Explorist 710 vs. Triton 2000 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 710 vs. Triton 2000
March 8, 2011
5:49 am
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1702sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got my eX710 a few days ago and must say :woohoo:
On the flight back from Las Vegas I kept it running in suspend mode in the seat pocket and it got the complete flightpath. It keeps contact with satellites better then the T2000, so I think that the missing antenna connector isn't such a great issue. But I will keep my T2000 anyway, you never know :silly:

March 8, 2011
5:37 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
1700sp_Permalink sp_Print

I managed to sell my T-500 with all the cables and vehicle mount for $150, kept the case, and see-ya with the rest. Sent in my busted 210 for the Customer exchange program, and grabbed up a 610 Canada edition. Can't wait for it to come in !

I'll not miss the Triton too much, although it was good to me, and I never had trouble with it.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 8, 2011
12:26 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
1697sp_Permalink sp_Print

sondre wrote:

Thanks !!
Now I don't miss a thing from the T2000.

Darn it, does that mean you won't buy my used T2000? 😉
I knew I should'a waited and tried to sell the Triton. 👿

Although I must admit I still use the T2000 now & then. :blush:

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 8, 2011
12:12 am
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
1696sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks !!
Now I don't miss a thing from the T2000.
The eX710 is really the thing (and it keep me alive.. 😛 )

March 7, 2011
9:20 pm
phild31
Members
1694sp_Permalink sp_Print

sondre wrote:

There are a few things from the T2000 I miss in the 710:
1) The ability to check sun/moon and fish/hunt for other places than “current position”. I have found no way to do that (it’s easy with the T2000)
2) The “Set Custom Position” feature. I have used it a lot, and do miss it on the 710.

I hope these things gets implemented in future releases.

The 710 really is a GREAT GPS !!!

Go to 'Settings' - then to 'GPS' - toggle GPS off and set coordinates or use the map to set a position.
Then go to Sun and Moon - it will give you sun/moon and Fish/Hunt at the position you set.
That is the "Set Custom Position" feature also.

That was an amazing story and quite scary!
Congratulations on keeping your head and getting home safe! :woohoo:

March 7, 2011
7:08 pm
sondre
Members
1693sp_Permalink sp_Print

Brent, Yes it was scary....... The next day the boat was filled with life jackets. And I hope the catain gets himself a decent GPS. I'm not going out without one after this.

I'm sure you are correct about the the 38 hours.
Remember my test was in very cold weather, well below freezing.
Even though the new Eneloops have a fantastic performance when it's cold they are not completely unaffected...
I will do a test in more normal conditions.

BR
Sondre

March 4, 2011
3:50 pm
Brent Owen
Members
Forum Posts: 56
1668sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sondre, That is an amazing story, it must have been very scary. I bet the captain will put a GPS on his wish list.

It is good to know that you get over 30 hours of tracking in suspend mode. My calculations indicated that you should be able to get up to 38 hours with 2000 mAh rechargeable batteries, but I have not tried a full length test.

March 2, 2011
1:50 am
sondre
Members
1666sp_Permalink sp_Print

The active suspend mode of the eXx10 makes me happy !
I always hoped that Magellan would do something like that. When I read that eXx10s actually would have such a feature, I got very excited and couldn't wait to get a 710 to replace my T2000. I often use my GPS just for tracking my movements when skiing, paddling, hiking.... My hope was that active suspend mode would eliminate the need for changing batteries even on the longest of my skiing trips.
I was positively surprised: The batteries lasts “forever” ! I get well over 30 hours on 2000mAh rechargeables even when it’s cold ! That’s impressive, and has made my life a lot easier.

Since day 1 I have loved my 710. And now I love it even more since it saved my life (and my friends life) on Saturday.
We were our boating in the Carribean. The 710 was in the pocket of my jacket in active suspend mode when we were hit by really nasty weather. The captain totally lost the idea of the direction, and was apparently without a compass.
Things were really critical, the waves were like mountains… When I noticed that this experienced captain had turned into an extremely worried man, I knew we had a big problem, and I pulled out my 710.
We were all fully occupied trying to remain in the boat in the extreme waves, so the ease of use of the 710 was very important. Thanks to the 710 and the beautiful maps made with Mobac we made it back to the island. The GPS track showed that the captain was “way off”. Without my GPS we would have disappeared in the big ocean….

There are a few things from the T2000 I miss in the 710:
1) The ability to check sun/moon and fish/hunt for other places than “current position”. I have found no way to do that (it’s easy with the T2000)
2) The “Set Custom Position” feature. I have used it a lot, and do miss it on the 710.

I hope these things gets implemented in future releases.

The 710 really is a GREAT GPS !!!

February 24, 2011
3:18 pm
Dustydew
Members
Forum Posts: 28
1599sp_Permalink sp_Print

I feel the need to add my two cents...
My very first GPS was a Triton 2000 and I loved it. Once we got through the learning curve we ended up with two more of them as well. For Christmas I got a 710. So, now I use the 710 and hubby uses a T2000 whenever we go out in the woods (geocaching, hiking, riding, etc.). I have to say, in the tall timber in Southern Oregon, the T2000 with the external antenna plugged in is more accurate than the 710. Now outside of the deep woods the 710 does fine. And, yes all the bells and whistles are nice for geocaching, but I honestly think I like my T2000 better for hiking and riding. I like the track better on the T2000 and most definitely like the size of the position arrow. (Yes, I have heard that is going to change on the 710 with an update, but when?)

Don't get me wrong, I think the 710 is a wonderful tool, but we are not giving up our T2000s until their bitter dying days... 🙂

February 24, 2011
2:55 am
phild31
Members
1596sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've been stuck working on the house for a few days, I stop for coffee and light up the computer.............

And I've got a big mouth when I'm a little bored. 😉

February 24, 2011
2:51 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
1595sp_Permalink sp_Print

yes, we can see that ... your post numbers are climbing exponentially .....!

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

February 24, 2011
2:48 am
phild31
Members
1594sp_Permalink sp_Print

Morel wrote:

I'm enjoying the argument of how good the eXplorist is instead of complaining about it's problems or how to get it working properly :side:

Yeah, this is a lot more fun than it was trying to get the Triton to work right. 😛

The biggest problem with the new Explorists is that there are no major problems to complain about! :silly:

February 24, 2011
2:36 am
Morel
Guests
1593sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm enjoying the argument of how good the eXplorist is instead of complaining about it's problems or how to get it working properly :side:

February 24, 2011
2:25 am
phild31
Members
1592sp_Permalink sp_Print

NO it does not come with a stylus and you don't really need a stylus with the 710.
Sometimes when it's very cold it's easier to use the back of a pen as a stylus than gloves/mittens.

February 24, 2011
2:24 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1591sp_Permalink sp_Print

No, the 710 does not come with a stylus!

February 24, 2011
2:21 am
andrewmchorney
Members
Forum Posts: 10
1590sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Caotix wrote:

Come on guys, the Triton2000 is a great piece.
It has a connection for external antenna,
It has a separate earphone plug

My Triton 2000 is a great unit, but the 710 is so much better there is hardly a comparison.

Yes the 2000 has a connection for external antenna, that I used but never really needed.
Yes it has a separate earphone plug, but an iPod or my iPhone is easier to use for music, sounds much better and never crashes when I want to zoom out on a map.
The 710 works fine with gloves on.
The stylus that came with the Triton is a joke, too small to use so I used a larger stylus, the same one I sometimes use with the 710 now.
I keep firm pressure with my finger on the 710 screen to swipe for scrolling and never select anything unintentionally.

I used my Triton 2000 for years and loved it, but I also loved my 1985 Dodge truck that I bought new in '85. My 2005 Nissan truck is so much better in every way I would never dream of going back to the old Dodge.

I missed some of the features on the Triton 2000, for about 2 days!

I had already bought the 710 before I knew about the trade-in deal, and I would pay full price for it again!

I doubt if I'll ever put batteries in the Triton again, the GC is a better back up unit.

Anyone want to buy a used Triton 2000?

Does the 710 come with a stylus?

February 24, 2011
2:20 am
phild31
Members
1589sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Miniwhip wrote:

Flashlight... :dry:

Right! 👿

If you used it the batteries would die in half an hour! :angry:

That's just a bit of hyperbole. :blush:

But, the only reason to keep using a Triton is if you can't afford to buy a new Explorist.

I like the GC better than my Triton 2000!

February 24, 2011
2:11 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1588sp_Permalink sp_Print

Actually, I have used the flashlight several time while Geocaching and I never really did have a battery issue!!! But giving it up was well worth it!!!

February 24, 2011
2:06 am
phild31
Members
1587sp_Permalink sp_Print

Miniwhip wrote:

Flashlight... :dry:

Right! 👿

If you used it the batteries would die in half an hour! :angry:
I have a flashlight that works better, is brighter, lasts longer and doesn't eat my GPSr batteries!

February 24, 2011
2:02 am
phild31
Members
1586sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caotix wrote:

Come on guys, the Triton2000 is a great piece.
It has a connection for external antenna,
It has a separate earphone plug

My Triton 2000 is a great unit, but the 710 is so much better there is hardly a comparison.

Yes the 2000 has a connection for external antenna, that I used but never really needed.
Yes it has a separate earphone plug, but an iPod or my iPhone is easier to use for music, sounds much better and never crashes when I want to zoom out on a map.
The 710 works fine with gloves on.
The stylus that came with the Triton is a joke, too small to use so I used a larger stylus, the same one I sometimes use with the 710 now.
I keep firm pressure with my finger on the 710 screen to swipe for scrolling and never select anything unintentionally.

I used my Triton 2000 for years and loved it, but I also loved my 1985 Dodge truck that I bought new in '85. My 2005 Nissan truck is so much better in every way I would never dream of going back to the old Dodge.

I missed some of the features on the Triton 2000, for about 2 days!

I had already bought the 710 before I knew about the trade-in deal, and I would pay full price for it again!

I doubt if I'll ever put batteries in the Triton again, the GC is a better back up unit.

Anyone want to buy a used Triton 2000?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply