Creating a WPT and selecting it as a GoTo | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Creating a WPT and selecting it as a GoTo
June 19, 2011
4:49 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3372sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have to remind myself all the time to slow down a little and enjoy all the aspects of the hunt.

Because I don't create that many waypoints on the fly I don't use a hard button for it.
In a boat I do set a hard button to 'Man Overboard' function.

I would like to see an easier way to create a waypoint for multi-caches.

Maybe a separate geocaching multi-cache function?
It could eliminate the choices we don't need, like go straight to alter coordinates then a 'go-to' to tap when done entering coordinates.
I don't care what it's named or what icon is on the map, I just want to enter the coords with the least effort.
I can name them later, on the PC or just dump them later.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 19, 2011
2:09 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
3369sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Phil - looks like it is about the same no. of steps.
However it is interesting that after you tap on "Save" that a list comes up with the WPT's to choose from. That would be useful and save a few steps using it my way.

And thanks for the calming advice - we aren't really in that much of a hurry - just comparing functions between GPSr's to get the best out of it.

June 18, 2011
3:41 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3346sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't use a hard button to create a waypoint.
I'm on the map so,
1. Tap screen
2. Tap on the menu button (bottom left hand corner)
3. Tap waypoints
4. Tap on the menu button (bottom right hand corner)
5. Tap add waypoint
6. Tap coordinates
7. Tap coordinates to alter them
8. Alter coordinates
9. Tap bottom left arrow
10 Tap next
11 Tap save (bottom middle)
12 the waypoints list comes up, Tap orange go-to arrow on the new waypoint.

No matter what, you have to punch in the numbers.
Your way you are changing the waypoint you created, my way I'm creating the waypoint with the correct coordinates.
Either way takes about the same time, maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

So you have to input 15.234 to change it from 15.238, it's not like that's hard or time consuming to do.

I would humbly suggest that if you slowed down a little and didn't worry about losing a few minutes here or there you would have a more enjoyable geocaching experience.
It's taken years but I have finally got my caching buddies to slow down a little and smell the roses, there's all kinds of things to see and wonder at if we only looked.
There's always more caches to find but the sights, sounds and smells we don't notice and appreciate are gone, no memories, no photos and we won't be back that way again.

There's a time and place for getting as many smilies as possible but doing a multi-cache is usually not it.
Over the years the caches I remember are the special ones, either hard to find, beautiful area, really nice hike or something else that made it special.
When all I cared about was getting to the next one all I remember is a blur of rushing around chasing the numbers game.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 18, 2011
2:02 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264

I have been using my x610 continuously for around 60 days now and for at least 6 hours per day, so I have become quite fast at navigating around the unit, selecting a geocache, quickly looking up the details, going from the compass screen to the details screen etc.
However I still haven't worked out a quick way of creating a WPT and Going to it - which when you are flying through a multi, just stops you dead in your tracks.
My wife has an x500 (and I used to have an x600) and she can create a WPT and go to it before I can even finish adjusting the location co-ords let alone saving it and then selecting it.
My routine is as follows:
1. Press Hard Button to create WPT (one of hte buttons has been assigned to "create a WPT"
2. Tap on the screen
3. Tap on the menu button (bottom left hand corner)
4. Tap on the "Waypoints" button
5. Tap on the WPT that I have just created (should be the top one)
6. Tap on the "Location" box.
7. Tap on the Co-ords area in the middle of the screen.
8. Tap it again because the first time it didn't open!
9. Tap on the area of the co-rds that need to be altered.
10. Alter the co-ords (and this is one of my earlier recommendations - why do you have to type in every number just to get to the last digit that needs adjusting? With the 500/600 you can scroll across to the number that you want to change)
11. Press OK.
12. Press bottom left arrow.
13. Press GoTo orange button.

There is an "Add Waypoint" function on the Options list once you have a cache selected as a GoTo, but that also takes a bit of fiddling because once you create the WPT, change the co-ords and save it - you then have to go to the "Waypoints" button on the main menu and find it again to select it as a GoTo.
It would have been useful to "Add Waypoint" and then go to it from that screen.

Has anyone else come up with a quicker method?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 14
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply