610 Questions | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
610 Questions
May 24, 2011
2:21 am
rufrak
Members
Forum Posts: 30
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3061sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Phil, so I guess it is a misprint ("black" for "red") in the manual. And I didn't realise the Smart arrow changes colour to warn if I'm getting off course - that's good to know!

May 22, 2011
5:13 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3030sp_Permalink sp_Print

The red arrow on the outer rim of the compass points to your target when you are on a 'route' or 'Go To'.
Some examples;

1st I have no 'Go To' set, no red arrow;

Next I have a 'Go To' set and the 'Smart arrow' in the center is green because I'm facing the target;

Now I'm facing 90 degrees away, the smart arrow is yellow;

Now I'm facing 180 degrees away, the smart arrow is red.
The red arrow on the outer rim always points to your target;

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

May 22, 2011
4:07 am
rufrak
Members
3028sp_Permalink sp_Print

Time for another question: on the compass screen, what is the little red arrow on the outer ring? The manual refers to a "black arrow" - is this a misprint, because the picture in the manual shows the little red arrow I'm asking about, but it doesn't show any black arrow?

And the compass DOES stay calibrated with good batteries or when connected to the computer.

May 6, 2011
3:58 pm
phild31
Members
2698sp_Permalink sp_Print

Matt,

You're right, I think I got confused by the update instructions that said to put new batteries in before doing update.
Once when I loaded a new batch of caches after unplugging, when it 'indexed data' the unit shut down with dead batteries.
So I assumed it used up the batteries when connected when actually I had mostly dead batteries in it to start with.

That should teach me to not assume anything. :blush:

Phil

May 6, 2011
12:00 pm
warfieldm
Members
Forum Posts: 50
2696sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

It saves batteries only if it's set to 'power' if you click 'connect to pc' it runs on the batteries.

Phil,

Not sure if it's a hardware version difference or not but my 610 does not rely on batteries in 'connect to pc' mode. Easiest confirmation was to connect to pc and remove the batteries. Difficult to say if there is still battery drain or not though.

Matt

May 5, 2011
8:13 pm
rufrak
Members
2686sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you all for your quick replies.

I think the electronic compass issue must be due to batteries, as Graham suggests. I'm using cheap rechargables (soon to be replaced) that lose their charge fairly quickly, and I'm sure I didn't have this problem when I was using the "ultimate lithiums" that came with the unit. I'll report back when I get better batteries. I did try re-calibrating out in the field just by moving it in the figure eight pattern without going to the re-calibration page and it didn't work on my 610. The GPS compass works just fine, though, as soon as I'm moving - I've got it set to go on at 3.0kph.

Thanks for all your tips and answers, Phild31, especially that "connect to pc" means the unit is running on batteries. I also followed your suggestion elsewhere to switch from "auto continuous" tracking to timed (I've got it set to 5 sec.) and I'm sure I'm getting much more accurate (although shorter) distances walked.

And don't worry, denisetdoris, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions to ask - although I don't know if I'll have 606!!

Thanks again.
Rick.

May 5, 2011
3:11 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2672sp_Permalink sp_Print

With regards to the Electronic Compass dropping out of calibration. I have the same problem with my 710, it appears the electronic compass is very sensitive to battery voltage. As soon as the rechargable battery drop a little voltage the compass will not stay calibrated.

Graham.

May 5, 2011
2:32 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2669sp_Permalink sp_Print

... and here I thought you were going to ask 610 questions.... like, 606 more than you had asked ... lol !

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

May 4, 2011
10:55 pm
phild31
Members
2668sp_Permalink sp_Print

It saves batteries only if it's set to 'power' if you click 'connect to pc' it runs on the batteries.

The best case I've seen (& use) is this - MicroPak GPS Case from GPSOUTFITTERS, $14.

With the compass, do you mean when you have it plugged into the computer?
If it's plugged into the computer the compass shouldn't matter?
If it's not calibrated in the field I found that just waving around will recalibrate it, no calibration page.

The SD card will show on your computer as another drive, not on the 610's memory.

The best screen protector is ZAGG. They don't make one for the x10s yet but I got one for an explorist XL and cut it to fit.
Use a camera cleaning cloth & lens solution to clean the screen.
You won't damage it with normal usage, a little harder than an iPhone but don't get carried away whacking the screen. 😛

The upgrade installed for me (on my 710) with no major problems.

May 4, 2011
9:26 pm
rufrak
Members

I picked up an ex610 Canada about two weeks ago and so far I'm totally amazed at what it can do! I've been reading this forum constantly and getting lots of answers and tips - for instance, plug the unit into the computer via the USB to SAVE BATTERIES!
I bought the Magellan case but found it was too small and tight for extras so I found a Lowepro AW 100 ($50 Can at Future Shop/Best Buy but my son works there so I got it for $23) - it has room for the unit, spare batteries, SD card and even room for the Magellan case so I can pack everything to the trailhead and then put the 610 in the Maggie case on my belt or pack strap for hiking!
I'll continue reading here and playing around but I do have a couple of quick questions:
The electronic compass won't stay calibrated - I thought it might be an automatic shut-off when the batteries were low but it happens even on computer power. I do have it turned on and it calibrates easily but then after 5 or 10 min. it's un-calibrated again.
I installed an SDHC card and ticked "use SD card for external storage" but it doesn't show on the unit's internal memory. Is this normal?
I'm looking for a screen protector (bargain bin at Staples, as someone on this forum suggested) but in the meantime what's the best way to clean the screen without scratching it? And can I damage the touchscreen by pressing too hard on it?

OK, a couple more than a couple of questions!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, I have software version 3.24 and I think I'll stay with it for a while before upgrading.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply