710 review | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
710 review
November 23, 2010
3:39 am
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
846sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good news on battery life...been using the unit off and on for days, I'm thinking close to the 12 hour mark and I still have juice in the batteries. Using the Energizer Ultimates and I'm impressed with the life the unit has given me.

Coming from just getting a little over seven hours in my Triton 1500 this is a welcome change. Haven't tried using my rechargables yet...will have to remember to change the battery setting when I switch over and see what happens.

November 23, 2010
3:11 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
845sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wish having it plugged into a power source would disable the power saver mode.
I have it on my truck's dashboard plugged into the cigar lighter, when it times out it's an annoyance to press power button to bring it back up.
But it does power back up in a few seconds and continues the driving directions.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

November 22, 2010
7:12 pm
Sarge104
Members
843sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I have been testing different things so today I let it time out and go into power save mode, put it in my case on my belt and let it track me for 45 minutes after I found a cache. :whistle:

No problem tracking in the case, under my jacket while hiking. When I powered it back up in the truck, the track showed where I went and matched the part of my track I made earlier when I got on the trail back to the truck. πŸ™‚

The more I use the 710 the more I'm impressed with it! :cheer:

This GPSr ROCKS! :woohoo:

One down side to this power save, and I wish using auto routing would disable the power save feature. Luckily I knew that the GPS had missed a couple turns or else I probably would've had to explain to the land owner why I was driving all over their property..."DOH!"

GPS went to power save 30mins (As was set in the settings) while driving...so no more directions. Like I said, I was lucky enough to know that part of the area.

November 22, 2010
1:02 am
phild31
Members
834sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been testing different things so today I let it time out and go into power save mode, put it in my case on my belt and let it track me for 45 minutes after I found a cache. :whistle:

No problem tracking in the case, under my jacket while hiking. When I powered it back up in the truck, the track showed where I went and matched the part of my track I made earlier when I got on the trail back to the truck. πŸ™‚

The more I use the 710 the more I'm impressed with it! :cheer:

This GPSr ROCKS! :woohoo:

November 17, 2010
7:08 am
phild31
Members
816sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did the field notes through VP and got time stamps on my GC account 'field notes'.
Did it with the iPhone also and got two field notes for each cache.
The phone time stamp was Pacific time, through VP it was local time.
It also worked loading straight to GC.com with the 710.
This is very good, saves a lot of time in the field, just tap found & no comment and it will keep track of your finds for you.

November 13, 2010
6:12 am
Sarge104
Members
755sp_Permalink sp_Print

GC27GAY,2010-11-12T21:20:50Z,Didn't find it,"Not Found[Time to Find: 20 min]"
GC27581,2010-11-12T22:09:34Z,Found it,"Found[Time to Find: 10 min]"
GC2HYV8,2010-11-12T22:24:30Z,Found it,"Found[Time to Find: 13 min]"

Seems it does put in the time stamp, just doesn't put it in the post when you port it through VP. Will have to test and see if it does it when you just upload the file...

November 13, 2010
6:06 am
Sarge104
Members
754sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess I will have to do that work around with putting the time in the field note...but it deducts from caching time πŸ˜‰

I haven't taken a look at the field note itself but it is a seperate file on the unit and GC.com does allow you to upload it by itself. This bypasses VP entirely. I'm glad you really don't need VP for this unit at all but the added feature of getting cache page pictures is worth a little wait πŸ˜€ The field notes go in order of when you press "found" I believe this is regardless of if you push them through VP or just upload them to GC.com.

Heheheh, I have a FTF hound in my town here that is trying to get an FTF every month for as long as he can, only thing is that he takes them all if multiples are posted. I kinda had some fun with him the other night with 4 FTF's and made sure I hit them ten minutes before he did, dickish I know but I have little doubt he will get an FTF for this month.

November 13, 2010
4:14 am
phild31
Members
753sp_Permalink sp_Print

The keyboard is a bit cumbersome, but I like the large size of the characters both to see and to input.

In fact, what I like best about this unit is the size and brightness of the screen.
My old eyes can't see as well as they used to. :dry:

The time to find seems to start when you press GO.
When you tap 'Found' just put the time in 'Comments'?
I haven't used the field note feature yet.
Can you access field notes before uploading to VP?
What order will VP log the geocaches to GC.com?
I guess I'll have to experiment this week-end.

For logging a cache find I use my iPhone & the GC App and send a field note to GC.com.
That gives me a time stamp for each cache.
And it's in my GC account, I don't have to hook anything up to the PC.
When I get a First To Find I log it straight from the phone to let the other local FTF hunters know it's been found and to brag a little for the FTF. πŸ˜›

Plus it's kinda cool to log the find on Geocaching.com, in the woods at the geocache. B)

Save your tracks as routes on your road trip and play them back on VP, it's nice seeing the routes you took on the map. It will show time, date, speed, location & more.

Have fun and keep your eyes on the road, not the spiffy new toy. :silly:

November 13, 2010
1:54 am
Sarge104
Members
752sp_Permalink sp_Print

Appreciate the help Phild31, just got back from taking the unit out for a test drive. My girlfriend actually found the useful menu in the options menu (Route Options) that adjusted the route to make the gps go to auto-route mode without having to activate the auto profile. Popped out of the vehicle and the gpsr asked if we wanted to go point to point (Hike(off road)) and we continued on our merry way. Overall the test drive has been fun. The real test will be the road trip next week.

I do have a gripe though, the field note feature could really use a time stamp as to when the found button was pressed. Is there a way to turn this on? It does put in the time taken to find, I'm not sure when this starts either (maybe a preset distance from the cache or when the cache is first routed?) Other then that I need to see if the input keyboard can be shrunk since bouncing between two screens is kind of a pain. I don't mind going to another screen for numbers and special characters but bouncing back and forth to just put in a note seems a bit tedious.

The connection to the computer and VP (for pictures and caches) is really quick and I am starting to like this gps a lot. Hopefully future updates do not ruin this unit.

November 12, 2010
11:41 pm
phild31
Members
751sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would hold off on the update, there's a problem loading it. You won't miss anything.

You have to go back to settings and turn off 'screenshots' to get the power button back.

The menus without scroll buttons are sensitive to scroll, with a bit of practice it gets much easier. But if you are moving (walking or driving) you'll have to stop and pay attention to what you're doing.
A real pain to cancel a route while driving.
Hopefully they will add scroll buttons with an update.

Most of the controls are fairly intuitive and pretty easy to figure out.

I was at the end of the FedEx driver's route also, 12 hours from in the truck to my house, it drove me nuts.

November 12, 2010
10:53 pm
Sarge104
Members
750sp_Permalink sp_Print

Found that the snapshot function was part of the tools in the gps itself. It was funny that it uses the power button for this because it doesn't allow you to turn off the unit, just reboot it...hehehe, also found that the unit came preloaded with 10,000 most "popular" geocaches. I'm finding that the icons are very touchy making me wish for a stylus but the unit doesn't seem to come with one...interesting. Still trying to figure out the compase overlay and such but I am sure that further proding will achieve the desired result.

*EDIT* Ten thousand was a miss read on my part...the unit comes with 1,000 caches pre-loaded.

November 12, 2010
9:39 pm
Sarge104
Members
749sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just nabbed the unit from the Fedex guy, going to mess with it after lunch πŸ˜€

November 12, 2010
8:57 pm
Sarge104
Members
748sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have a dedicated camera for that :D. Like I said I'll mess around with the unit...once I get it...dang truck went out at 730 this morning and it's almost 12...grrrrr, *pee dance* ;). One more question on top of the screen shot button press, I'm not seeing what server the chat is hosted on. I'd rather bring it up on my own chat program and not have the clunky internet window interface. Anyone know what it is or point me to the post stating such useful knowladge? πŸ˜€

November 12, 2010
8:50 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
747sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just to let you know - the update was actually a very minor update. Here is what is posted on the Magellan site:

Improved Software Performance
Resolved Media Issue Where Users Were Limited to Capturing 700 Images
Improved Barometric Altimeter Calibration
Resolved Issue with β€œDegree/Minute/Second” Coordinate Entry

And I just got off of the phone with the product engineer and he told me that the biggest issue was with the camera and the 700 picture limit... So, if you do hold off you're not going to really be missing much, unless your nuts about taking pictures!!!

David

November 12, 2010
8:43 pm
Sarge104
Members
746sp_Permalink sp_Print

Appreciate the quick response, still waiting on my unit being delivered today. I'll hit some of the left-over caches in town today to get a feel for it and see how the functions go togeather. I'm assuming there is a button press combo for taking a screen shot of the gps screen...haven't stumbled across that on the forum yet... still looking though.

November 12, 2010
8:39 pm
Wanderer
Members
Forum Posts: 9
745sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would hold off for awhile.
There seems to be a glitch in the 3.23.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Wish I'd thought about that earlier.

November 12, 2010
8:25 pm
Sarge104
Members
744sp_Permalink sp_Print

Greetings,

Going to recieve my 710 later today and was wondering if I should apply the 3.23 patch yet? I'm not seeing too much flack about it but I am excited to be going on a road trip with the unit next week for a 500 cache run (Hopefully!) to put the unit through it's paces. As I tool around with the unit today I will see if the base software will be good enough unless there is a compelling reason to update it now.

Upgrading from a Triton 1500 I purchased back when you basically couldn't load caches on it. Manually inputing the Thailand caches in the unit cost me a couple caches I needed the page info for :(. The trade in process was a surprise to me and a welcome one at that. After having the 1500 for around three years it's been on the recieving end of falls from cliffs, under the geo-vehicle's tires, and subjected to the pacific's wonderful weather. It held up very well and I'm hoping that the new Exploriest unit does the same.

I'm off to await the new unit, take care all!

November 12, 2010
8:05 am
phild31
Members
740sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was tempted to go in after it but a cold, rainy November in Boston is not the time for a swim in the Charles.
And the current put it back with-in reach.

Ya remember the old song?
"Down by the river, down by the banks of the River Charles"
"I love that dirty water, OH Boston you're my home"

It's a lot cleaner than it was in the 60s, but still.......

November 12, 2010
4:06 am
Wanderer
Members
Forum Posts: 9
737sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wahoo!!!!
I can't imagine watching my 710 float down a river...I would be swimming for sure.
I dumped a canoe with my Sportrac and had to dive for it...sank like a rock. Buttons were a little touchy for awhile but it still worked fine.
Good info though....Best image to use my lanyard ALWAYS.

November 12, 2010
3:28 am
phild31
Members
736sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, to continue my thorough and extensive testing I slipped on some wet grass and dropped my 710 in the Charles River. :ohmy:

It floats! :woohoo:

It's waterproof! :woohoo:

There it was, bobbing along the Charles still pointing to the cache.
When I fished it out, in about 10 minutes, it was still working fine.
Everything still works, the speaker, camera, touch screen and buttons.
I dried it off (wiped it on my shirt) and checked the battery compartment and usb plug.
All dry as a bone! :woohoo:

I think I'll pass on dropping it 30 feet onto boulders and a stream, I already did that with my Triton 2000, witch survived. :blush:

Time to start using my lanyard! πŸ˜›

I hope Zagg has a screen protector for it soon, I'm gonna need it.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 14
Forums: 41
Topics: 920
Newest Members:
bianca44d037, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 26, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply