Bad News From Jeff Caulfield .. Are We Now The ONLY Magellan Explorist X10 Service Team in the World? | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Bad News From Jeff Caulfield .. Are We Now The ONLY Magellan Explorist X10 Service Team in the World?
This is a copy of a message that was posted by David Carr on his Magellan Insider website. He explains that Jeff Caulfield one of the only Customer Supporters of the X10's has left Magellan. Looks as though we are the ONLY Magellan Explorist X10 Support and Service Team in the World.
May 31, 2014
9:29 am
jg_the_Prophet
Admin
Forum Posts: 25
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Peter Good to Hear From You, 

There is something inherently bad with the software they supplied you with the 710.  There was never a calibration problem with the 710 since two years ago.

As for the updates, I do believe that Maggie is just cleaning up its software improvements and you will not see any further activity.

Vantage Point .. Version 2.43 has been available since 12/13/13.  This new VP has following improvements:

• Map support improvements
  • Added Magellangps account creation through VantagePoint
  • Bug fix to support Microsoft Office IME
  • Bug fix to correct elevation information for Summit series Australia/NZ maps.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

May 30, 2014
11:33 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264

Well now that is interesting.  After David's post which basically said that Magellan was pulling away from the Outdoor market, we get a software update for the Explorist and an update for VantagePoint!  Not that I can see much improvement in either, but it looks like they are still working on the products?

If that is the case then here are my top 5 wishes for the hard working people at Navman/Mitac/Magellan to work on:

Hardware Issues
1. Power management - I would like to get at least 8 hours usage from one set of rechargeable batteries. I currently get 3 - 5 hours - using 2,450 mAh.

2. Start up - should take only 5-10 seconds to boot up. Not 31 seconds and then from time to time some weird re-indexing procedure that takes 2 minutes Cry

Software issues

1. Maps  - need updating.  They are now 3 - 4 years old.

2. Maps - when you zoom out you lose all street detail.  Garmin maps stil lshow street detail even when you zoom way out.  I know that sometimes it looks like a big blob, but you can then zoom in a little to get the right detail that you want.

3. Adding Waypoints.  Method of adding WPT's and then selecting them as a goto takes too many steps.

Peter

btw - has the Magellaninsiders site closed down?

April 8, 2014
11:33 am
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1

Peter,  Alex does a good job of preparing maps for various parts of the World.  However; the problem is not making a new map it is gaining access to the latest data for this task.

I do not believe that Alex's map will be able to meet the requirements for the City Map feature of "auto routing" which you have addressed so often.

We can only rely on Magellan to update these maps as we do not have a large enough market to warrant purchasing the maps and road atlas data from NavTeq, etc for your slice of the World.

Regards,

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

April 7, 2014
10:00 pm
pprass
Members

JungleGhost said
...The decision was to devote our software mapping talents to a broader market need.

JG

Fair enough - you have a business to run.

Guess I am going to haver to learn how to make my own maps.  Now where is that Alex with Map 4 me or whatever Wink

March 31, 2014
12:08 pm
OSS-SAS
Admin

Hi Peter,

We reviewed this question in the Company so time ago.   The decision was to devote our software mapping talents to a broader market need.
The answer in a nutshell is that we will not be upgrading any Magellan Explorist software. 

That is Magellan's responsibility.

However, we will continue to support the existing user units with our repair facilities.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

March 31, 2014
2:28 am
pprass
Members

I could "smell" that something like that was developing - ever since we tried to find out when we were going to get map updates and then the sudden lack of response from Jeff.

JG - are you in a position to develop new maps for us in Australia?  I for one am willing to pay for a map update - otherwise the units that we have will soon become very compromised.  I suppose it all depends on the market demand?

March 1, 2014
9:05 am
OSS-SAS
Admin

Author's Note: David always been a great supporter of Magellan and created a liaison with the product group at Maggie HQ.  Last year all communications between Magellan broke down and he was no longer able to represent us directly with Magellan.  Below is his latest message on the Magellan.  JG

Hello Guys,

I just received a phone call from Jeff Caulfield, because he wanted to let me know that as of today - he no longer works for Magellan. As many of you have known, Magellan threatened Jeff some time ago because he was replacing broken units with new ones instead of making the customers fight with customer service. However, that is not the reason they let him ago. The reason that Jeff was let ago is because Magellan has walked away from their outdoor line and they no longer want to make the investment of having a public representative for the product. Yes, they have given up on US! From what I have heard through the chain - they have scrapped all future updates as well as the promised replacement for Vantage Point and are moving their focus to Athletic GPSrs as well as their ongoing Driving Nav. system. Of course, I just purchased a new Jeep Cherokee and it came with a Garmin which works REALLY, REALLY well!!!!

Anyway - I enjoyed my time trying to help the guys at Magellan; however, the Company has given up on both them and us... GO GARMIN!!!

David

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 2
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251