Explorist 610 and Mac compatibility/work arounds | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 610 and Mac compatibility/work arounds
April 4, 2011
6:38 pm
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
Forum Posts: 56
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2158sp_Permalink sp_Print

You should at least check MacGPSPro (http://www.macgpspro.com/). I've only used it with Garmin units, but it claims compatibility with Magellan also.

April 1, 2011
9:07 pm
honkshooter
Members
Forum Posts: 2
2109sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks everyone.

I'm really looking for programs that will run in Mac OS X. There are several people from the organization that will be using this and all of us have Apples so the thought of buying WIndows for everyone is not really going to work. I agree it probably is the best solution, but not what I'm looking for.

Google Earth looks like that would work pretty well. I am trying to download files onto my computer from the GPSr.

If there's anyone that is familiar with running an explorist on Mac OS X without a virtual machine and they have any input, I'd appreciate it.

Just scary to spend this much money and hope that it works.

I appreciate the help.

April 1, 2011
5:28 am
sup909
Members
Forum Posts: 5
2093sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are you looking to create tracks/waypoints and load them on to the gps, or off load them from the 610 to view on a computer. If the later try Google Earth. You can import the gpx file and work with it from there. Start the video at about 1:18

April 1, 2011
5:05 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2092sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's some screenshots of Vantage Point with tracks I loaded to it;

This is a track from my explorist GC, it's about 3/4 mile hike;

This is a 50 mile bicycle route I downloaded from a bike trail web site;

Both can be transferred to and from VP & the GPSr

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 1, 2011
3:58 am
phild31
Members
2091sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, Vantage Point should be able to do what you are looking for.
You can transfer tracks from the x10 GPSr to VP and view the tracks on the maps on VP.
You can also create a route on VP and transfer it to the GPSr.
The National Geographic maps will not work on the new explorists, that was Nat Geo's doing.
imi and raster maps do work though.
There are quite a few mapping programs that will take track & route files from the x10 GPSr, VP seems to work pretty well and there are detail topo maps available that work on VP and the x10 GPSr at
maps4me
and MAGicmaps.

April 1, 2011
2:47 am
bentbrook
Members
Forum Posts: 11
2089sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use Parallels for my virtual PC environment; Magellan's Vantage Point and GSAK and any other PC programs work fine. I have Windows XP installed there because it seemed to be least quirky at the time. I've used Parallels for about two years now and I remain impressed by the quality of the program --it does what it is supposed to do--and my the frequency of good updates. It let me run my Triton 500 with National Geographic TOPO maps, raster maps, etc.

I use Parallels 5, but there is a newer release now that goes for $79.99. A free trial is also available, which was the route I originally took before purchasing the program.

April 1, 2011
1:48 am
phild31
Members
2087sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not being an Apple user I don't know what mapping programs are available for Apple.

I think the easiest thing is to run a virtual windows program on your Apple computer. Then you can run windows programs like Magellan's Vantage Point.
I have seen several virtual windows programs for sale for less than $100 but I don't know what ones are any good or not.

Not much help I'm afraid, but if you look into a way to run windows programs on the Apple you will have many more choices for mapping programs.

Good luck.

March 31, 2011
11:52 pm
honkshooter
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Hi, I'm brand new to most everything GPS. I work for an outdoor organization and want to map out some trails in the local area. I also want to use the GPS for backpacking trips, hiking, etc. I've only found good things it seems like about the this GPS, but I'm trying to figure out if it's going to be a real hassle to use with my Apple computer. Are there programs and ways that I will easily be able to create maps with the route on them?

Thanks in advance for any help. Im sure I'll have more questions.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251