Compass and Altimeter Accuracy 510 or 610/710 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Compass and Altimeter Accuracy 510 or 610/710
April 2, 2011
4:34 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2131sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I was referring to the compass bouncing when the electronic compass is turned off and you are standing still.

With it turned on I have found that I can calibrate the compass by waving it in the figure eight without going to the calibration page.
I have never had to go to the calibration page to calibrate it.

The problem I have Phil, is the icon indicates it is calibrated when it is not. So a green/yellow icon indication (not red) with the compass bouncing around 90 - 180 degrees. Only way to stop it is to calibrate the compass even though the unit believes it is calibrated.

Graham.

April 2, 2011
3:50 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2127sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

I agree with Phil in principle but it makes no difference if I use 3km or 6km to the compass jumping around.

The only way to stop the compass bouncing around on my x710 is to used the calibrate compass routine even though the compass calibration icon is indicating calibrated.

Graham.

I was referring to the compass bouncing when the electronic compass is turned off and you are standing still.

With it turned on I have found that I can calibrate the compass by waving it in the figure eight without going to the calibration page.
I have never had to go to the calibration page to calibrate it.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 2, 2011
9:29 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2123sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caotix wrote:

phild31 wrote:

I just thought of this;
Set the gps compass to 4 mph.
Go to settings - sensors - compass
That way the gps will only affect the compass when you are walking.
If it is set at 1.5 mph just moving your arm a bit or turning to look around will cause the compass to jump around.

Thanks Phil, that may be the reason why mine is so jumpy :silly:

I agree with Phil in principle but it makes no difference if I use 3km or 6km to the compass jumping around.

The only way to stop the compass bouncing around on my x710 is to used the calibrate compass routine even though the compass calibration icon is indicating calibrated.

Graham.

April 1, 2011
4:39 pm
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
2102sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I just thought of this;
If it is set at 1.5 mph just moving your arm a bit or turning to look around will cause the compass to jump around.

Thanks Phil, that may be the reason why mine is so jumpy :silly:

April 1, 2011
2:27 pm
phild31
Members
2101sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just thought of this;

April 1, 2011
1:16 pm
phild31
Members
2096sp_Permalink sp_Print

In my experience, without the electronic compass if I'm standing still nothing jumps around. If you want a direction, like where's the cache, just line the sun/moon icons on the compass with the sun/moon in the sky.
Then your arrow is pointing at the target.

The only time I have seen the compass moving around while standing still is when the electronic compass is turned on.
In fact it almost never stops jumping around a little bit, maybe 5 degrees.

April 1, 2011
7:32 am
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
2094sp_Permalink sp_Print

No one has mentioned it yet but you must be moving to get anything close to an accurate direction if you do not have an electronic compass, if you are standing still it will jump all over the place and be useless because the GPS unit uses your direction of travel to determine direction.

An electronic compass will give you a reading even if you are standing still, a true compass will be better, but it is close enough to know you need to head left, right, etc within 10 to 20 degrees.

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

March 31, 2011
10:24 pm
phild31
Members
2081sp_Permalink sp_Print

To get topo maps for the 610 check out maps4me

They are almost free (a nominal yearly fee) with unlimited downloads.

March 31, 2011
10:01 pm
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
2080sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey aegomus,

you have to understand that a barometric altitude is based on an actual pressure you have to know to calibrate the sensor every time you want to get a real measure. But then, it is accurate! no GPS altitude can compare to that. Alternativly you need to know the exact altitude of a specific place, lets say a place in front of your house. When you leave your house, you calibrate your GPS to this altitude and then you get a correct reading, as long as the pressure doesn't change :laugh:
It's a game you can not win. But when you know either a Altitute you are or the pressure, the barometric sensor is way better then any GPS reading could be.

For the electronic compass? I avoid it. It drives ne nuts!

Have fun with your eX10, they are fantastic.

March 31, 2011
9:09 pm
egumus
Members
Forum Posts: 14
2078sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Something else to keep in mind when paying the extra $100 for a eX610 over a 510, or an eX710 over the eX610 are the maps included and the amount of internal memory within the units..

David

I am from Turkey and writing from Greece where I study.
The detailed American and canadian Topo and City maps are not inclued in our GPS's.
In Turkey the local distributer of Magellan "Gpsturk" offers all the X10 devices with same content (city map and topographic map of Turkey).

So The money that I pay extra will be for barometric altimeter, 3 axis electronic compass and the extra internal storage memory.
In Turkey X510 will be around 550 dollar while 610 will be around 650 dollar.
X710 is not released in our local market yet.
So it really makes difference.
Lucky you Americans, hot products are sold very expensive in my country

March 31, 2011
5:26 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2075sp_Permalink sp_Print

Something else to keep in mind when paying the extra $100 for a eX610 over a 510, or an eX710 over the eX610 are the maps included and the amount of internal memory within the units...

If you were to buy a Garmin 62st and want the 24K TOPO maps, which come preloaded on the 610&710, but not on the 510 - with the Garmin you're going to have to pay more than $100 extra for the maps. I know, I had to hear my Geocaching/ATVing buddy rant and rave because he had to pay for his! And of course, with the 710 you get the Road Routing Maps preloaded and you don't with the 510 or 610...

But also, the interal amount of memory within the unit is something to consider. The 510 - 2GB, 610 - 4 GB and 710 - 8GB.

So I guesss what I'm saying is - if you're going to be using the unit as a tool - you get a whole lot more GPS for the extra $100 when buying an eX610 over the eX510.

David

March 31, 2011
4:12 pm
phild31
Members
2073sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have noticed that the GPS altitude reading is very dependent on the number of satellites and signal strength for accurate elevation reading.
The more satellites with good signals the better the reading.

The barometer gives a better reading of elevation if it was calibrated correctly, in other words if the weather hasn't changed the barometric pressure in the area.
If you have an elevation benchmark in the area you can calibrate the barometer to give accurate readings.

For my purposes the gps elevations are good enough, but for you the barometer may work better.

As for the electronic compass, for general hiking directions it is fine.
When I need a very accurate bearing I use a good magnetic compass.

I think the 610 is a better choice because the barometer will help and the maps are better.

I have a 710 for the driving directions on it.

March 31, 2011
2:02 pm
egumus
Members
2071sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you "denisetdoris"
I red a paper claiming that the vertical accuracy is at least 1,5 times less then the horizontal one.

The technical review says
"In reality the new WAAS EGNOS can locate us up 3-5 meters accuracy in horizontal direction wile the miss measuringg of the elevation can be around 15-20 meter." It claims that in this manner barometric altimeter gives more accurate elevation info...

March 31, 2011
1:08 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2069sp_Permalink sp_Print

The barometer as far as I'm concerned does nothing but show barometric change, and is all but useless for altitude. I always use the GPS fix for elevation.

I've had units with and without an electronic compass. No electronic compass compares in accuracy with a good old pocket compass. That said, if you need a compass in the gps, the gps fix while walking is sufficient for my purposes for the most part. I don't rely on the electronic compass that much.

I spent the extra money for the 610 for the detail maps that came with it, not the electronic compass.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 31, 2011
11:16 am
egumus
Members

Hello friends,
I have question for those who holds both E510 and 610/710.

I am wondering if there are big performance and accuracy differences in altimeter and compass of E510 and E610, since E510 uses a satellite dependent altimeter and compass, while 610 and 710 has an elecetronic compass and barometric altimeter.

As being a geographer, as far as I know sometimes barometers are not very trustable either, because we calibrate them at the sea level atmospheric pressure under normal condititon (1013 millibar) but the air pressure changes interdependently from the elevation due to the atmospheric circulations.
I dont know which is more accurate the satellite one or the barometric one

Same problem about the digital compass.
Did anyone compared the directions measured by a satellite based 510 and on board 3 axis compass of 610 or 710.
Do they show different directions?

I I summarize does it worth to pay another 100 dollar for an electronic 3 axis compass and barometric altimeter.

Thanks alot

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 3
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply