my Maps4Me imi's renamed this way and had them overlayed over the standard Canada.imi, way cool. Just plug it in, connect to computer, and rename all the IMI 3rd party maps to POI and restart the unit.

You won't be able to have them grouped, but you'll at least have the Canada.imi and the Sockeye maps (as many as you want) active at the same time. And BTW - you might consider his new CanMatrix Canada .imi map, they're much nicer than the old set he had of Canada. It's a pretty big download but well worth it. You can choose either the Canada.imi (Maggie's) or the CanMatrix.imi (Sockeye's), but not both, but again, the other Sockeye maps will work as POI Overlay maps. Just make sure you have an 8G card or bigger if you have tons of maps. (My 8G card has about 900Meg free, just maps on it !)

The 2nd pic is showing what your maps will look like (the rmp maps) if they aren't "fixed" with the RMP Tools program.

November 17, 2011
4:45 am
4xplore
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 3
4582sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmebd wrote:

I'm kinda wondering if 4explore is wanting what I would love to have....

Basically I've got three different sets of maps (not including the ones that come with the unit). Topo's, Terrain, and Satellite imagery. I'd LOVE to be able to toggle the topo's on/off in one click and in another single click enable all the satellite imagery or the terrain imagery. Right now, I have to go into image maps and select/deselect each and every single one that I created individually and it works but is kind of long winded. Would be nice to have it set for a top level group selection.

That what you're asking 4expolore? I'd love to know how to do it...

Yes that is exactly what I want to do. I can't even select multiple IMI files. If I have one selected and then I select another it turns off the previous one. How do you have multiple IMI topo maps showing?

November 17, 2011
3:19 am
jmebd
Members
4581sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm kinda wondering if 4explore is wanting what I would love to have....

Basically I've got three different sets of maps (not including the ones that come with the unit). Topo's, Terrain, and Satellite imagery. I'd LOVE to be able to toggle the topo's on/off in one click and in another single click enable all the satellite imagery or the terrain imagery. Right now, I have to go into image maps and select/deselect each and every single one that I created individually and it works but is kind of long winded. Would be nice to have it set for a top level group selection.

That what you're asking 4expolore? I'd love to know how to do it...

November 16, 2011
10:46 am
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
4580sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all,

yes, VP does not support this function aynmore. Even the "regular" Summit Series maps are not correctly displayed. (from a grouping point of view)

The eXplorist (x10 series) supports this function for raster maps and vector maps. But my RMP Tool only supports the RMP maps. In theory the same priciple applies to vector maps, but using the tool on vector maps will destroy some vector maps, as e.g. the official Magellan Maps. This is the reason I did not include the vector map option in the Tool. (and will not)

I am including this function in all my new maps I am publishing. For example the new Canada Canmatrix Summit maps. (Same data as Magic Maps)

It is displayed under the Map Type SUMMIT SERIES

and tapping on it will display the respective sub-maps (14 single maps + 1 topo file)

All checked sub-maps will be displayed smultaniously

The new Canada maps are still not published on Maps4me.net but are already available for download here: See respective topic...

Best regards,
Sockeye

November 16, 2011
6:31 am
4xplore
Toronto
Members
4579sp_Permalink sp_Print

denisetdoris wrote:

No it won't. The tool (program) was made to fix all the homemade maps we all made for our Triton gps's, so they'd work on the eX line. His program was never intended for IMI maps.

Never noticed the grouping disappeared with 2.17 - I want my maps to be selectable individually in VP, but don't mind the grouping on the unit - ie - 042-G has 16 individual maps... so I "tool" those maps to be grouped with only that map area. Thus one checkmark activates 16 maps. I have 5 such groups on my MicroSD, along with many other maps.

That is exactly what I want to do. Basically I need to have the feature for my father-in-law. We bought him a ex310 for his birthday so that he'll have a GPS that can show topo maps. I already had the IMI (vector) maps for Ontario from MagicMaps and gave him the ones for the area he needed. Thankfully he only needed one of the maps for his trip this week, so that was easy for him. I'd like to be able to group the maps on the unit, he'll never use VP, I'll be the one to upload and download data for him. Is there any way I can group the maps on the GPS itself? I have to admit that I love the new Magellan line, but they need better manuals. Their quick start and "full" manual are barely different, and half of the features they talk about, including this "grouping" on the unit aren't mentioned on the instructions. Either way, can I manually group them on the unit?

Thank you for everyone's help and quick response. I never expected such a return on answers. This is a great forum!

November 16, 2011
3:53 am
denisetdoris
Members
4578sp_Permalink sp_Print

No it won't. The tool (program) was made to fix all the homemade maps we all made for our Triton gps's, so they'd work on the eX line. His program was never intended for IMI maps.

Never noticed the grouping disappeared with 2.17 - I want my maps to be selectable individually in VP, but don't mind the grouping on the unit - ie - 042-G has 16 individual maps... so I "tool" those maps to be grouped with only that map area. Thus one checkmark activates 16 maps. I have 5 such groups on my MicroSD, along with many other maps.

November 15, 2011
5:39 pm
sondre
Members
4575sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, but the question was:
"How do I group my maps and make them selectable on the GPS all at once?"

Grouping would be done with a tool like Sockeye's "RMP tools".
But, as the name indicates this tool is for RMPs (raster maps).

Yes, It's a pitty VP lost the grouping in the newest version (hope they fix it). But the most important is to have it work on the GPS.
Raster maps grouped with "RMP tools" work nicely om the eXplorist x10s.

But will it work om vector maps ?

BR
Sondre

November 15, 2011
5:24 pm
Paganel
Members
4574sp_Permalink sp_Print

denisetdoris wrote:

It was probably the RMP Tools program that Sockeye made so rmp maps could be used on the x10 series.

The maps, which are shown on the screenshot, most likely, it is from there and taken.
In eXplorist they are grouped normal. IN the VP 2.17 are shown without grouping. After you reinstall the version 2.04, again grouped correctly.

November 15, 2011
5:23 pm
sondre
Members
4573sp_Permalink sp_Print

But... Will Sockeye's tool work with vector maps (as the question was)?
I'm doubtful. Sockeye knows. Wait for him !

November 15, 2011
2:19 pm
denisetdoris
Members
4572sp_Permalink sp_Print

It was probably the RMP Tools program that Sockeye made so rmp maps could be used on the x10 series. You should find it under the Sockeye Maps4Me section on the main forum page.

November 15, 2011
12:23 pm
emmanuel
Members
Forum Posts: 7
4571sp_Permalink sp_Print

It would be nice to have this feature back !
Does Magellan know about it?

November 15, 2011
10:20 am
Paganel
Members
4570sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have never used this feature, but we have a forum http://tourist.kharkov.ua/phpb.....8;start=75 this issue was discussed.

In previous versions of VP the cards sorted by provider and the group, as shown in the illustration.

6630738uqe.jpg

Provider and a group you can set the utility RMPTool

IN the VP version 2.17 this feature stopped working. In version 2.04 this function is works.

November 15, 2011
7:50 am
4xplore
Toronto
Members

I have a question regarding the X10 series and VP software. I keep hearing about the "group and sorting" feature on the explorist series and VP. How do I group my maps and make them selectable on the GPS all at once? I'm using the free vector maps from MagicMaps. I basically want to setup a group of topo maps for all of the 042 datum and be able to have them all turned on at once. I have seen screen shots on this forum with people doing that. Can someone give me a step by step or direct me to an instruction book that explains it. I checked the Magellan website and neither of the manuals, quick or full, have any mention of that feature or how to do it. Thanks!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply