610 with new Version 7.02 just arrived | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
610 with new Version 7.02 just arrived
August 6, 2012
4:17 am
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 56
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6951sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phild31 wrote:

To make myself clear about my opinion on Magellan support - the past few years with MiTac the feedback to us and the responses to complaints & suggestions has been outstanding.
The firmware updates have obviously been addressing the issues we have been discussing on this board.

Thanks for making that clear Phil, because some of your comments are rather contradictory. :huh:
Just having some fun and maybe it is my reading comprehension gone awry. :blush:

Seriously though, it would be so very nice if an update improved most of the software related problems and peeves that many on the forum encounter.

Jaker

August 6, 2012
2:13 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
6950sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

...it is my understanding that the development team decided to pull back on the firmware release they had been working on, which include new features, in order to specially address many of the issues weโ€™ve been raising...

That is very encouraging to hear - thanks David.

August 5, 2012
1:21 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6947sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you David, that's good to hear about the next firmware release.

Without any serious new problems I was getting a little bored waiting for the firmware release. ๐Ÿ˜›

To make myself clear about my opinion on Magellan support - the past few years with MiTac the feedback to us and the responses to complaints & suggestions has been outstanding.
The firmware updates have obviously been addressing the issues we have been discussing on this board.

MiTac is doing a very good job reversing the widely held belief that Magellan was a second rate product.
People used to roll their eyes and ask why I use Magellan.
Now they want to see the 710 in use and are universally impressed.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

August 5, 2012
7:49 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6946sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've pretty much stayed out of this conversation, but I will have to say that all of the guys that I know at Magellan, which is several, all what to listen to us and this is especially true of the reps in the field. Actually, Jeff Caulfield and I bump notes against each other all the time and we make sure that we all verifiable issues are forwarded to the product manager. Actually, today I put on my Magellan Rep. shirt and represented the company at an event down in Big Bear, CA and Iโ€™ll be forwarding all of the comments early this next week. Also, I will be meeting Jeff at the GC Block Party on the 18th and weโ€™re supposed to possibly be meeting with the upper management as Ground Speak while were there to see how Magellan can work more closely with Ground Speak to improve the Geocaching experience with their units. They are listening.
Also, it is my understanding that the development team decided to pull back on the firmware release they had been working on, which include new features, in order to specially address many of the issues weโ€™ve been raising โ€“ therefore working on giving us a better product before adding to it. I can tell you have if you have an eXplorist x10 GPS there will be updates for come for some times; but of course there will be a date in the next few years at which they will have to replace the units, just like they did with the Meridians, Old eXplorist and Tritons.

David

August 5, 2012
1:27 am
phild31
Members
6942sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since Mitac took over the support has been fairly good, they at least answered questions and I have gotten two phone calls checking on my satisfaction of a problem resolution.

Any statements from sales people and marketing people at a demonstration booth I will take with a grain of salt.

Statements from the leader of the programming team to David Carr for dissemination to the several forums he monitors, with the caveat of no promises or details, I find very refreshing and encouraging.

Magellan, Garmin and DeLorme do not repair broken units, they all will replace units under warranty with refurbished or sometimes new units.
Like most tech companies they outsource repairs.

But with Jungle Ghost available to repair my 710 if necessary, I am quite confident in buying, using and recommending Magellan.

August 4, 2012
11:13 pm
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 89
6941sp_Permalink sp_Print

Garmin is no better.

August 4, 2012
8:46 pm
Sorceress
Members
Forum Posts: 75
6940sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

It's the many years part of my statement that is critical.

I buy Magellan products because I like the products, not because I like the company.

What I have learned to expect from Magellan's customer service is zero, so any customer support at all is a plus in my opinion.

Phil, We buy from Magellan because the basic products are excellent. We, as you, have found over the years that the customer support is "zero".

In fact, it really does not exist except for defective unit replacement.

So our Company chooses Magellan because we can find the customer service and support that they do not offer from an outside vendor.

-S-

August 4, 2012
3:49 pm
phild31
Members
6939sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's the many years part of my statement that is critical.

Meridian, explorist 500, explorist XL are no longer supported by Magellan.
No profits to be made supporting them!
My Triton 2000 is still somewhat supported, but for how much longer?

I don't love any company, but I do love some products made by companies that have proven over the years that to them I am just another potential cash cow that will keep buying new stuff no matter what.

So my loyalty to Magellan is exactly the same as Magellan's loyalty to me.

I buy Magellan products because I like the products, not because I like the company.
What I have learned to expect from Magellan's customer service is zero, so any customer support at all is a plus in my opinion.

August 4, 2012
2:50 pm
Jaker
Members
6937sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil31wrote:

The stockholders of MiTac and Magellan only care about maximizing profit, not having a quality company producing quality products & services for many years.

I will defer to your insights into this companys marketing strategy, but any company that does not care about producing quality products and services and loses sight of its customer satisfaction level will soon have no profits at all. Goodbye stock holder, goodbye share price, goodbye company.
I wonder if this means that we can't expect anymore firmware updates for our old units, since they simply don't care about their old customers.
Strange behaviour indeed. Who knew. :silly:
I love this company so much I will be forced to go out and buy their latest unit in the hope that they are indeed "New and Improved". Laugh

Jaker

August 4, 2012
6:28 am
pprass
Members
6935sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

...Why would they think it's important to me that I have a unit that lasts for years & years when I keep buying "New and Improved" units, even though all the Magellan units I have bought still work fine.

Fair comment - but the marketing guys here in Australia were really determined to get back on top of the heap.

August 4, 2012
5:07 am
phild31
Members
6934sp_Permalink sp_Print

The stockholders of MiTac and Magellan only care about maximizing profit, not having a quality company producing quality products & services for many years.

What is important to Magellan is to sell me a new unit, not help me keep my 710 working for many years.
After all, they sold me a new Meridian Platinum, a new Explorist 500, a new Explorist XL, a new Explorist GC and a new Explorist 710.

Why would they think it's important to me that I have a unit that lasts for years & years when I keep buying "New and Improved" units, even though all the Magellan units I have bought still work fine.

They know exactly what is really important to me and the rest of us. ๐Ÿ˜‰
I think we have trained them well. :dry: :huh:

August 3, 2012
11:45 pm
Jaker
Members
6932sp_Permalink sp_Print

A few years from now when you are sitting in front of your fireplace thinking warm and fuzzy thoughts about your old gpsr and a company that almost made it and nostalgia gets the better of you, you might wonder why Magellan never figured out what is really important to you. :unsure: ๐Ÿ˜›

Jaker

August 3, 2012
8:55 pm
phild31
Members
6931sp_Permalink sp_Print

WARNING WARNING content contains rampant cynicism!! ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
Viewer discretion is advised. :blush:

Haven't you figured out by now that Magellan doesn't care what is really important to you?

We now will go back to warm & fuzzy comments. Kiss :silly: :woohoo:

August 3, 2012
7:54 am
pprass
Members
6928sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

pprass wrote:

phild31 wrote:

...I'm sure Peter and Graham would like to see the power adapters they have work properly or the driving directions work right.

My main and over-ruling issue at the moment is the power indicator problem and not allowing the GPSr to shut down due to the batteries going flat. All the other problems are secondary operational issues that I can deal with.

I was picking issues and people out of thin air to make a point, not list the most important issues you or anyone else has at the moment.

Yes - I know Phil. I was just wanting others and possibly Magellan know what was really important to me at the moment.

August 3, 2012
7:52 am
pprass
Members
6927sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorceress wrote:

...I have yet to encounter the problem you are mentioning in your posts.

Have you let the GPSr shut down due to the batteries running completely flat? So flat that when you press the power button, nothing lights up - not even the Magellan starting screen?

Or do you replace the batteries when you receive the low battery message?

August 3, 2012
2:05 am
phild31
Members
6924sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use rechargeable batteries now because I got tired of throwing away so many batteries.

I always have 4 alkaline spares with me for 'just in case' and for my friends to use if needed, along with at least 4 fully charged spares.
I don't travel abroad (except Canada) but I have several ways to recharge my batteries including solar and vehicle 120 volt converter.

The Powerex 2700 mAh NiMH are the best of about 12 brands I've tried.

I only had the fail to start happen once before pprass mentioned it, then I tried it a few times to see what happened and it progressively got worse each time.

With absolutely no empirical data or research I have stopped using the vehicle power adapter to power my 710 in the truck, I now use my Hyperkin battery pack for power in the truck.

I figure if that's what Jungle Ghost does & recommends it's good enough for me! B)

August 3, 2012
12:32 am
Sorceress
Members
6922sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

A question for you; have you ever run your unit till it shut down for dead batteries and if so did it start up normally with new batteries installed?

Phil, I always use alkaline AA on our 510's, 610's and 710's. They are easy to find when I am traveling abroad.

Obviously, I always set the units for Alkaline.

Now if they deplete because of battery drain (storage) .. no problem I plug in a new set and start up.

If they deplete because of normal usage, and this happens to me on many occasions, and my stupidity. .. no problem I also plug in a new set and start up.

I have yet to encounter the problem you are mentioning in your posts.

In other words, I gave up using rechargeables. For extra power, I use the Hyperkin.

If the Hyperkin is not with me.. I just use alkaline.

Any brand, Kodak, Ray0Vac, Everready, Wahoo's, they all work and I have yet to encounter the problem you are discussing. Maybe I am lucky. :S

I do not use lithium because of cost. I did try POWER2000 2900 mAh NiMH rechargeables. They just did not work well for me. On my Triton units they were a blessing. I actually could get 12 - 15 hours with minimum usage of the backlight.

Sorry,

-S-

August 2, 2012
11:55 pm
phild31
Members
6921sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I use rechargeables and set it for rechargeables the power indicator shows half with fully charged batteries installed and in about 2 hours the unit will shut down for low batteries.
If I change the setting to alkaline those same, 'dead' batteries will show 3/4 full.

If I change the setting to alkaline the fully charged batteries will show full and will run the 710 for about 6 hours.

A question for you; have you ever run your unit till it shut down for dead batteries and if so did it start up normally with new batteries installed?

When mine shuts down for dead batteries it will take 2 or 3 tries to get it to start with new or fully charged batteries.
I am very careful now to not let the batteries get that low.

I'm also not willing to experiment trying to repeat the not starting routine because it has gotten worse every time, I'm afraid it will eventually not start at all! :ohmy:

August 2, 2012
7:38 pm
Sorceress
Members
6920sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

pprass wrote:

phild31 wrote:

...I'm sure Peter and Graham would like to see the power adapters they have work properly or the driving directions work right.

My main and over-ruling issue at the moment is the power indicator problem and not allowing the GPSr to shut down due to the batteries going flat. All the other problems are secondary operational issues that I can deal with.

Phil, Is the power indicator problem only occurring with rechargables? I use only ALKALINE and I have not seen this problem.

-S-

August 2, 2012
3:15 pm
phild31
Members
6918sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

phild31 wrote:

I was picking issues and people out of thin air to make a point, not list the most important issues you or anyone else has at the moment.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply