Explorist 710 Comments. | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 710 Comments.
March 2, 2011
6:39 am
litngbug
Members
Forum Posts: 42
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1667sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well today we went out caching and the problem started up again, freezing up anywhere from 10-150+ feet away from GZ, it made for a long day as I did not load caches in the 1500 so I had to manually enter caches so we could find many of them.
'bug

February 8, 2011
5:34 am
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
1391sp_Permalink sp_Print

GC profile with hiking, I've not had it happen with the auto routing yet...though there have been times that it didn't kick me from auto routing even though it's set to do so <4mph. I don't consider that much of a bug since I can go to hiking and it routes just fine.

February 8, 2011
5:00 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1390sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sarge,

Which "Routing Method" do you have selected?

David

February 8, 2011
4:40 am
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
1389sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does anyone know when the new update will be avalible? Been running into the freeze problem while approaching the cache and would love the unit to boot up a tad faster amoung other things.

February 5, 2011
11:35 pm
litngbug
Members
1367sp_Permalink sp_Print

David,
I reloaded the update again this morning and the unit appears to be working correctly now, it counted down to zero at both of the caches I found today. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.
'bug

February 2, 2011
1:47 am
litngbug
Members
1329sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have only had it in geocache mode, no worries on an answer "right now". I have not changed between profiles yet, before I loaded he 3.23 the unit was working fine

February 2, 2011
1:20 am
David
Members
1328sp_Permalink sp_Print

Litngbug,

Just one question, which profile are you in when you approach the cache?

Also, I want to let you know that I've contacted the project manager at Magellan about your issue and he's going to be getting back to me about it. I know you want an answer right now, however, if I don't hear from him tomorrow I'm going to be seeing him on Thursday and I find out what he wants to do, because I don't believe this is a firmware issue. Like I said, I had the same problem on the first 710 I had, but the 710 I have now has the new firmware on it and it is working great. Actually, I'm finding the 710 to be more accurate and faster responding than my Tritons and that is saying something, because the Tritons are extremely accurate for consumer GPSrs...

David

February 2, 2011
12:25 am
litngbug
Members
1327sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, did all that and here is what happened, I drove up to one of my caches and pulled over about 50 ft away, got out and walked towards the cache and the track stopped and the distance and coordinates would not move, walked all over and the track points never moved. Drove off, came back and pulled up next to it when it said 10 ft and it stopped again... anyone have the original firmware?
'bug

February 1, 2011
7:34 pm
David
Members
1326sp_Permalink sp_Print

LitngBug,

Try deleting all Waypoints and caches from the unit and then clear the memory. Then download the update from the Magellan site and run the update again. Then reload your caches and see what happens. If you still have a problem after doing this please let me know. I'm very interested to see what happens, because the first 710 that I had did the same thing, but it had been manually updated by Magellan and they thought it was an upgrade issue, howevever, if you're having the same issue with the posted update then there is something else going on.

Thanks,
David

February 1, 2011
7:14 pm
litngbug
Members
1325sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I updated the 710 last night and when I went out today to look for a few caches, the thing would lock up counting down the distance to the cache, would not go below 36 ft, changed batteries and the coordinates would not count down either, not sure what to make of it. Am going to try again in a bit to go to a waypoint and will let you know what happens.
'bug

January 26, 2011
12:53 am
litngbug
Members
1271sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got the 710 yesterday and took it out for some cache maint today. Played with it while the wife drove out to the slough. It may take some time to get used to, but this looks good! the rmp maps look good and I love the ability to mark a waypoint by pushing a button. Still have the clear sheet on the camera lens but it still takes pretty good pics! Did load 1k caches but did not go look for any though. That will be later...feels a lot different than my Triton 1500......
'bug

January 22, 2011
2:09 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
1238sp_Permalink sp_Print

litngbug wrote:

My 710 will be here on Monday :cheer: , traded a Meridian Color that tumbled of the car at 45 mph and messed up the screen, but other than that it still kept traks etc. I need to do a lot of reading I see to get the full potential!

'bug

Welcome to the forum.
You are going to love the 710!

One thing you will need to get is a micro SD card, the unit does not come with one.
I have a Sandisk 8GB micro SD card and have had no problems using it in my 710.

You will have no major problems using the 710, it's very user friendly.
Any problems or questions, the folks on this forum will be happy to help you figure out solutions.
Plus, you should download the user manual from Magellan, the paper manual that comes with it will just get you started.

Good luck & have fun with your new 710;

Phil

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

January 22, 2011
12:09 am
litngbug
Members
1233sp_Permalink sp_Print

My 710 will be here on Monday :cheer: , traded a Meridian Color that tumbled of the car at 45 mph and messed up the screen, but other than that it still kept traks etc. I need to do a lot of reading I see to get the full potential!

'bug

January 13, 2011
1:40 am
chrismcd
Members
Forum Posts: 9
1203sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the writeup on the 710, I think I will wait for the Canadian version.

January 12, 2011
7:30 pm
phild31
Members
1202sp_Permalink sp_Print

Brent Owen wrote:

Maps can be deleted too easily. If you go to the maps page and you press the button on the bottom right, a screen pops up that allows you to delete all of the maps. The cancel button is very close to the delete all button. Very scary. Not sure if it will allow you to delete the maps that came with the GPSr, but I am not willing to test it.

Yes it will delete all maps, but you have to confirm the action before it deletes.

A good idea is to copy all your maps to your computer and a flash card storage device.
I use SanDisk cruzer (8GB) to store all my maps, info and backups for the 710.

Also you can download the maps you purchased on-line again if you lose them somehow.
They only work on your registered device anyway.

January 12, 2011
7:16 am
phild31
Members
1200sp_Permalink sp_Print

KI4HLW wrote:

I have had my Explorist 710 since Christmas and have been very happy with the unit so far.

On the subject of the touch screen sensitivity I noticed one thing about how I was using it, and since changing that have not had any issues selecting while trying to scroll.

Now for the trick; when scrolling don't baby the screen by lightly touching it, go ahead and put some pressure on it when swiping your finger as if you are trying to physically move the screen. I think the accidental select is mainly when people lightly brush the screen and the unit does not get a steady pressure and thinks you removed your finger. Since I started doing this I have had zero problems selecting something I did not mean to.

I've had my 710 since Nov. and the only problem I've had was scrolling.
After a few days of using it I no longer accidentally select anything.
I set it to make a click when selecting and learned to press harder than how I scroll my iPhone.

I would like to see scroll buttons for all the pages that need to scroll.

By the way, the address controls for the driving directions are exactly the same as the Magellan iPhone app.

January 11, 2011
11:39 pm
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
1197sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have had my Explorist 710 since Christmas and have been very happy with the unit so far.

On the subject of the touch screen sensitivity I noticed one thing about how I was using it, and since changing that have not had any issues selecting while trying to scroll.

With the spread of touchscreen cell phones I think we have all gotten use to Capacitive touch screens, where the simple touch of a finger is sensed by the screen, the Explorist uses the older Resistive type screen you saw on old PDA'a and the like. The nice part about the older screen is that you can use a styles or any object to scroll, great when wearing gloves such as outdoors in the cold.

Now for the trick; when scrolling don't baby the screen by lightly touching it, go ahead and put some pressure on it when swiping your finger as if you are trying to physically move the screen. I think the accidental select is mainly when people lightly brush the screen and the unit does not get a steady pressure and thinks you removed your finger. Since I started doing this I have had zero problems selecting something I did not mean to.

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

January 11, 2011
6:48 pm
Brent Owen
Members
Forum Posts: 56

Since I have had the 710 for a couple of months, I thought I would write a quick review of the product. First of all, the new eXplorist series looks fantastic. I know this is not the most important thing, but they really got the styling right. The materials used in the construction have a rubberized feel to them which feels nice in the hand. The GPSr feels very solid and actually quite heavy. Feels too heavy to float, but it does. Some of the weight comes from the back cover (44.5 g) which has a metal inlay that is used to mount the GPSr. It is nice to see some metal being used for the mounting system instead of just plastic. A lanyard can also be easily attached to the bottom of the unit which puts the GPSr facing the right way when you want to look at it. The Triton 1500 and 2000 had the loop at the top of the unit which was not as convenient for lanyard use. The display is very bright and can be viewed in direct sunlight. Much improved over the Triton touch screen models.

The GPSr has many features. Too many to mention and many of them are customizable. Finding the feature that you want will take some time, but with a little practice you can find things quite fast. For the features you use the most, you can assign a button to it or go to a page two clicks away that you can assign up to 12 location, function, or search items to. Most importantly, everything works. I have not had the unit crash on me yet. I also think that the lack of problem posts on the forums is the biggest indication that the unit works well. I find that the 710 tracks satellites better than my Triton units. I can track satellites in the building I work in with my 710, but I can not with my Triton 1500 or 400. I work in a concrete building that is covered with metal siding and I have no windows (yes I know, its depressing). I am also surrounded with electrical equipment. I am not saying that I get good reception, I am just saying that I can obtain it.

It is very nice to have car navigation integrated into the unit. I use this feature the most. I tend to be on the road more often than I am in the woods, so this feature is very important to me. I am a little unhappy about paying $99 US. for the routable map for North America, but that is another story. I should have waited for a Canadian version of the 710. The speaker is very good on this unit so it is perfect for car navigation. Since Magellan is quite good at car navigation systems, they could have made the car navigation programming more rich with features. One thing that I would like to see is a list of favorite cities. Every time I want to look up an address, I have to enter the city each time. Since the GPS knows where you are, perhaps it could default to the city you are actually in. That way you would only have to enter the name of the street you are looking for. I also noticed that you can sort the city names by distance. Perhaps if you don’t enter a city name and just hit the check mark, it could sort the cities by distance from you and of course list the city you are in at the top. If you are traveling to a city far away, you would enter the name accordingly. They also could have included text to speech. I also noticed that if two turns are close together you may only hear the second turn. Hard to explain, but if there is a right turn after a left turn, the voice says “Approaching left turn, right turn.” The other thing that is needed is the ability to enter an address when creating a route. I just came back from a 800 km trip that started near Hamilton Ontario and ended in Sault Ste Marie Ontario. I drove through the US starting at Port Huron Michigan. When I entered the address into the GPSr the unit defaulted to only go through Canada. This was going to be a longer trip for me. I was also trying to avoid some bad weather in the Sudbury area. So in order to do the trip, I had to enter an American address near where I was going. Once in the US, I entered the address for the Canadian location I was going to. Not a perfect system, but one that can be easily improved on.

There have been many comments about the sensitivity of the touch screen. People are saying that it is too sensitive and hard to get used to. These comments refer to scrolling up and down pages with lists of selectable items. I have also been having some difficulty scrolling up and down the display without accidentally selecting something that I didn’t want. I am not getting any better at it either. First of all, the scroll bar at the side of the screen does not work well. It does tell you where you are in the list, but it is too small to scroll with. I am not even sure it was intended to be used that way. When you want to scroll, you have to press and hold your finger on the display until an item highlights and then you can slide your finger up and down to scroll. If you lift your finger too quickly, you will automatically select an item on the list. Why do some scrollable pages have buttons that allow you to scroll up and down while others do not? The Date and Time page for instance does not have the up and down buttons displayed. For consistency, and for ease of use, it is important to have the scroll buttons available for all scrollable pages. They do not take up any screen space, so there is no reason not to have them (for most scrollable pages anyway). The scroll buttons work well so please keep them. This is my number one complaint with the unit, so listen up Magellan. Also, if you prefer to scroll by sliding your finger, even the pages with the scroll buttons can be scrolled with your finger. Again, Magellan, please make scrolling easier and the same for all pages. Perhaps you can make the scroll bar bigger and transparent. The right half of the screen could be used for scrolling and the left half could be use for selecting the item. There has to be a better way!

The position indicator on the map screen is far too big. This has been mentioned by a few people. When you are close to where you want to be, you can no longer see where you want to be. Make the size selectable or smarter. Perhaps the size can change as you zoom in or as you get closer to the waypoint etc. Since the position marker is always in the same spot, I can remember where to look and therefore does not have to be very big.

Maps can be deleted too easily. If you go to the maps page and you press the button on the bottom right, a screen pops up that allows you to delete all of the maps. The cancel button is very close to the delete all button. Very scary. Not sure if it will allow you to delete the maps that came with the GPSr, but I am not willing to test it.

The micro sd card holder is very delicate so be careful when using it. I almost broke mine the first time I put batteries into it. Good thing I don’t have to change memory cards often. Remember, you have to slide the holder down to lock it in place.

It is also great that you can still make maps for the Explorist. Instructions are posted in this forum. You will not be able to use the maps you made for the Tritons.

I wish the Explorist units had a headphone jack like the Triton 1500 and 2000. I travel a fair bit, and it was nice to watch movies or listen to music while stuck in the airport etc. The Explorist units don’t have a flashlight like the 1500 and 2000, but I think the screen is bright enough to use as a temporary flashlight.

It will be interesting to see how they make the mounts for the Explorist. I don’t see how you are going to slide the unit onto a mount and have it automatically plug in the USB cable. The cable plugs in at a 45 degree angle so this looks difficult to engineer. On the plus side, the slot allows for a very simple home made mount. I made one out of a piece of hdpe in a matter of minutes. The only thing is, I have to plug in the USB cable and then slide the GPSr onto the mount or vise versa.

I am sure there are more things that can be improved, but so far, I am very happy with the Explorist 710.

For those of you that are thinking about purchasing the City Series North America map for your GPSr, I would be glad to answer any questions you may have. So far I have found the map to be very good. I have been able to find most addresses that I needed to. The POI that come with the map are very out of date! Some locations in my area that have been around since 1992 are not listed. $99 is very expensive for the map but it really opens a great feature of the eXplorist. Once you purchase the map online, you can download it right away. You have to register your GPSr on the Magellan web site before it will allow you to put it in your cart. You will also not be able to transfer this map to another GPSr because it is linked to the serial number of your GPSr.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online: jg_the_Prophet
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply