Explorist 710: Going from hiking to driving | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 710: Going from hiking to driving
January 8, 2012
6:30 am
dwolfeman
Members
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4875sp_Permalink sp_Print

What you said in your words after the picture is the crux of things and I think it's really going to help. THAT is exactly what I'm trying to do. I know I tried that, but I think I must have just hit the words in the profile instead of the radio buttons when I tried to change things. I've now set up my two buttons like you and I'll give it a go sometime soon, although I'm not sure when I'll get a chance. Thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly. The screen pic that you showed is the one that I've been using every time to change from hiking to driving (routing via the turns) because I didn't think the geocaching versus vehicle profile was doing the trick. Still not sure why I thought that based on playing with the unit a minute ago. :dry:

January 8, 2012
6:02 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
4874sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm not sure what you are talking about re: geocaching profile in 'hiking' and vehicle in 'on road'

You can't change the geocaching profile from hiking mode and vehicle profile is always 'on road'.

Do you mean 'Route Options'?
This is how I have route options set-up, and I never change it.
Go to Settings - 'Route Options';

From vehicle profile after giving me driving directions close to the cache I change profile to geocaching and the route is now a straight line to the cache.
After marking the cache as found I start a route to another cache, get in the truck and change profile to vehicle and it calculates a driving route to the cache I'm in the go-to route for.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

January 8, 2012
1:44 am
dwolfeman
Members
4872sp_Permalink sp_Print

I originally set my unit up like you did....putting profile on the button. What I was originally hoping was that I could get the hiking versus driving flipover to happen when going between "vehicle" and "geocaching". What I've found is that it doesn't happen. I thought that if I set up my geocaching profile to always be "hiking" and my vehicle profile to always be in driving ("on road") mode, I could swap between them accordingly and have it route accordingly. That doesn't seem to be the case. If I'm wrong about that and doing something incorrectly, please let me know. I just recall being very disappointed when I couldn't swap between the two routing choices that way.....because changing the profile is a wee bit quicker than having to use the "route options" routine.

January 7, 2012
11:25 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
4869sp_Permalink sp_Print

What I do is I have the top side button set to give me the 'Profiles' page, then I can change from 'Vehicle' to 'Geocaching' & back very easily, press the button, tap the profile I want and tap the left arrow on the bottom of the screen to return to map, or whatever.

The other button I have set to give me the geocache list, when I'm on a 'go-to' instead of the list it gives me the cache page I'm going to, so I check the description, photo or hint, press the button and go back to whatever page (map) I was on!

I stopped using the "find the next closest cache" after marking a cache as found. I just tap 'No' for that and for writing a log/message.
This feature was causing too many problems.
I just press the lower side button for the geocaches list!
The found list will still go to your field notes on GC.com & VP.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

January 7, 2012
10:26 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
4867sp_Permalink sp_Print

I too feel your pain. I have created several routes in areas that I'm unfamiliar with (usually back country caches) and everything is hunky-dory starting off on your way. When you get to your first cache (or near enough to the point that's nearest your cache on a route it will ask if you want to continue using point-to-point navigation (yes/no) and you can go from there). It works well enough I suppose but I too do NOT like how it's setup with all the clicking and navigating crap on screen. You CAN just do the next point on the route if you leave it in navigation mode and you can find the cache without dropping into geocaching mode. If you drop into it though you HAVE to jump back to navigation to get turn by turn so pretty much what you're doing is what you have to do. I know it's a pain but it does work....just not the way a "normal" person would want it to work. LOL Or not...guess it's really not that funny sometimes.

BTW...I think you have to be in geocaching mode to mark the cache as found...I might be mistaken though. I don't do a LOT of navigating like that sooooo... I've gotten to where I like to have it marked on the unit and just do the field not upload when I get home. Had taken several trips with buddies and it's just SO much easier than trying to input them one by one when I get home.

Can't say that mine asks to go to the next cache...If I remember correctly mine asks to find the next nearest cache and since that function doesn't work on almost all our units yet it gets some crazy cache pulled up about 5000+ miles from where I'm at. You bring to my mind an interesting notion though by being on a route I'm wondering if the "find the next closest cache" is actually working that way....hmm...Anyone????

January 7, 2012
6:05 pm
dwolfeman
Members

When I go for a cache I have the unit route me there in the driving mode. Upon arrival after driving, it asks if I want to switch over to the hiking mode (not in those words...can't remember exactly what it says). I say "yes" and then use the map to get me to the cache....and even have an alarm set up for 20 feet which puts the blinking circle around the cache when near. I then find it and show it as "found", and then it asks if I want to go to the next cache and I say "yes" and then choose one. Then comes the reason for this thread. When I choose the next one and route to it, it's in hiking mode and draws the straight line to it. I then have to go through a couple of screens and pick the option for "routing options" and tell it to change to driving mode, at which time it calculates the best route and then off I go. Just like upon arrival from driving when it asks if you want to swap to the hiking mode, I wish it would do this in reverse and ask if you want to go to the driving mode! Is there any way to swap between these modes faster than I am doing it through having to do the "route options"? I really don't think so but thought I would ask. I'm having to swap modes after every cache is found and that is a bit of an overkill. Not the end of the world.....just trying to see if I can improve things. Thanks!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply