710: "Restarting Device To Improve Performance" | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
710: "Restarting Device To Improve Performance"
May 14, 2011
5:06 am
schwef
Members
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2899sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had not seen the restarting device to improve performance before after the firmware until I failed to clear the caches and waypoints from the unit before uploading a GPX from GSAK. When the unit restarted itself, it did not do it right away, happened 10-15 minutes after turning on, I noticed about 50 of 850 caches were missing. I am guessing here but the improve performance reboot is a way to garbage collect operating memory when the unit starts to run out of it -- basically a last ditch effort before crashing. Regardless, my data point to add is it might be related to how the unit handles GPX files that are updated (same name) without clearing first.

Jeff

May 10, 2011
1:27 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2824sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

dwcarr1 wrote:

...because in thinking about it I'm probably the worst Beta Tester Magellan ever had due to the fact that I don't experience the majority of the problems that others have. I wonder if this is because of my long time experience with the Tritons in which I learned several tricks that helped it work better and I still do them.

Later,
David

I believe the compass not staying in a calibrated state is the most important issue to rectify. It is most frustrating and harms the brand more than any other issue........Whether this is due to poor received signals because of interference, the lack of WAAS, a poor algorithms or a combination, I don’t know.

Just my thoughts.

Graham.

I have to agree. I haven't had a compass that out-of-whack on any of my 3 previous Magellans, as this one does. There's no reason for the compass to go out of calibration. You set it, and it should be good for until you change battery types, like the Tritons were.

There has to be some kind of buffer built into the unit to prevent it from spinning wildly like it does when you're standing still, there's no need for that.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

May 10, 2011
10:24 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2821sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

...because in thinking about it I'm probably the worst Beta Tester Magellan ever had due to the fact that I don't experience the majority of the problems that others have. I wonder if this is because of my long time experience with the Tritons in which I learned several tricks that helped it work better and I still do them.

Later,
David

David,

I understand where you are coming from (and that you are the messenger) and although I have never owned a Triton but from what I have gleaned from the forum you guys worked hard to sort it with little support. The eXplorist is a superior device again based on forum comments and as you have said a number of times, Magellan is listening.

It therefore should be an ideal time to not follow a set methodology when using the unit and with Magellan’s help sort the small number of issues out.

I believe the compass not staying in a calibrated state is the most important issue to rectify. It is most frustrating and harms the brand more than any other issue. Just today I drove to a cache in the bush, switched to point-to-point, stepped out of the 4x4 and the map is spinning. Took two attempt via the calibration routine to calibrate the unit and then I was able to walk straight towards the cache. I have sometime made many attempts to calibrate the unit only to have it lose calibration in a short time. Whether this is due to poor received signals because of interference, the lack of WAAS, a poor algorithms or a combination, I don’t know.

Just my thoughts.

Graham.

May 10, 2011
8:25 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2819sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, not that I'm happy you have got a hold of a virus, but this will be a good test and I understand about that VP can't hold a candle to GSAK as far as keeping your caches sorted. However, I would like to find out why VP is such a problem child on your computer. So anyway, I'll be waiting to hear how this works out...

Later,
David

May 10, 2011
8:13 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2816sp_Permalink sp_Print

David,

My Panasonic Toughbook picked up a virus a few days ago, I'll be wiping the hard drive and starting over with Windows XP pro in a few days.

When I get it running again I'll install VP, GSAK, any & all new drivers and Magellan software and see what happens on a computer that's a virgin.

That might give me some answers to what's been happening.
It will be a while before I have the time to do this but I'll get back to you on what happens as it happens.

And truthfully I'm just curious about it, until VP has a better geocache file system I will only use it for saving tracks anyway.

This should be fun, I barely know what I'm doing with this stuff.
Maybe I can get some geocachers from MIT to help me;

Phil

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

May 10, 2011
7:42 am
David
Members
2815sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

dwcarr1 wrote:

litngbug wrote:

I seem to have been lucky so far, VP loads caches to my 710 with no problems so far, I just load through the PQ function and I have over 3k local and NW US caches loaded from 5 PQ's.....
'bug

I have to agree with you, I don't believe that VP is the problem. I normally use it to load all of the GPSrs, except my Maestro, and I don't have any problems with any of them. And when I say all of my GPSrs that is a 710, 310, GC and Tritons. So I have to beleive that the problem is in the firmware...

David

If I load VP only with the PQ function it works fine.
But if I load a couple of new caches to the 710/GC using Communicator VP will not load cache data from the 710/GC, it crashes/freezes when I try.
If I load VP with anything not through the PQ function (GSAK GPX files) it will not load the 710/GC in less than 45 minutes or it just crashes.

I don't know what the problem is but I don't like filtering my PQs to create the PQs, I get every cache in Massachusetts in 10 PQs and filter what I want on the GPSrs with GSAK. Then I can load the 710, GC, Triton 2000 and explorist XL with no trouble or bother.

Phil,

I just really don't get it. I just ran 3 more test with my 710.

1. I manually downloaded a PQ (GPX) file and loaded it into GSAK and transferred it to my 710. Then I cleared everything in VP and then transferred the contents of the 710 to VP with no problem.

2. I left what was on the 710 (which had been transferred from GSAK) and then loaded several caches onto the 710 via Communicator and again cleared VP and transferred the contents of the 710 onto VP with no problem.

3. Cleared GPS and then transferred a PQ to VP and the transferred the data to the 710. Then I loaded several caches to the 710 via communicator and then did a sync with the 710 in VP and again it worked fine.

The truth is, I can transfer between all three of them with out issue and it isn't just on one computer. I have VP loaded on 3 machines. A Dell Mini 9 with XP S3, a Gateway Laptop with Vista and my main machine with Windows 7 64bit and it works fine on all three of them.

I'm not saying that you're not having issues with the transfers - however, I'm wondering if there is a compatability issue with other software or something to do with your hardware. Denis was having problems with VP also, until we had him upgrade his video drivers.

Anyway, I've been reporting these bugs to Magellan, but I beleive this is more of a capability issue with the software than it is a software error - because it does work on other's computers... And I know that you're not the only one having these issues and this is why I'm continuing to press for the software guys to take a look at this software on all kinds of different hardware...

Later,
David

May 10, 2011
6:06 am
phild31
Members
2811sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

litngbug wrote:

I seem to have been lucky so far, VP loads caches to my 710 with no problems so far, I just load through the PQ function and I have over 3k local and NW US caches loaded from 5 PQ's.....
'bug

I have to agree with you, I don't believe that VP is the problem. I normally use it to load all of the GPSrs, except my Maestro, and I don't have any problems with any of them. And when I say all of my GPSrs that is a 710, 310, GC and Tritons. So I have to beleive that the problem is in the firmware...

David

If I load VP only with the PQ function it works fine.
But if I load a couple of new caches to the 710/GC using Communicator VP will not load cache data from the 710/GC, it crashes/freezes when I try.
If I load VP with anything not through the PQ function (GSAK GPX files) it will not load the 710/GC in less than 45 minutes or it just crashes.

I don't know what the problem is but I don't like filtering my PQs to create the PQs, I get every cache in Massachusetts in 10 PQs and filter what I want on the GPSrs with GSAK. Then I can load the 710, GC, Triton 2000 and explorist XL with no trouble or bother.

May 10, 2011
2:56 am
David
Members
2809sp_Permalink sp_Print

litngbug wrote:

'bug

David

May 10, 2011
1:32 am
litngbug
Members
Forum Posts: 42
2807sp_Permalink sp_Print

'bug

May 10, 2011
1:03 am
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
2806sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I have never seen my 710 do that.
It starts up in about 60 seconds. Is that a long start up time?

Count me in this category, I had it happen once on booting (repeatedly) but that was due to a corrupted gpx file. Like phild31 I also no longer us VP and use GSAK for all my transfers and manually upload log files to GC.com.

Looks like VP may be the cause of some of these issues.

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

May 9, 2011
8:17 pm
David
Members
2803sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thx. warfieldm. I'll be keeping track of everyones stats on this and see what we can find and forward it on.

Thanks Again,
David

May 9, 2011
7:14 pm
warfieldm
Members
Forum Posts: 50
2802sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

1. How many caches are you loading on the GPS?

2. How many GPX files or separate loads are you doing?

One

3. If you’re using VP are you using the Send to GPS or the Sync button? Or are you using GSAK? Or dragging and dropping straight the unit?

GSAK

If you could look and see how many GPX files are located on the unit that would be helpful.

Only 1 plus the MGE file. None on the flash card.

I typically do not see this often either but did see it yesterday. Probably about eight times over the past couple months.

May 9, 2011
5:09 pm
phild31
Members
2799sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've got 1776 found caches as of today, 5-9-2011.
I have found and logged about 250 caches with the 710.
To repeat, I have never had my 710 reboot for "Restarting Device To Improve Performance".

Some answers;

1. - Between 1500 and 5000 geocaches.

2. - I'll load all 1500-5000 from GSAK, then load newly published caches from the GC.com cache page using Magellan Communicator (Send to My GPS).
Today I have 3007 geocaches loaded.
I have one big file from GSAK, 18,679 KB and 27 small files (4-9 KB each) from Communicator.

3. - I never use VP to load caches to the 710. I only use GSAK or Magellan Communicator.

My normal routine;

1. - When I load my GPS from GSAK I always erase every cache and waypoint on it before loading them.

2. - I normally load one transfer from GSAK then add new caches daily with Communicator. After 5 or 6 days I start over with new PQs through GSAK.

3. - I always clear the cache stats history.

4. - Upon returning home I NEVER use VP, period, exclamation point! I go to GC.com and upload the file that way and I never have a problem with a missing log file.

5. - When in the field and marking a cache as found I never enter a comment.
I usually use my iPhone to post field notes in the field, with no comments.
After getting to a computer I'll load field notes from the 710 & end up with duplicate field notes on GC.com.
The notes from the iPhone will have a Pacific time zone time stamp, from the 710 the time stamp will be local time.
Doing this I never forget to make a field note on both the 710 and iPhone. It acts like a sum-checker for me.

6. - I break my routine to try to duplicate problems posted on the forum.
I'll clear all the files and data from my 710 after my experiments and load new GSAK files to restart my normal geocaching routine.

May 9, 2011
3:54 pm
David
Members
2796sp_Permalink sp_Print

I need details, details, details; because NO not everyone is having this issue! I for one am not. I have seen it do it a couple of times, but only a couple of times. So, I have a few questions, because in thinking about it I'm probably the worst Beta Tester Magellan ever had due to the fact that I don't experience the majority of the problems that others have. I wonder if this is because of my long time experience with the Tritons in which I learned several tricks that helped it work better and I still do them. But anyway, here are the questions:

1. How many caches are you loading on the GPS?
2. How many GPX files or separate loads are you doing? (i.e, did you load 500 on Tuesday then add 500 on Thursday and then add another 100 on Saturday)
3. If you’re using VP are you using the Send to GPS or the Sync button? Or are you using GSAK? Or dragging and dropping straight the unit?

If you could look and see how many GPX files are located on the unit that would be helpful.

As I said, I’m not seeing the majority of these issues so let me explain how I’m using the unit. I am an active Geocacher and I’ve logged more than 1,500 finds with a 610 or 710 so I’m not someone just sitting at home playing with the unit as a Beta Tester. I am out in the field every chance I get. But, because of my experience with the Tritons I’ve learned a set pattern that I go through – not that this is right or that we should have to do this, but it is just what I do and for some reason I’m not seeing the issues.

1. When I load my GPS(s) I always erase every cache and waypoint on them before loading them.

2. I only load 1 transfer to the unit. This doesn’t mean only one Pocket Query; however, I always load all of my PQs into VP or GSAK and then transfer them at one time, which results in a single GPX file on the unit and Yes I normally use VP and I never have any problems with it on any of the three computers I use it on – however, recently I have been using GSAK so that I get the attributes and hider’s name. Just for info, I normally load between 1000 to 4000 caches on the unit.

3. I often clear the cache stats history before transferring the caches and waypoints to the unit, because I use it as a daily counter instead of a life time counter, especially when going after 50 to 100+ caches in a day.

4. Upon returning home I NEVER use VP to upload the field notes to GC, because if you do VP will delete the Log files if you allow it to open your web browser for you and then you choose to close the browser for some reason. Although it is supposed to ask you before doing so, I’m found myself accidently deleting the log file through that process. So I do directory to GC.com and upload the file that way and I never have a problem with a missing log file.

5. When in the field and marking a cache as found I always enter a comment, although it is normally just the default and then I press the check mark entering it into memory. I know that it is different in the firmware, but in the older firmware if you didn’t enter the comment there were times when the find wouldn’t be entered into the log.txt file. When I first got my 610 beta I could figure out why the logs would often be blank not showing any finds, but then I realized it was because I wasn’t entering the comments – so it has become SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) . Maybe after 21 years in the military I’ve got to used to always doing things in a set pattern!!!

Anyway, I just thought that I would share these things, because maybe by my NOT having the issues with the unit, hopefully it can help us find what is causing the issues!!!

Later,
David

May 9, 2011
3:51 pm
michaeln
Members
Forum Posts: 61
2795sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

My Garmin Oregon 450 would be up and running in about 10-15 seconds after power on, so a minute seems like quite a long time to me.

---
San Francisco, CA

May 9, 2011
3:11 pm
phild31
Members
2793sp_Permalink sp_Print

May 9, 2011
2:03 pm
michaeln
Members
2791sp_Permalink sp_Print

It did it a few minutes ago sitting at home connected to the computer in "Power Only" mode (USB power).

---
San Francisco, CA

May 9, 2011
2:00 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2790sp_Permalink sp_Print

michaeln wrote:

But I find now that I own a 710 that several times a day (sometimes multiple times in an hour) it will suddenly decide to reboot with the message "Restarting Device To Improve Performance". The performance never seems to be better or worse as a result, but that means that multiple times a day I have to wait through that long boot cycle before I can resume whatever I was doing.

Is this happening to anyone else?

I have see this pre and post the upgrade but not very often. Usually with low voltage or when changing battery type.

Your unit may have a voltage regulation problem. The new unit should prove that.

Graham.

May 9, 2011
1:57 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2789sp_Permalink sp_Print

yes, it happens to everyone else I believe.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

May 9, 2011
1:34 pm
michaeln
Members

Coming from a Garmin Oregon 450, when I read about the Magellan 710's long startup time I figured "Well, that's kind of annoying, but normally I boot the GPSR in the morning, go out caching all day and then turn it off when I get home, so the long startup time shouldn't be a big deal".

But I find now that I own a 710 that several times a day (sometimes multiple times in an hour) it will suddenly decide to reboot with the message "Restarting Device To Improve Performance". The performance never seems to be better or worse as a result, but that means that multiple times a day I have to wait through that long boot cycle before I can resume whatever I was doing.

Is this happening to anyone else?

---
San Francisco, CA

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply