Changing the geocache summary | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Changing the geocache summary
March 14, 2012
3:15 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5439sp_Permalink sp_Print

At the very least give us a way to edit the summary.
The way it is now is worse than useless.

I would like to see the summary read the cache information, like 'found', 'needs maintenance', 'DNF" etc. from the gpx file and not only from what we input.
Vantage Point displays 'found' caches this way, it shouldn't be too difficult should it?

The simple way to get a list of lifetime finds is to load your "My Finds" pocket query to VP.
Then VP could save just the lifetime finds count and we could transfer that count to the unit.

As far as having my found caches on the 710 that would be a waste of memory, why have over 2,000 caches from Boston to Seattle loaded that I'll never go to look for again?

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 14, 2012
1:40 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
5438sp_Permalink sp_Print

There might be an easy way to upload a list of our finds as a PQ, and have the guys load that query, use the found data and summary, and toss the rest if the user doesn't want the actual caches to appear on the unit (or load them on, as an option). If they're going to look at this, it might be an easy way to do it.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 14, 2012
6:00 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
5435sp_Permalink sp_Print

This has been a topic of request since the GC and the first eX units rolled off the assembly line; however, with the compass problems that came up due to the electronic compass manufacturer changing their drivers without informing everyone - it has kind of been pushed to the back burner. However, now that, that issue is resolved our friends at Magellan are again looking at our list of request more closely.

David

P.S. I will remind them about this one!!!

March 13, 2012
6:54 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
5434sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can change this number, it's in one of the files on the eX unit. I can't remember at the moment which, but there's a topic already about it. Do a search of "lifetime found count" or something like that and it'll pop up I'm sure.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 13, 2012
5:57 pm
twistyipper
Members
Forum Posts: 40
5433sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry to get you so riled up...The competition lets you change the number of "lifetime" finds to your current total on geocaching.com...then you have your realistic total when you log one--thanks for your candid thoughts TY

March 13, 2012
7:04 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
5432sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are you talking about your number of finds on Geocaching.com?

All the summary does is keep track of the caches you marked, on the unit, as 'found'.
It doesn't keep track of all your finds unless you marked every cache you ever found as 'found' on the unit.

As an example, I've been geocaching since 2003 so how would my 710 know how many finds I have?
I would have to input all my cache finds before I got the 710 or that I found not using the 710, then mark them all one by one as found on the 710.

In my opinion the geocache summary is a totally useless feature on a GPSr, seeing as geocaching.com keeps a running record of all your finds.

Whoever programed these units obviously have never been geocaching!
When you bring up the summary what does it tell you?
1 - Total on unit.
2 - Life time found.
3 - Not found.
4 - Not attempted.
5 - Needs maintenance.
6 - Avg. time to find.

But this is what it actually tells you; 👿

1 - Redundancy, I can see the total on the unit every time I bring up the list of geocaches.
2 - 'Life time found' is only what I marked as found on the unit.
3 - If the idiots at Magellan had been geocaching or listened to geocachers they just might know we don't say 'Not Found', we say Did Not Find / DNF
4 - Who the he** keeps track of caches you haven't looked for yet? That's what we would say is not found & it could total over a million!
5 - Caches you marked, on the unit, as needs maintenance.
6 - The average time it took you to find your finds? Who cares??

My advice, for what it's worth, is to ignore the Geocache Summary. :S
Except to clear it now and then when you start getting over a couple of thousand founds on it.
Why use the memory for useless/redundant data? 😛

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 13, 2012
12:45 am
twistyipper
Members
Forum Posts: 40

The summary count is not correct for my number of finds---can anyone suggest a way to change this...on the summary page in set-up I can highlight the selection but nothing happens--this seems to be the area to add some numbers as can be accomplished in the competitors units.thanks TY

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply