710 shutdown/restart | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
710 shutdown/restart
June 7, 2012
11:29 pm
loudspl
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6360sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

You can also try running the Firmware update on the unit to see if this will straighten out the corrupt file. Sometimes it works and sometimes that doesn't...

David

+1

Reflashing with the latest firmware should fix it. If not just get Magellan to replace/exchange the unit. That's your easiest option 🙂

June 1, 2012
1:40 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
6294sp_Permalink sp_Print

Problems with these units are usually minor and quick to fix. I wouldn't trade mine for anything !

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

June 1, 2012
11:14 am
kymbo
Members
Forum Posts: 13
6293sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found the reboot system and did that, it made no difference to the problem but the comment by phild31 rang a bell since I'd upgraded the software as you should with a new device. I followed his advice to the letter and it fixed the problem. There was no way to get into the device without the PC, once connected to the PC it seemed to override the fault at least allowing it to start.
Just as denisetdoris pointed out this happened only when I over zoomed (zoomed out) to see where the recently uploaded caches were. The map zoomed right out to the point where everything became blurry and before I could zoom back in the fault started. It seems there was a corrupted file from the update which caused the problem when the system was overstressed?
I sure hope thats the last problem I have with the unit, thank you one and all for your awesome input.
Kymbo

June 1, 2012
3:32 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
6289sp_Permalink sp_Print

I once had this happen to me while on the quad, it would go into that "restarting device to improve performance" routine. All I did for it to stop was to zoom out (or in) on the map one position, that's it. It quit and hasn't happen since.

Mind you, mine was going to the shutdown/restart, then displaying the map and updating my position, so I had time to play with it before it started the sequence again. You might not be so lucky.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

May 31, 2012
6:33 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6287sp_Permalink sp_Print

If the reboot does not work send me an email at [email protected] and I'll upload a backup copy of the files on my eX710 to my website so you can download the files and copy them to your unit.

You can also try running the Firmware update on the unit to see if this will straighten out the corrupt file. Sometimes it works and sometimes that doesn't...

David

May 31, 2012
6:25 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
6286sp_Permalink sp_Print

To do the reboot: Hold the power button for about 5 secs (as apposed to the aprox 2 secs to start the device, and the short touch to wake it up from active suspend)

May 31, 2012
4:39 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6283sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is a reboot sequence but I don't remember what is is, someone on this forum will no doubt respond about it.

But for something else to try, open the internal memory, open the USR folder and delete the UGDS.BIN file.
A new UGDS.BIN file will be generated when it restarts.
Sometimes the UGDS file would get corrupted with the older firmware and deleting it would fix the problem.

My unit has never had a freezing or won't start problem so I'm not sure what the reboot sequence is.

Meanwhile check on GC.com that you have GPX Ver 1.0.1 set.
Check 'Your Account Details' in 'Your Preferences'

I haven't done copy & paste GPX files to the 710 for over a year, so I don't know if that is creating the problem.
I have found GSAK to be the best way to manage and load geocaches to my 710.
Another way to try is "Send to My GPS" on the cache page to load one cache to the 710, that will use Magellan's Communicator to load the 710.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

May 31, 2012
10:21 am
kymbo
Members
6281sp_Permalink sp_Print

I downloaded the caches as GPX files, I did connect the GPS to the PC and I removed the caches I'd just installed. (I moved them to a new folder in my PC)
After that I restarted the GPS it immediately went back into reset mode. (over and over)
The unit just freezes immediately it starts.
Is there a cold restart setting somewhere?

May 31, 2012
7:07 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6279sp_Permalink sp_Print

First try connecting it to the computer, if it connects open the internal memory and open the geocache file and delete the new file.
Then do the same with the waypoints file.

Unplug the unit and see if it restarts properly.

How did you load the geocaches to the unit?

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

May 31, 2012
6:27 am
kymbo
Members

My new 710 arrived a few days ago and I'm getting to know it. I just downloaded about 30 caches from Geocache.com and zoomed the map right out so I could see that they were all there. The unit immediately froze with a note saying it would restart the device to improve performance. Every time it starts it does the same thing over and over, I have no control and it wont turn off. I had no choice but to remove the batteries and when I started it again it did the same thing. The unit is unresponsive and frozen. If this is what I have to look forward to I will not like this unit...
Any ideas guys?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 2
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264