610 - First impressions | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
610 - First impressions
November 15, 2010
5:32 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
799sp_Permalink sp_Print

First of all - I think there may be a misunderstanding here! The pictures that are being downloaded are NOT the gallery pictures and they DO NOT show up as media on the cache information screen so you can not select the media button and goto the pictures. The pictures that will show on the media button are those that you have associated with a cache. The pictures that are downloaded via VP are those included in the HTML for the descriptions and you will see them there!

To load my eX610 I've just down downloading the Pocket Quaries straight into VP and then loading them to the unit and I've been having no problems. I only use GSAK with my Tritons!!!

David

November 14, 2010
10:30 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
792sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

... my eX610 does exactly what it is supposed to do - it downloads any pictures and are included in the HTML of the Descriptions and I can see them just fine on my unit.

I created a GPX file from GSAK and no pictures. I then downloaded the caches from VantagePoint and no pictures. How are you and Sockeye doing it to see the pictures?

November 14, 2010
4:19 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
789sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just adding a comment about download the pictures - my eX610 does exactly what it is supposed to do - it downloads any pictures and are included in the HTML of the Descriptions and I can see them just fine on my unit. However, if we're talking about downloading ALL of the pictures in the gallery for each cache - it would cripple the unit and take forever to download. Here is something I wrote to GC owner a couple of months ago:

Kim,

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but I really wouldn’t be looking for Magellan to implement this into the GC and here is why. As a programmer I decided to look into this and I found a big problem. The GC “claims” to be able to handle something like 10,000 caches. Currently, I normally load between 1,000 to 1,500 caches so I used 1,000 as a trail number. After looking at a number of caches I came up with an average of around 5.88 pictures per cache with an average size of around 100Kb. So, with a 1,000 caches loaded and 5.88 pictures per cache, that is 5880 pictures at 100kbs a piece coming up to 588 Meg of pictures that would have to be transferred. If you look at your GCs memory you’ll see that it has a total memory of 1.8GB, 1.0GB of which is taken by the map and 13MB taken by applications leaving 699MB. So, if you were to transfer 588MB of pictures to the unit, that would really be pushing it to its limits, which is greatly going to slow down a unit that is already receiving complaints about freezing up, and you would be spending a GOOD deal of time loading your GC before you went out! Personally, I believe that the cost of performance, time and memory is greater than the payoff of having the pictures in the field – although I too would love to have them!

David

Just something to think about...

November 14, 2010
3:15 am
Morel
Guests
787sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

And what the heck is spoiler2gpx?

There is a lot of older but still very helpful info on Tritonforum: Spoiler to GPX

November 14, 2010
12:39 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
785sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, I'm a sucker for punishment, how do I get pictures in the cache description?

And what the heck is spoiler2gpx?

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

November 14, 2010
12:34 am
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
784sp_Permalink sp_Print

The pictures in the cache description work fine. If you addintionaly want to have the SPOILER pics, you should have a look at spoiler2gpx.

BR
Sockeye

November 13, 2010
11:40 pm
pprass
Members
782sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:...I can live without the pictures....(

Yeah - I suppose I can too, but I was trying to upgrade to a GPS that would truly give me the ability to go "paperless caching" with just one device. Without images, I'm not quite there. I still need to load the caches into my PDA which does have the pictures.

I guess though that it is not that often that I need an image to find a cache - I will just have to do a bit of planning before I go on a hunt and make sure I have the information needed to work out a puzzle on the spot etc.

Thanks for your help.

November 13, 2010
5:30 pm
phild31
Members
760sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

phild31 wrote:

With GSAK I had it set wrong and got bad GPX files.
When I used GSAK to send to my GPS it worked fine.

I apparently had it wrong as well but it worked for short while, then the data disappeared. I had to change the Waypoint Name from %name to %code in the GPX creation screen of GSAK. Plus uncheck a couple of boxes.

When you say "When I used GSAK to send to my GPS it worked fine" do you mean "Send WPT's" under the GPS menu of GSAK?

Yes, 'Send WPTs' under GPS.
It loaded caches and waypoints.
When I loaded that way I got attributes but no pictures.

I'm sorry, I was wrong about getting pictures through VP. :blush:
I just tried it again, thinking I must of done something wrong but I end up with the same thing as you, no pictures! :angry:
I also can not load tracks from GPS to VP. :angry:

Personally I never liked VP anyway and very seldom use it.
I hope Magellan fixes VP so it will work properly but I can live without the pictures and definitely live without VP. 🙁

November 13, 2010
8:57 am
pprass
Members
759sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

If you load geocaches through Vantage Point you can get pictures, although it's a little slow to load to the unit.

Have you actually seen the pictures on the GPS when you download from VantagePoint? I previously downloaded from VP and I could see where the picture should be (there's a document symbol to the LHS of the screen where the picture should be) and then under that symbol the description of the picture - but no picture!

Did you have to set up the GPS to accept media?

Thanks

November 13, 2010
8:30 am
pprass
Members
758sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I apparently had it wrong as well but it worked for short while, then the data disappeared. I had to change the Waypoint Name from %name to %code in the GPX creation screen of GSAK. Plus uncheck a couple of boxes.

When you say "When I used GSAK to send to my GPS it worked fine" do you mean "Send WPT's" under the GPS menu of GSAK?

November 13, 2010
7:51 am
phild31
Members
757sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello,

I've had my 710 for 10 days now.

I would like to have 'Cancel Route' as a choice for one of the hard buttons.
You and I both got used to 'Go To' screens & menus, I still find myself looking for the Go To screen.

If you load geocaches through Vantage Point you can get pictures, although it's a little slow to load to the unit.

The scrolling on some menus is the biggest issue I have, needs scroll buttons.
I also miss the compass arrow from my old explorist XL.

So far I'm very happy with this new unit, as you play with it you will get used to it in a short time. Except for the d... scrolling anyway.

November 13, 2010
6:37 am
pprass
Members

G'day all (some of this is also on the Groundspeak forum)

I just received my 610 from the Australian Magellan distributor (first one in Aus. apparently)on Wednesday 10 November and the first thing that struck me after taking it out of the box was how solid and weighty it felt – even without the batteries in it. A sign of quality?

The screen was bright and clear – after adjusting a couple of the settings - and the touch screen surprisingly responsive, although I still haven’t got the hang of scrolling up. (more on that later)

After playing with it for a few minutes I was able to work out the basics, but when toggling between the map screen and the compass screen a weird zooming effect occurred. Even though I was at a zoom level of say 240 metres on the map, when I went to the compass and then back to the map it would zoom out to 3,200kms!! I disabled the “Auto Zoom” function and that seemed to stop that occurring again.

I was then confounded with the most simple of functions. After selecting a cache, or a WPT, how the heck do you cancel it? In the 600 there was a simple selection in the "GoTo" screen called "Cancel GOTO" After a lot of screen tapping (the manual doesn't mention a word about it) I discovered that you have to "Cancel the Route" Now I ignored that for a while because I didn't set up a "Route", but I guess if I had the Routing map installed then when you select any WPT - you automatically create a route.

After getting over some simple hurdles like that (which look pretty big at the time - let me tell you!) I started to really enjoy this unit. Loved how I can select a geocache and quickly zoom in on the map to see where it is and tap on the surrounding features to quickly pick up names of roads, mountains, facilities etc. However not so pleased that when you select a geocache after selecting “view on map” - the zoom remains at the level that was on the “view map” screen. On the 600 the zoom would revert to the level that you had on the normal map screen which typically would be around 350 metres.

Another issue I am dealing with is how to cancel a "geocache route" without accidentally tapping the "Found It" button. When you tap on the bottom RHS Menu button the Options screen comes up. Then to scroll down to "Cancel Route" you put your thumb on the bottom of the screen to drag it up - and guess where the "Found" it button is! I suddenly realised that I had found half a dozen caches and I hadn't even moved from my desk. I need to practice that "window drag" manoeuvre before I don't have any more caches to do.
It would be nice to be able to program the order of the items on the Options Menu – I would put “Cancel Route on the first screen – definitely before say “Backtrack”. Or have “up” and “down” arrows at the bottom of all of these screens.
I love how I can load up all of my state's caches - however I originally loaded all of my unfound caches - about 5,500 and just was amazed at the detail - although I wish the Child WPTS were on the same file and that we could import the images as well - makes some multis and puzzles a little easier to do when you can see the instructions if they are in image form.
However there is something not quite right here at present. The GPX file that I have loaded from a program called GSAK mysteriously disappears! I can see the file in the folder called “Geocaches”, but I can’t see any caches on the screen, or on the “Geocaches” menu. Only the original GPX file that came with the unit appears to be active (1,000 USA caches). This happened to me yesterday and after a bit of deleting and re-loading, I got it to work again, but just now as I switched on the unit to talk to you about it – the geocaches disappeared once again. As I say – I can actually see the file in the folder – but not the details on the screen nor the menu.
Update 12 Nov – I loaded the GPX file via VantagePoint as suggested by Next Destination and it works. I have left a message on the GSAK Forum for assistance.

Anyway - this is just my first impressions and I am loving other aspects of the unit and will get the hang of it in a few days or so.

For instance it is so cool to have the compass superimposed on the map screen. But the compass is different from the 600 which had a large indicator highlighted in red showing the direction of the cache. Again I guess I will get used to the tiny red arrow head on the 610
One other issue - I wish I could alter the size of the position indicator arrow. It is way too big and hides too much detail at certain zoom levels - like the cache! However - because of the very quick ability to zoom in and out I am getting used to it.

The Geoscience map on the micro SD card (if it is there), I can’t get to it. Or – I don’t know how to do it. There doesn’t appear to be a Card Utility function. There is a memory function that refers to the SD card, but when I activated that – nothing happened. Also when I connect the GPS to the PC, it recognises 2 drives – the internal drive of the unit which I can access and explore and the micro SD drive – however I can’t access that drive. When I click on it says – “Insert drive” or something like that
Update 12 Nov – I re installed the card and it now reads the map.

The map colours of the Discover Aus topo mapping are a bit too dark. The colour between the streets is a dark olive green which makes it hard to read names that are printed in black on the map. I would have thought that the lighter colours of the Google maps would be better suited.

When I go from Map View 2D to 3D, the Map Orientation suddenly changes from North Up to Track Up. Also the 3D view isn’t really that effective – can’t really see any relief.

I now need to work out how to add WPT's and adjust the co-ords in a more efficient manner – there are too many “taps” to get to the screen where you change the co-ords. And then you only can change the degree minutes and decimal minutes – not the degrees. Also you have to key in every number even if you don’t want to change most of them.
For instance if I get to the screen to change the south co-ords I would see as an example “25.908”. And say I just wanted to change the last 2 digits of the decimal minutes from “08” to “35”. You can’t move the cursor over to the last 2 digits and change them – you actually have to key in “2”, “5”, “9” and then “3”, “5”.

Also you don’t get an opportunity to view it on the map before saving it. Very handy to check that you have entered the right co-ords before going to it.

Hope that this has been useful.

Regards

Summary of issues:
1. The Geocaching GPX file created from GSAK disappears. The USA file is ok though.
2. Maybe the “Cancel Route” should read “Cancel Route/WPT”
3. Put “Cancel Route/WPT” higher on the options list.
4. Revert to the zoom level that is on the Map screen after viewing a WPT on the “View on Map” screen”.
5. Can Child WPTs (Geocaching secondary WPT’s) be included in the same file as the Geocaching WPT’s? They were in the 600.
6. Can images be included in the geocaching downloads?
7. The arrow on the compass indicating the direction to the WPT is a bit tiny. On the 600 there was a thick arrow that went right across the compass and it was red from the centre of the compass to the tip of the arrow – excellent graphic!
8. On the other hand the “Position Indicator” arrow is too big. Need to be able to select options for size.
9. Map colour is too dark for areas between suburban streets (housing?) It is a dark olive green – should be possibly light blue or some pastel colour.
10. Toggling from Map View 2D to 3D causes the “Map Orientation” to change from “North Up” to “Track Up”.
11. 3D view is not that effective on the Topo map – hardly any relief noticed
12. Changing co-ords on WPT’s is cumbersome.
13. Need to be able to view new WPT’s on the map before saving – as in the 600.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply