eX610 now worse than ever after firmware upgrade! | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
eX610 now worse than ever after firmware upgrade!
August 8, 2012
4:28 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members
Forum Posts: 19
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6958sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've had the new unit for a couple of weeks now and have been using it daily for 1-2 hours a day. No loss of calibration when reaching GZ, and no issues with my old rechargeables. I did notice that the compass will turn to red if I hop in the car and drive around for a while, but it seems to calibrate itself after a few seconds when I get out of the car and start walking.

Looks like my old unit had some issues after all. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the service I got from Magellan.

July 27, 2012
8:20 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members
6868sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got my new unit today! I'm pretty surprised to see how fast they dealt with it.

I'll give it a good first run this weekend to see if I run into any issues and will keep you posted!

July 21, 2012
6:46 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6842sp_Permalink sp_Print

SORRY!!! 🙂

July 21, 2012
2:02 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
6840sp_Permalink sp_Print

Any "hints" as to just what the ability of the "new unit" entails? Maybeeeeee....not to replace but maybeeeeee to compete per say? EH?? Come on!!!! Squeezing the life out of ya!!! Some more tid-bits please!

July 21, 2012
6:11 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
6834sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Actually, these units are going to be around for some time to come and they are working to fix the issues that have been reported to them...

Thanks David - very comforting to hear that!

July 21, 2012
4:35 am
David
Members
6833sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can tell you that Magellan is working on a new unit; however, it isn't going to replace the x10s. Actually, these units are going to be around for some time to come and they are working to fix the issues that have been reported to them...

David

July 20, 2012
11:09 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6815sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lucky-Lizard wrote:

ic-it wrote:

At the top of the Forum screen there is reference to a new X10 series available Oct 25. I expect this means those of us with current & earlier versions need not have high expectations for fies.

Actually, that banner has been there for a looooong time. It was already there when I joined the boards over a year ago. "X10 series" refers to the eXplorist 510, 610 and 710, (and lately, the 110 and 310 units) and not a new series of GPSr.

Ignore it, it's in reference to October 2010. :blush: 😛
That banner has been there since the summer/fall of 2010. :silly:

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 20, 2012
11:09 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members
6814sp_Permalink sp_Print

Excellent, will try the alkaline setting when I get my new unit. As for rechargeables, I was looking into the Powerex, a local shop has them in stock. A friend of mine has eneloops in his Oregon and the last forever.

Thanks for the tips!

July 20, 2012
11:02 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6813sp_Permalink sp_Print

First - for best battery life & usage remember to use good batteries, the best I've used are Powerex & Eneloop, and I have tried 9 different brands of AA rechargeable batteries.

Second - set your GPSr battery setting for 'Alkaline'

I'm using Powerex 2700 mAh rechargeable batteries and with my 710 setting on 'Alkaline' I will routinely get 6 - 8 hours of hard, continuous use out of them.
BUT, when I have it set for 'Rechargeable' on settings I will get 3 hours or less and it shuts down because of "low batteries", even though the batteries are not low.
It would appear the GPSr is reading the battery voltage wrong when set for 'Rechargeable'.

Your mileage may vary but that's what works for me.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 20, 2012
8:55 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members
6812sp_Permalink sp_Print

ic-it wrote:

At the top of the Forum screen there is reference to a new X10 series available Oct 25. I expect this means those of us with current & earlier versions need not have high expectations for fies.

Actually, that banner has been there for a looooong time. It was already there when I joined the boards over a year ago. "X10 series" refers to the eXplorist 510, 610 and 710, (and lately, the 110 and 310 units) and not a new series of GPSr.

July 20, 2012
8:35 pm
ic-it
Members
Forum Posts: 12
6811sp_Permalink sp_Print

July 20, 2012
2:33 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
6799sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use rechargeable batteries as well and get around 4 - 5 hours out of them (with 1900 mAh upto 2500 mAh - doesn't seem to make much difference), but I use the GPSr pretty hard with the voice recorder which really soaks up power. So I have just resigned myself to the fact that they use a lot of power. A couple of hours that you report is a bit extreme though - are you positive that you are fully recharging the batteries?

As David said if you use non rechargeables you will get a much longer life. The Energiser Ultimate Lithium batteries that came with the GPSr are fantastic, but they are expensive - here in Australia in any case. I can get around 10 hours life out of a set.

Just to put a damper on things, I am not sure that you will get much satisfaction by sending it in for exchange. I'm guessing that the tech guys when checking it will see that it performs like any other X610 and won't be able to fault it. They will put the Lithium batteries in it and say - see it runs for 10 hours!

Regarding the compass calibration - I am not sure what is going on there. It was supposed to have been fixed a while ago, but we are still experiencing the need to constantly recalibrate - X610 and X710. However, again as David said, a simple wave around your head like you are shooing away an annoying fly and all is good again - for a while in any case.

Good luck with your RMA!

July 19, 2012
7:14 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members
6797sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Also, with the calibration issue, you might want to just skip the last suggestion and go straight to calling tech support for an exchange.

David

Thanks, just contacted them, now waiting for an email with the RMA number 😀

July 19, 2012
6:15 pm
David
Members
6795sp_Permalink sp_Print

How long will a pair of regular Duracells last? I normally get about 8 hours out of them in my eX610. As far as the compass calibration, no I'm not having to calibrate it and to be honest I don't worry about it that much when the icon goes red on the top of the screen. With both my eX610 and my eX710, if I just waive it around for a couple of seconds it goes back to a calibrated state and I keep going.

I would highly suggest you try something than the rechargables you're using and see what happens. I used to use rechargables all of the time in these units, but found that some did really well in them and others didn't. If you only get 2 hours out of different batteries then if it is under warranty I would contact tech support to see about exchanging it for a new unit...

Also, with the calibration issue, you might want to just skip the last suggestion and go straight to calling tech support for an exchange.

David

July 19, 2012
4:47 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members

It's been almost a year since I purchased my eX610. I love it when it works right. But since day one I have been having two issues.

1) Battery life - 2500mAh Ni-mH batteries only last a couple of hours
2) Compass losing calibration, especially when getting to GZ.

I've updated to 6.52 and the calibration issue is now worse than ever. I am constantly needing to recalibrate the compass almost every time I find a cache. Pretty annoying considering I paid almost $500CDN for this unit last year.

Is anyone else having issues with the new firmware or am I alone in this?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251