Dissapointing Mitac Service | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Dissapointing Mitac Service
March 30, 2012
11:12 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5623sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

Well it took a bit of a nudge from Magellan in USA, but in the end I received excellent service from Navman (Aus distributor).

Also thankyou to all who helped with suggestions and solutions.

We are now off to Australia's second mega event in Albury in a very happy frame of mind.

That is awesome - I'm so glad that we have Eric, Richard and Jeff here at Magellan USA and that their ears to open to our concerns....

Thanks Guys!!! By the way - they do read many of the messages on this forum....

David

March 30, 2012
10:31 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
5622sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well it took a bit of a nudge from Magellan in USA, but in the end I received excellent service from Navman (Aus distributor).

Also thankyou to all who helped with suggestions and solutions.

We are now off to Australia's second mega event in Albury in a very happy frame of mind.

March 28, 2012
3:29 pm
pprass
Members
5593sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just successfully loaded 5,808 of my states unfound (to me!) caches with respective images after removing the USA.IMI and USA.TPO files from the internal memory. I also removed manually the Geocaches GPX file, all the Images in the Image/Geoacaches file and the old "UGDS" file just for good luck!
Now thinking back, I can't remember if the USA maps were on my unit when I first bought it and consequently I may be maligning Mitac unfairly. Can anyone who has a 610 bought in Australia have a look at their map file and see if the USA maps are included?

Thanks for your help.

March 28, 2012
2:50 pm
pprass
Members
5592sp_Permalink sp_Print

So even though I cannot activate the maps, they are actually there and taking up heaps of space in the internal memory.

I will remove the USA maps and I think that will solve the space issue and allow me to load all of my states unfound caches and images.

March 28, 2012
2:47 pm
pprass
Members
5591sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Phil for coming up with ideas, however I did clear all the images manually because Iremembered you mentioning that a while ago, but that is not the problem.

The problem seems to be with the Maps file. When I received the unit back from the Mitac Service people, it came with the USA maps as well as the Aus maps. The USA maps are a whopping 2.2gb, however I cannot activate them. I can't even activate the Oz maps as mentioned before.

This is what I see:

March 28, 2012
1:26 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
5589sp_Permalink sp_Print

... and Defragmenting will likely fix that, like it did for me.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 28, 2012
11:44 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
5588sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmm...I've never actually looked on the unit to see what has been or hasn't been removed during the sending of waypoints because I've never had a problem that's been described. For the last say month and a couple weeks or so I've loaded down GSAK with I think 6900 caches to cover a nice broad area around me in case of a last minute road trip and haven't seen any problems. About every other day or so I tell it to grab 6000 caches from the API so that I get any and all new published around and send them with all the tick marks and I've never seen an out of memory indexing problem. I've seen it index a couple times upon unplugging the unit but never an error message. I did have it reboot on me this last Sunday while out in the deep woods...thought "oh great here we go"...said "rebooting unit to improve performance" but it went very quickly to my suprise. I thought for sure I'd b fighting the thing for an hour stuck in the middle of nowhere.

My only issue now seems to be with what I described before while unplugging the unit from the pc, it does it's reloading of caches/reboot and the screen blanks out so I have to hit the power button once and the screen comes back on. Annoying but livable...

March 28, 2012
5:29 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
5585sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have the latest version of GSAK and I have already proved it, when I have GSAK 'remove' the files and load 25 new caches there is still the photos for 5,000 + caches in the 'media'-'image'-'geocache' file on the 710. There are only 25 caches loaded on the 710.
In other words it removes everything but that image file.
I have totally removed GSAK from my PC, reinstalled a new download of GSAK, created all new databases with new PQs, totally cleared the 710's memory, reinstalled the latest firmware from Magellan to the 710 and it still behaves the same way.

It has behaved like this from day one on the 710, my GC it has always done it properly since this option has been on GSAK.
I don't care about it because I always clear that file myself before I load a new large file to the 710.

I only brought it up because with my unit I keep getting an "out of memory" message while performing an "indexing data base" - like pprass described, when I do NOT remove the photo file myself beforehand.

So I figured I would share what works for me to clear the issue on my unit, it would be worth trying to see if it worked for pprass.
I admit it's not an ideal solution but I am not willing to return my 710 for repair/replacement over an issue I can work around very easily.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 28, 2012
2:57 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
5584sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

At least what happens with my 710 when I don't manually delete the file first is I'll run out of memory while indexing the new file, about the third time I put an all new file in from GSAK.

Your millage may vary but for me anyway those photos never go away unless I delete them.
My 710 has always behaved this way.

Phil,

Maybe it is an issue with your version of GSAK. I have never deleted the image file manually and I load large cache files normally weekly and each time GSAK deletes all the images. You can prove it by just loading a single cache and check the all the previously loaded data has been deleted.

Graham.

March 28, 2012
2:15 am
phild31
Members
5583sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah it does have that setting and that's exactly what I do with GSAK, but the unit will keep the old photos anyway.
So you have to do what I suggested before you load the new file from GSAK, otherwise that file keeps on growing.

At least what happens with my 710 when I don't manually delete the file first is I'll run out of memory while indexing the new file, about the third time I put an all new file in from GSAK.

Your millage may vary but for me anyway those photos never go away unless I delete them.
My 710 has always behaved this way.

March 28, 2012
2:13 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
5582sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmebd wrote:

Thought there was a setting in GSAK (other than the default) to whenever you "send waypoints" you can uncheck default and then make sure to check on the delete for "geocaches", "waypoints", "images", etc....that's what I have setup anyway.

You are correct, tick boxes are there under ‘Clear from GPSr before sending’. This will delete items as selected and all 4 should be selected when loading a large fresh lot of caches.

If after loading the bulk of your caches you need to load a small update file then deselect the 4 boxes prior to loading to retain the previously loaded information.

As Phil indicated if you don’t clear out the images, they are reloaded each time you load caches. The unit then has multiple copies of the images and it doesn’t take long to use up all the internal memory.

Graham.

March 27, 2012
7:07 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
5581sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thought there was a setting in GSAK (other than the default) to whenever you "send waypoints" you can uncheck default and then make sure to check on the delete for "geocaches", "waypoints", "images", etc....that's what I have setup anyway.

March 27, 2012
3:10 pm
phild31
Members
5580sp_Permalink sp_Print

The geocache image file will not be removed unless you delete it.
When you are clearing the unit and installing a new large file of caches,
before you load a new geocache file to the unit go to 'Media' - 'Images' - 'Geocaches' and delete any photo files there.
That file will keep getting bigger & bigger unless you manually delete the images.

March 26, 2012
11:32 pm
pprass
Members
5576sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Graham and David - odd though that the Groundspeak program allowed such a large image file to be loaded?

I am now grappling to find out why I can no longer load all of my states' unfound caches - it errors out at about 75% load. What is loaded though is readable. I have tried to de-bug GSAK, but I am suspecting that there is a memory issue in the GPS even though the geocaches are loaded onto the internal memory, I keep getting an "out of memory" message while performing an "indexing data base".

March 26, 2012
3:25 am
David
Members
5568sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

pprass wrote:

Have a look at this cache desription - there must be something different with the HTML. http://coord.info/GC3BGJY

I did not load the cache to my 710 but I’m not surprised the images in that description do not work correctly. The images are huge, 2.7mBits, way too big for displaying on a mobile device.

The programming of either hard buttons to ‘Geocache Details’ will interfere with the working of ‘Find next nearest Geocache’. David has indicated that this should be fixed with the next firmware release.

Graham.

Graham, you are exactly right. The dimensions of the image in that description are 5120x3840 pixles - that is crazy. I don't know if Magellan could incorporate something to resize the images, but these little machine aren't going to be displaying anything of that size... However, once I manuall resized it, then it worked perfectly.

David

March 26, 2012
2:32 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
5567sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

Have a look at this cache desription - there must be something different with the HTML. http://coord.info/GC3BGJY

I did not load the cache to my 710 but I’m not surprised the images in that description do not work correctly. The images are huge, 2.7mBits, way too big for displaying on a mobile device.

The programming of either hard buttons to ‘Geocache Details’ will interfere with the working of ‘Find next nearest Geocache’. David has indicated that this should be fixed with the next firmware release.

Graham.

March 26, 2012
1:26 am
David
Members
5565sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK - I have a question! On the caches were you're having a problem with the pictures being displayed, can you please check the file format of the picture on the unit. Let me know if they are JPG, GIF or PNG. I'm wondering if this is a picture viewer issue!

Thanks,
David

March 26, 2012
1:22 am
pprass
Members
5564sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use GSAK's GPS>Send Waypoints... function and I have all of the boxes ticked.

All files are sent to the internal memory.

Thanks - it made me check everything again just to be sure.

March 26, 2012
1:17 am
David
Members
5563sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

Have you ever had ‘Geocache Details’ programmed on the other hard button. David indicates he has done over 400 using 'Find next...' since the lastest firmware update with no problems. I have used 'Geocache Details' on one hard button, therefore I possible have a corrupted file.

When you look at a cache description which should have an image do you see a faint folder like symbol where the image should be.

Graham.

Yes, as long as I don't use the hard button the "find next" works perfectly on my eX710; however, on the eX310 that is another issue. The Find Next function on the 310 is unusable and Magellan has been informed of this, so it should be fixed with the next update.
As far as loading the pictures for the cache descriptions, I've never had a problem with it not working as long as I load the GPSrs with VP or GSAK. If you drag and drop the GPX file onto the unit manually the description pictures will never work, even if you were to copy the pictures to the unit...

David

March 26, 2012
1:16 am
pprass
Members
5562sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

Have you ever had ‘Geocache Details’ programmed on the other hard button.

Yes - I used to have the LHS large button set for "Geocache Details".

...therefore I possible have a corrupted file.

Well if it is a corrupt file it certainly didn't get fixed when the unit was serviced and had a new PCB replaced.

When you look at a cache description which should have an image do you see a faint folder like symbol where the image should be.

Yes - that is what I see,

however I just looked at some other cache desription and it is there?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply