Battery Life | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Battery Life
September 28, 2011
1:00 am
k-rok
Members
Forum Posts: 49
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4304sp_Permalink sp_Print

thanks.

September 18, 2011
3:11 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
4249sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's not a battery charger, it's a rechargeable battery.
Go to this link to see it - Amazon.com.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

September 18, 2011
10:00 am
k-rok
Members
4248sp_Permalink sp_Print

does that charger say 10,000 mah. i found the case and i'm going to order it from amazon.com, it's actually cheaper than amazon.ca, even with the shipping.
the largest capacity charger i can find was 3000 mah and it looked too big to fit. what is the name of your aux. and where did you get it.
thanks P.

August 21, 2011
1:52 am
phild31
Members
4050sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, the case floats. It's a Pelican case made for geocaching but a regular case without the Official Geocache lettering would be cheaper.
I used that one because I happened to have it and it's about the right size.

The case I used is a 1060 micro case from Pelican, here's a link to them - Pelican

That PICMETA works pretty good, I used it a few times but now I use the 710 to take a picture and it saves the coordinates automatically.
If I use my good cameras I take the first shot with the 710 then all the camera shots from that location I have coordinates for.

August 20, 2011
9:34 pm
k-rok
Members
4047sp_Permalink sp_Print

i sometimes will run the 310 now the entire day with a battery switch 2 or 3 times. i do this because i have a free download for a program that inserts the co-ordinance in my pictures and i never know what i might run into and need to take one. it's called PICMETA for anyone who wants to try it.

the clear waterproof case idea is just what the doctor ordered P. i can read the gps and leave it run all day! there`s another bonus, it looks like it might float. Excellent idea!

BTW- if anyone uses the picmeta program make sure the time on your camera is syncronized with the gps, i found that after a month or so my Lumix TS2 was off a bit, after 5 months it was off by 8 minutes.

thanks again P!

August 18, 2011
6:11 am
phild31
Members
4041sp_Permalink sp_Print

All I can tell you is that my 710 never had that problem.
With it shut off I measured a current flow of one half of one milliamp.
With a 2400 mah battery it would take 4800 hours to drain.

August 18, 2011
3:59 am
DeadNoMore
Members
Forum Posts: 6
4039sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, guess I wasnt clear. My 610 would drain lithium, alkalines, and eneloops in about a week and a half without even being used. Just turned it on to check battery level only. That does not equal 8 to 16 hour battery life. Maybe my x10 is unique but I have read too much about others having the same issue. We will see how the new one works.

August 17, 2011
4:19 am
Morel
Guests
4034sp_Permalink sp_Print

DeadNoMore wrote:

The gc had great battery life. Why do the x10 not?

Screen size and touchscreen has a lot to do with it. Other factors could include barometer, compass, map options selected. It takes more power to run more processes. I've been getting 8 - 12 hours depending on what I'm doing with the 710.

August 17, 2011
4:16 am
phild31
Members
4033sp_Permalink sp_Print

You don't have to use externals to make it work.
But that external pack will power the 710 for over 30 hours.
The lithium batteries that came with the 710 will last about 6 or 7 hours.
Alkaline do not last as long, and no rechargeable AA batteries last as long as alkaline.
The GC does not do one quarter what the X10s can do, so of course the 510/610/710 will use more power than the GC.

August 17, 2011
3:10 am
DeadNoMore
Members
4031sp_Permalink sp_Print

Magellan is shipping new gps to me. Will let you know how that works. I for one don't know why I should pay as much as the x10 cost and have to use externals to make them work. The gc had great battery life. Why do the x10 not? This is a known issue that should be fixed.

August 14, 2011
6:00 pm
phild31
Members
4006sp_Permalink sp_Print

k-rok wrote:

thanks for the reply Karma, i'm seriously going to look into it. my only issue is that i would have to have the bottom of the 310 open and i travel though a lot of waste high wild blueberry bushes in the fog and rain (no paths), it can be nasty to get to your favourite lake. some guys have called this area the "doorway to ***" but these days if you want the pure wild trout (not stocked) you have to go the extra mile.

I know what you mean about trekking for wild trout.
Here's what I tried for a long hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire;

I could see the screen, totally protected from weather with the cable plugged into it, I hung it from my pack and it tracked fine.

BTW k-rok, Karma is a grade people give for helpful posts, not my name.

August 14, 2011
6:02 am
k-rok
Members
4001sp_Permalink sp_Print

thanks for the reply Karma, i'm seriously going to look into it. my only issue is that i would have to have the bottom of the 310 open and i travel though a lot of waste high wild blueberry bushes in the fog and rain (no paths), it can be nasty to get to your favourite lake. some guys have called this area the "doorway to hell" but these days if you want the pure wild trout (not stocked) you have to go the extra mile.

August 2, 2011
6:16 pm
phild31
Members
3866sp_Permalink sp_Print

Go to this thread - LINK - to see a report of an external rechargeable battery pack.
I have one and it powers my 710 for over 30 hours.
It's about the size and weight of a pack of cigarettes.

Here's a link to Amazon.com for the battery pack.

August 2, 2011
5:20 pm
k-rok
Members
3864sp_Permalink sp_Print

Update: now i know what everyone is talking about! i was just using the base map and some routes i made for a few lakes and rivers. i decided to make a few custom maps including some google earth hybrid. it now eats battery power, with the Hybrid Ray-o-vac's (1400 mha) they last about 3 hours.

looks like i'm going to have to use the suspend mode a lot and stick to my 2450 mah rechargeable's if i want to get a 6-8 hour track on it.

July 16, 2011
11:45 pm
k-rok
Members
3681sp_Permalink sp_Print

i had the same problem and thought it my 310 was just draining the batteries while not in use.
i charged my 4 infinicells (2450 mha) and my ray-o-vac hybrid (1400 mha) batteries the same day about 3 weeks ago. i checked them all in the unit, the infinicells read full charge and the hybrids read 3/4 (lower mah), so i left a set of infinicells in it.
three weeks later the unit read 1/2 charge and the other set of infinicells read 3/4 charge that where not even in the unit. both hybrids still read 3/4 charge, no power loss ( all 8 are newer batteries)
i know the hybrids are supposed to hold there power a lot longer but you can only get them in a lower mah. i've left the hybrids in for almost 2 weeks back in the spring and they still read 3/4.
i wonder if thats the issue and not the unit itself. all 8 batteries have lasted at least 6 hours straight on a fresh charge with the power save mode off.

July 16, 2011
3:10 pm
Morel
Guests
3676sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

why would the battery have lasted another 2 hours? (I run the batteries until the machine shuts down after the low battery warning message, so they are totally flat before I replace them.)

I have done some battery testing in the past that shows you can get 2-3 more hours usage with those same "flat" batteries the next day. They cool down and recover some voltage overnight.

July 16, 2011
1:09 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
3675sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been using up a set of rechargeable batteries (eneloops) and sometimes 2 sets for the last 76 days (ie caching each day pretty hard). On some occasions I have found that even after I have put in a freshly recharged set of batteries at night, the next day I get just a couple of hours usage out of them. Now at first I thought that maybe I had forgotten to recharge that set (I have four sets that I rotate diligently), but then realised that I couldn't have forgotten otherwise why would the battery have lasted another 2 hours? (I run the batteries until the machine shuts down after the low battery warning message, so they are totally flat before I replace them.)
I believe that there is some sort of intermittent drainage issue going on, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I have the GPSr on Suspend by mistake instead of Power Off, but then again it would do it's Retrieving Tracks routine when next switched on - which I would notice you would think!

July 12, 2011
4:35 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
3644sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, there's a potential issue with these units regarding battery drain. I'm going through it, as well as others. There's a thread about this - search for Battery Drain and you'll find it.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

July 12, 2011
2:40 am
DeadNoMore
Members

I have had two sets of batteries die on me in my 610 after power off and trying to restart. The first set I credit to usage, but was skeptical. The second I had a full charge and left off for 6 days. Just tried to turn on and the batteries are dead. No way this was due to use. Is there an issue with this GPS or do I need to change some settings? I have suspend set to never and power off when I turn the GPS off. I does cut off immediately, the GC actually took longer to shut down. This was my upgrade but if I have to pull batteries every time I turn off the unit, I am not sure how much of an upgrade this was.
Any help would be great,
Thanks,
DeadNoMore

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply