510 MGRS Coord display | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
510 MGRS Coord display
April 6, 2014
10:54 am
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Derik,

Sorry to be late in getting back to you.  Here is the method we use.  It works for us.

HOW SET UP YOUR EXPLORIST X10 OR A TRITON FOR MGRS .. Military Grid Coordinates.
Thanks to "
sdmanthey"

1) Click on menu > View > Settings > Navigation
2) Under Coordinate system select MGRS
3) Then you will be asked for the accuracy setting. This is up to you but most military grid coordinates are based on an eight digit grid coordinate (10 Meter Accuracy)
4) Under zone select MGRS-1
5) Push the ESC button and it will back you out to the Navigation settings again.
6) Select the Map Datum (most common is WGS84)
7) Select your North Reference .. This is a personal preference but I like magnetic for two reasons. First, I am already converting my grid azimuth to magnetic azimuth to use my compass. Second, it is easy to remember that both my compass and GPS are based on magnetic North. I don't have to remember different settings.
8) Again hit the ESC button to return to the GPS screen... (get out of all the menus)
9) Hit the button in the center that opens the Options Menu
10) Select Map Options.
11) Under quick info, select coordinates.
12) you are done... ESC your way out

What this just did will allow you to move the cursor to the exact MGRS coordinate you want to plot and then save as a waypoint.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

March 15, 2014
12:33 pm
Stryker1513
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I just got a magellan 510 and have a question about the coordinate display on the main map. My Pri coordinates are set to MGRS, coord zone is MGRS-1, and datum is WGS84. Being military i understand the MGRS system and am used to seeing with your grid identifiers and 6-10 numbers ie, 15SWB 12345 67891. However on my 510 it displayes as (15SWB) 000064669E, i am not used to seeing it this way, is there a setting im missing or elsewhere i can check to get grid coords?

Thanks in advance!

-Derik

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 11
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply