Caching icons and Profiles | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Caching icons and Profiles
February 13, 2011
11:36 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1428sp_Permalink sp_Print

For myself I don't care how they word it, I only load caches I have not found anyway.
When I find one using the 710 I mark it as found on the unit to see the smiley when I'm searching for nearest caches before I clear the unit and reload a bunch of caches.
I massage my Massachusetts PQs in GSAK once a month and reload them to the 710.
If I need to find a cache I've already found (caching with someone else or revisiting a TB hotel) I use my iPhone/GC.com app for that.

I would like to see the terminology for geocaching corrected though.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

February 13, 2011
4:47 pm
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
1424sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

phild31 wrote:

...The "Not Found" option would be for caches you marked "Not Found" on the unit as apposed to "Found"....

Now that makes sense. So there is a fine line between Not Found and UnFound eh?:)

Thanks phild31.

I figured this out and passed it to dwcarr1, he has passed it on to Magellan engineers and hopefully a fix is in the works.

Rather funny that the most common filter anyone would want to use "Not Attempted" or what geocachers mean when they say "Not Found" is not an option on the unit.

They need to reword it to be:
- Found
- Not Found
- Posted DNF

Also the NM should be a cache that ANYONE posted a NM in the logs on, not just one you posted, the current setup is almost useless for sorting and I just set it to all and scroll down the list till I find the closest Not Attempted one.

As both a Cacher and a Tech I'd be happy to explain to an engineer how caching works and what filters would be useful in real life.

EDIT:
I knew I had wrote this all up before but my searches were fruitless till I checked the geocaching.com forums. This thread explains the issue in greater depth and that a fix is planned in the next firmware update: http://forums.groundspeak.com/.....pic=267147

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

February 12, 2011
7:49 pm
phild31
Members
1418sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caotix wrote:

phild31 wrote:

I guess at least one of the programmers at Magellan is a Muggle! 😉

:woohoo: A Muggle working on my new eX

Now now, we have to try to be open minded. :whistle:
All those poor muggles thinking those billion dollar satellites are just for the army or getting mundane directions to boring places. :ohmy:

We know the real reason they are up there - to find Tupperware! 😛

A muggle is just someone that needs to be educated about what's important in life. :silly:

February 12, 2011
3:37 pm
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
1416sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

:woohoo: A Muggle working on my new eX

February 12, 2011
9:47 am
phild31
Members
1415sp_Permalink sp_Print

Always happy to help, it gives me another excuse to play with my new toy.

The fine line is that being Geocachers we are used to saying DNF (did not find) instead of 'Not Found' to get the sad face. 🙁

February 12, 2011
7:00 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
1414sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:
...The "Not Found" option would be for caches you marked "Not Found" on the unit as apposed to "Found"....

Now that makes sense. So there is a fine line between Not Found and UnFound eh?:)

Thanks phild31.

February 12, 2011
5:01 am
phild31
Members
1413sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

Thanks for your help guys.

Ok - I had selected "Not Found" on the Map Options, but when I selected "All" all the caches that I have downloaded appeared on the map - so I am not sure why that would be. However the caches that I have downloaded are just the Un-Found caches (to me).

Anyway - I now am back on track. Thanks

The "Not Found" option would be for caches you marked "Not Found" on the unit as apposed to "Found".
If you mark one as 'Found' you'll get a smiley face.
If you mark one as 'Not Found' you'll get a frown instead of a smiley face.
If you mark one as 'Needs Maintenance' you'll get a blue cross.

Apparently the unit don't know Un-found, unless that's "Not Attempted"?
If you have not marked a cache you get "Not Attempted" on the cache page;

February 12, 2011
1:14 am
phild31
Members
1412sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think the walking man is there to remind you that you are creating a track, as apposed to just the automatic active track.

For myself I usually clear the active track when I get out of the truck, then I can just follow the new active track back to it.

On the settings going to default, I have not had that happen with my 710 since the update to 3.23.

February 12, 2011
12:52 am
phild31
Members
1411sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, I was just playing with my 710.
When you click 'Start' the little walking man appears.
He will go away if you click 'Save'.
The little man appears when you either start a track, go-to a wpt or geocache, or route.

The unit will always create an active track but the little walking man will not appear until you pick 'start' or go-to.

February 11, 2011
11:40 pm
pprass
Members
1410sp_Permalink sp_Print

It looks like as soon as the GPS creates an Active Track - the little walking man appears. I deleted the Active Track and the little walking man disappeared.
Thanks again.

February 11, 2011
10:36 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
1409sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

S!G wrote:

This "walking man" shows, that you're on a route. It has nothing to do with the Caching-symbol....

I see - however it's there whether I have selected a route/wpt/geocache or not. ie It's always there. Even when the position indicator is blue.

Just to make sure: Go to the lower right corner menu and try to find a entry "cancel route" or similar (Don't know exactly, what is the english translation in the unit for "Route abbrechen". If there is such a option, press it and the walking man should disappear.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

February 11, 2011
10:03 pm
pprass
Members
1408sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for your help guys.

S!G wrote:

This "walking man" shows, that you're on a route. It has nothing to do with the Caching-symbol....

I see - however it's there whether I have selected a route/wpt/geocache or not. ie It's always there. Even when the position indicator is blue.

S!G wrote:

I have selected "all" geocaches on the Map options screen...

Ok - I had selected "Not Found" on the Map Options, but when I selected "All" all the caches that I have downloaded appeared on the map - so I am not sure why that would be. However the caches that I have downloaded are just the Un-Found caches (to me).

Anyway - I now am back on track. Thanks

February 11, 2011
6:27 pm
S!G
Members
1407sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've had this with the beta-610, but not with the production line 710.

February 11, 2011
5:09 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1406sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have had the same problem in the past and when I went into the "Map Options" I realized that I had selected what I wanted to see as far as Geocaches, but I hadn't enabled the Geocaches. So I would suggest checking the "Map Options". Also, I have had a couple of problem with the unit forgetting the settings and defaulting back to an original set of options, which turned "OFF" my Geocaches, so again I had to go back into the "Map Options" and enable them again.

David

February 11, 2011
2:23 pm
S!G
Members
1405sp_Permalink sp_Print

This "walking man" shows, that you're on a route. It has nothing to do with the Caching-symbol. I have selected "all" geocaches on the Map options screen. The ones, you've allready found, are displayed as smileys.
Maybe, this could clarify something.

Maybe, you can take a look at the Geocaches-Screen from the dashboard. Is it possible, you have deselected all caches?

February 11, 2011
2:22 pm
S!G
Members
1404sp_Permalink sp_Print

This "walking man" shows, that you're on a route. It has nothing to do with the Caching-symbol. I have selected "all" geocaches on the Map options screen. The ones, you've allready found, are displayed as smileys.
Maybe, this could clarify something.

Maybe, you can take a look at the Geocaches-Screen from the dashboard. Is it possible, you have deselected all caches?

February 11, 2011
1:53 pm
pprass
Members

For the life of me I cannot work out how to display the caching icons on the map screen. They used to be there - although very tiny and very hard to see compared to the eXplorist 600, but then they somehow disappeared.
I checked "Not Found" for Geocaches in the Map Options of the Geocaching Profile and activated Geocaching. I have also done the same in the Hiking Profile and copied it to all.

This now brings me to the next issue. Although I have selected Geocaching as the profile to view, it does not come up on the screen. All I see is the little walking man (Hiking) on the top of the screen.

Any ideas as t owhat is going on?

Thanks

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply