Editing a geocache and other help | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Editing a geocache and other help
January 2, 2011
10:29 pm
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1151sp_Permalink sp_Print

Finally found it...thanks. Kept looking to the bottom of the page for the option and didn't even check near the begining.

January 2, 2011
10:25 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
1150sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just don't check the box that lets the reviewer see the listing.
The reviewer won't see it until you check the box.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

January 2, 2011
10:19 pm
Sarge104
Members
1149sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:
I thought you didn't like the keyboard on the x10? 😉

My cache pages usually have quite a lot of info on them, pictures, parking coords, descriptions, warnings and hints.
I spend a couple of days tweaking the page before I have it published anyway and I leave the cache out for at least a week or two to see if it survives the muggle factor before I even make the page. :dry:

Although it would be nice if the 710 would scratch my back and check for ticks. 😛

Yep, it would be benifitial for the keyboard to be full and maybe flipped so that it runs from top to bottom of the unit...be able to put a keyboard gui with all the keys that way.

As for messing with the pages before publishing, I've heard you can save the page without publishing...though I've still to figure out how to do so. It would be useful while getting permissions from land owners and such.

I've heard the unit could be attached to a stick to help with the back scratching efforts...for ticks I suggest another person..;P

January 2, 2011
10:02 pm
phild31
Members
1148sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sarge104 wrote:

I know that this isn't an issue with the exploriest but with GC.com itself but I would love to be able to upload my new cache listing from the device to the site. I know it's not quite there yet, (humongo keyboard, vantage point interference, ect.) but it still would be nice to skip re-inputing the info since it's already been done once.

I thought you didn't like the keyboard on the x10? 😉

My cache pages usually have quite a lot of info on them, pictures, parking coords, descriptions, warnings and hints.
I spend a couple of days tweaking the page before I have it published anyway and I leave the cache out for at least a week or two to see if it survives the muggle factor before I even make the page. :dry:
This is my Christmas urban micro cache - GC2KBCJ.
I don't think I could do it with just the 710.

Although it would be nice if the 710 would scratch my back and check for ticks. 😛

January 2, 2011
9:30 pm
phild31
Members
1147sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, as you zoom out flags will show on the map representing groups of caches instead of all the cache icons.

I do wish that arrow was one third the size it is though! 🙁

January 2, 2011
9:13 pm
phild31
Members
1146sp_Permalink sp_Print

capjap wrote:

I think I might just blow the whole database away and start over as I also cannot understand what the meaning of the info at the top of the geocache file is...it says 1/924 and then all-nearest-all-all-all 4617. I'm pretty sure I didn't load that many caches.
Edit:; I also went back to the manual and it clearly states you can edit a geocache.

Yeah, the info at the top is showing the nearest list, mine shows;
Geocaches 1/396
All-Nearest-All-All-All 1979

It seems the top (1/396) is the list that's on the screen.
The all-all is the entire database.

Forget what the manual states, you can't do it!
Just make a new waypoint with your coordinates until they update the firmware.

How did you load the files in?
If you loaded PQs you should unzip it and load WPTs into the Waypoint folder on the unit. That may be why it's showing too many caches and no waypoints.

January 2, 2011
8:41 pm
Sarge104
Members
1144sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know that this isn't an issue with the exploriest but with GC.com itself but I would love to be able to upload my new cache listing from the device to the site. I know it's not quite there yet, (humongo keyboard, vantage point interference, ect.) but it still would be nice to skip re-inputing the info since it's already been done once.

January 2, 2011
3:42 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
1143sp_Permalink sp_Print

The need of changing the coordinates of geocaches has been reportet.
I do the following: when need to change coordinates, I make a new Waypoint. But the number of waypoints is limitet to 2000.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

January 2, 2011
2:33 pm
capjap
Members
Forum Posts: 33
1142sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have no waypoints loaded. I checked the waypoint file and it says 0/0 All 0 so I don't know where the flags came from.I also checked my files on the unit by opening it up and there is nothing in the file that is labelled waypoints.

I did finally figured out that zooming in on the map eliminated the flags. I even checked the map options and put waypoints to off but they flags are still there.

I think I might just blow the whole database away and start over as I also cannot understand what the meaning of the info at the top of the geocache file is...it says 1/924 and then all-nearest-all-all-all 4617. I'm pretty sure I didn't load that many caches. I would use GSAK but I have a new mac with no windows partition. For some reason it would not transfer over the authorization from the old mac and I do not have the product key anymore. Calling Microsoft was no help at all. But that's another issue.

Edit:; I also went back to the manual and it clearly states you can edit a geocache. So if it is not possible to edit one, is it possible to duplicate one and edit that as you put it in? I don't see any menu item for copying or duplicating, but if it's not there, maybe it could be considered for an update.

January 2, 2011
6:13 am
phild31
Members
1141sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can not alter the coordinates of a cache.
What I do is make a new waypoint using the coords of the solved puzzle.
Same with multi-caches, as I find each stage I make a new waypoint.

The flags are waypoints, Child waypoints, parking waypoints etc.
How far out are you zoomed on the map?
How many caches do you have loaded?
The limit for caches is 10,000.
The limit for waypoints is 2,000.
They all show on the map!
As you zoom out the caches disappear and only flags show.

I have 1979 caches loaded and that gave me 771 waypoints.
If I load over 4,500 caches I usually will have over 2,000 waypoints so I dump the waypoints file. Otherwise I can't add a waypoint until I delete a waypoint to make room.
GSAK is a big help to edit PQs before loading, I can load only the child waypoints I want instead of all of them. Plus I can add child waypoints in GSAK of the solved puzzles.

I also found if I load over 4,000 caches it runs a little bit slower, not much but a bit.

Having 8 or 9 thousand caches loaded is cool but not really necessary is it?

What I've found in general is that nothing is perfect, these x10 units are very, very good but they can't do everything!

January 2, 2011
4:33 am
capjap
Members
Forum Posts: 33

I have some puzzle caches that I have solved and want to change the coordinates on the 610. According to the manual, you are to

1. Access the Geocache list.
2. Tap on the name of the geocache to be edited
Description: Tap on the Description button.
Tap on the screen below the Description
button. Use the keyboard to enter a
description for the geocache. Tap on the Back
icon when done.

well no keyboard comes up and I havent figured out how to change the waypoint either. If I go to the lat/long tab, tapping on the screen does nothing so I cannot change the coordinates.

Suggestions?

Another thing, and I think I may have screwed it up myself...suddenly I have a whole bunch of little flags all over my screen. I think I might have dragged and dropped into the wrong file....I cannot think of any other explanation for all the flags on the screen!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply