610 accuracy question | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
610 accuracy question
July 26, 2011
12:14 am
zee
Members
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3783sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use DEG.DDDDD a lot, and in my older SporTrak and Meridians I would find that a waypoint had changed the last number, sometimes. I got to putting the decimal part in the Message box as a backup.
My Triton 1500 was real bad about self changing the waypoint numbers, sometimes the last two.
The worst part was when using the User Grid feature it would change the Lat/Lon of orgin almost every time between off and the next startup.
And on the unit to meters conversion, it would change the proper entry of 0.30480061 to 0.304801 every time it was entered.
Bugs in the firmware/software? I wish I knew.

July 25, 2011
10:02 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3782sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't use the dashboard very often and when I do I usually change the settings to whatever information I happen to be interested in at that time.

As far as the last digit changing from what is inputted, my 710 has been doing that from day one.
I have no definitive answer to why it does this.

It will affect the placement of the waypoint/target but how much would be determined by how and why it's changing the digit.
If the input coords are interpreted as DDD.DDDD by the GPSr and then it rounds it off up/down to the nearest number in DD MM.MMM then the difference will be less than 3 feet.
Three feet is not enough to worry about on a machine that has an estimated accuracy of 12 - 16 feet at best!

But why does it do it when the numbers I manually input are in DD MM.MMM?

I have not had any problems with the 710's accuracy when searching for a cache so I'm not concerned about it except as an intellectual exercise. :blush:
I am curious about it though, does anyone know why/how it does this? :dry:

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 25, 2011
6:49 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93
3779sp_Permalink sp_Print

That will give you the same setting as Geocaching.com uses.

Can you tell me how you have your dash board set up (Back Door )

Never mind I figured it out :blush:

This old dog takes a while but it eventualy sinkes in :woohoo:

July 24, 2011
1:22 pm
garcor
Members
3774sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Unless you are doing scientific studies and need the most precise accuracy possible from these units the degree/minutes setting is fine.

BTW the settings don't change the accuracy of the machine, it will give you better numbers for a more precise placement of a location.
And for geocaching it will be converted to degree/minutes anyway!

I have my settings just like the way you have yours pictured.

My question is when I download GSAK files or direct DL from cache to GPS I have noticed the last Cords digit some times ( not Always ) changes by up or down 1 number from the posting.

The same thing happens if I put Cords in as a way point.

I don't think the last number changing up/down will make a big difference.

But I am wondering if this due to the settings or software issue ?

July 22, 2011
3:13 pm
phild31
Members
3766sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's a comparison of 4 settings.
I changed the north coordinate by 1 and checked the distance it moved.

If you haven't used FizzyCalc here's a link - FizzyCalc it's a free app.

July 18, 2011
7:01 pm
garcor
Members
3706sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Phil !

July 18, 2011
6:43 pm
phild31
Members
3705sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unless you are doing scientific studies and need the most precise accuracy possible from these units the degree/minutes setting is fine.

BTW the settings don't change the accuracy of the machine, it will give you better numbers for a more precise placement of a location.
And for geocaching it will be converted to degree/minutes anyway!

July 18, 2011
6:33 pm
phild31
Members
3704sp_Permalink sp_Print

garcor wrote:

Reading this post and can't figure out what is the best setting for accuracy . Assuming the choices are the same on the 710 as the 610

Don't worry about accuracy for geocaching or most things you will do with these units.
For me the easiest settings for everyday use are these;

That will give you the same setting as Geocaching.com uses.

July 18, 2011
6:00 pm
garcor
Members
3703sp_Permalink sp_Print

Reading this post and can't figure out what is the best setting for accuracy . Assuming the choices are the same on the 710 as the 610

July 18, 2011
7:20 am
WRW
Members
Forum Posts: 16
3699sp_Permalink sp_Print

The accuracy of DD.DDDDD (5 decimals of a degree on the x10) is slightly better than DD MM.MMM (3 decimals of a minute on the x10)and both fall well within the accuracy of the gpsr in WASS mode so you wouldn't even see the difference.

At the equator (or along any great circle or meridian), the distance between two points one decimal point in accuracy apart as shown on the gpsr are as follows:

0.00001° = 1.1 meters
0° 00.001' = 1.8 meters
0° 00' 01" = 30.9 meters

The distances measured along parallels of latitude get smaller as you move further from the equator.

Obviously, Degrees-Minutes-Seconds isn't very usefull at all and is outside of the gpsr accuracy.

July 3, 2011
2:17 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
3575sp_Permalink sp_Print

The most accuracy within the three choices (Degrees only; Degrees,minutes,miliminutes and Degrees,minutes,seconds), you have with DD°MM,MMM. The reason is: If you devide one minute by 60 (seconds), you have not such accuracy instead of deviding a minute by 100 (miliminute).

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

July 3, 2011
1:22 pm
DeadNoMore
Members
Forum Posts: 6
3573sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the reply. As you can tell, I am new to this GPS thing. I use it for Geocaching and the first one I had (explorist GC) did everything right out of the box. Didn't have all these options or it came set correctly for Geocaching.
Thanks again.
DeadNoMore

July 3, 2011
5:31 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
3571sp_Permalink sp_Print

DeadNoMore wrote:

Another question I have, would Degree, Minutes, and Seconds make it more accurate and if not, why?

Thanks,
DeadNoMore

DeadNoMore,

Degree, Minutes, and Seconds will give a more accurate location. Doesn’t change the underlying accuracy of the unit just allows you to input locations with more precision. That is do you need to be within a few feet or is a couple of miles fine.

Graham.

July 3, 2011
12:23 am
DeadNoMore
Members
3565sp_Permalink sp_Print

Called Magellan. Seems I had the thing set on Degree only and it was putting my input coordinates way off. They had me switch to Degree and Minutes. Another question I have, would Degree, Minutes, and Seconds make it more accurate and if not, why?

Thanks,
DeadNoMore

July 1, 2011
9:24 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
3554sp_Permalink sp_Print

DeadNoMore wrote:

I guess my question is, what should my coordinate default be? There are 3 choices and I was using the default.

Thanks,
DeadNomore

DeadNomore,

That is a question we can't answer, because it is up to your preference! Personally I like DDD°MMM.MM, however, that is just want I've grown accustom to you can try each and see which one you like the most. The biggest thing it to make sure that we're reading the coordinates in the same format in all of the programs you're using and on all of your GPSrs! :blink:

David

July 1, 2011
3:14 am
DeadNoMore
Members

Went for a Geocache and the original coordinates were spot on. It was a puzzle Geo so I figured the next coordinates and input them as a waypoint. I was test the 610 and had found this Geo before. when I put the coordinates in, the GPS said the next leg was 11.5 miles away. In actuality the next leg is only 2 box away. I guess my question is, what should my coordinate default be? There are 3 choices and I was using the default.

Any help would be great since this is my first expensive GPS. I had the GC before this and never had a problem.

Thanks,
DeadNomore

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply