310 - Thumbs down on file management! | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
310 - Thumbs down on file management!
April 12, 2012
9:30 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5793sp_Permalink sp_Print

Perhaps this is a bug of some libraries.
At the end of March, I saw the weather forecast on 32 March. This was the official site of Met Ukraine. I thought it was a joke.

April 12, 2012
6:07 am
stumpjump
Members
Forum Posts: 16
5791sp_Permalink sp_Print

I finally got around to fixing the tracks which would not load to VP. As noted in the above post, I opened the files in notepad and changed the dates. The dates on my files that would not load all were ">2012-03-32T" I just did a find / replace function, which made it quick to change the 100's of points within the files all with one command.

After changing the dates all to >2012-03-31T, the tracks then loaded into VP.

April 7, 2012
5:40 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
5701sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well at least we know about the silly track upload errors... lol ! I'll know to check that next time it happens again. Maybe the date error came from the satellite data ? Is that even possible ?

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

April 6, 2012
10:51 pm
Waverley04
Members
Forum Posts: 3
5698sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks to denisetdoris I have been directed from my thread headed 'Tracks with wrong date and won't transfer to VP' to this. I have read through this and can make the following observations (am using an eXplorist 610):
I tried 'drag and drop' with the problem file and nothing was imported. I deleted all loaded tracks and weypoints but still no import occured. I then tried this with an old gpx file and it worked.

I then as suggested looked at the gpx file in 'notepad' and what did I find ... that 1 day ahead in the date issue. I made the track on 31st March but the track point by point information was dated 32nd March:
18.398438 I edited 32 to 31 right throughout the list and ... yes it loaded OK. So the bug seems to be that it thinks 32 March follows on from 31 March. This presumably is also why the file itself when looked at in the GPS was showing a nonsense date.

On track naming. What I have found is that it is context sensative so does not always give the saem options. iHowver if I select 'Save Track' and just confirm it adds 1 or 2 etc to the previous name. However if I tap on the icon at hte middle bottom of the screen it opens the text editor so that I can amend the default name. Thanks to everyone.

April 5, 2012
5:04 pm
stumpjump
Members
5683sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmebd wrote:

Not making fun of you but trying to make fun "with" you....

I believe I read a small part in the license agreement where it states "everyone that purchases a unit from us will from this point forward be considered a non-compensated associate."

:laugh:

Hey, There's an idea.... How's about a little compensation??? B)

One way or the other I figure I'll make it through this.

April 5, 2012
1:38 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
5677sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not making fun of you but trying to make fun "with" you....

I believe I read a small part in the license agreement where it states "everyone that purchases a unit from us will from this point forward be considered a non-compensated associate."

:laugh:

April 5, 2012
12:09 am
stumpjump
Members
5675sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Ok - I just got a reply from Richard at Magellan and he told me that there is no limit to the number of tracks that Magellan can handle. However, now I'm starting to wonder if the VP database was corrupted. Maybe you need to back everything up and wiped VP along with the corresponding directory under My Docs... and reinstall it and see if it will then accept tracks again.

David

I agree, it is possible that something is corrupted. Once again, I will have to spend a bunch more time on something that I would prefer to just be able to use. I was not looking for lifelong employment out of this...

To backup and re-install everything sounds simple but it is not necessarily a 10 minute job. I bet it takes another 2-3 hours of messing around to get it working again - if in fact this is the problem.

April 4, 2012
7:53 am
Paganel
Members
5669sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Maybe you need to back everything up and wiped VP along with the corresponding directory under My Docs... and reinstall it and see if it will then accept tracks again.

VP Base is stored in the subfolder of MyDocumentsVantagePoint. Before installing the program you want to delete all this folder.

April 4, 2012
1:07 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
5668sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok - I just got a reply from Richard at Magellan and he told me that there is no limit to the number of tracks that Magellan can handle. However, now I'm starting to wonder if the VP database was corrupted. Maybe you need to back everything up and wiped VP along with the corresponding directory under My Docs... and reinstall it and see if it will then accept tracks again.

David

April 3, 2012
7:52 pm
Paganel
Members
5662sp_Permalink sp_Print

Checked. I'm all right.
Perhaps one of your files tracks is incorrect. Look closely. We have had reports of problems with the wrong date of file tracks.
You can delete all the tracks one by one until the problem disappears. Then copy back until the problem appears 🙂

April 3, 2012
5:58 pm
David
Members
5660sp_Permalink sp_Print

The problem is a bug between VP and the eX310. VP is supposed to detect with options are available for each GPS. When you go to synchronize or transfer only the options that, that GPS supports are supposed to show up. I.e, with the GC you only get Waypoints and Geocaches, but with the eX710 you get Waypoints, Geocaching, Tracks, Routes, Media, Contacts and so on. However, with the eX310 when you go to transfer from the GPS to VP and ONLY in that direction, not from the computer to the GPS, but only from the GPS to the computer the option to transfer tracks is not showing up.
When I said that I can drag and drop tracks into VP I meant that I can open up the file explorer in windows and click on the saved track and drop it right on top of VP and it will automatically load it into VP, since there seems to be no other working option to load it into VP. I've tried this a number of times and it does work...
Now that you say it, I haven't tried to synchronize option, but I will this evening - because normally I never use it; which is a habit that I got into with the Tritons, because the synchronize was known to cause problems with them.
Anyway, I hope this clears up any confusion.

David

April 3, 2012
3:51 pm
Paganel
Members
5659sp_Permalink sp_Print

I understand.
1. If synchronization is not available - the problem with the driver. When you install the VP created a folder - c:MagellanDrivers. Update from it your USB-driver.
2. Dragging from the device to VP - this is equivalent to File-Open (top-left corner of window). Data is transmitted via GPSBabel. Sometimes it is buggy. Open tracks through Import. I have run all three methods.
3. Just putting the file on the device is not enough. GPS does not know about it.
Do not even poking around in folders Points, Routes and Tracks. Create a separate folder on the device and download there all the files you need the points, tracks and routes. In sum, there may be much larger than allowed by the device.
When you need a specific track or set of points - import it Back (to main menu) - Menu (context) - Import - Select Folder - Select File). When he will not need it - delete it and import the other. From the folder, he will not go anywhere.

April 3, 2012
1:28 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
5658sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Drag-and-drop they are referring to is in Windows Explorer, not in VP. Windows Explorer is what opens up when you connect the unit to the PC and the unit appears as an external storage device (drive E or F). You can Drag the files from the card, and Drop them to the device folder.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

April 3, 2012
10:17 am
Paganel
Members
5657sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do not understand. As you drag them?
I use a panels "Synchronize" and "Transer from My GPS to PC". There's no dragging and dropping.
I identify that I need the data and press the button "Ok". I have everything copied and is synchronized.

I can not delete data from the GPS. But I'm asking about this for several months.

I have Windows XP. Maybe a clever Windows 7, makes drag and drop, where it is not?

April 3, 2012
6:12 am
stumpjump
Members
5656sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've got 33 tracks and 16 waypoints.

The drag and drop method does not work either. It looks like it is working, you see the + sign when you drag the file over, and a box flashes on the screen with a green bar like it is transferring, but the file does not show up in VP.

April 2, 2012
10:18 pm
Morel
Guests
5653sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not an exact number but I had between 7000 and 8000 tracks in VP last week. I now have it whittled down to 32 in VP and 34 on the 710.

April 2, 2012
10:11 pm
stumpjump
Members
5652sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can check tonight, but I have more than 25 I'm sure.

April 2, 2012
7:06 pm
David
Members
5651sp_Permalink sp_Print

To be honest I don't do a lot of tracking with my GPSrs, except with the active track, for the purpose of getting back out of remote places in the desert here where I live and I don't store many of them in VP or on the GPS. I probably have a total of 3 or 4 in VP. However, I do see the problem with VP not allowing the eX310 to NOT transfer the tracks from the GPS to VP. StumpJump, you say that you have several saved in VP, can you please give me a number so I know what to ask Richard as Magellan concerning a maximum number.

Thanks,
David

April 2, 2012
6:46 pm
stumpjump
Members
5650sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm suprized that the "drag & drop" method worked for you - it did not work for me. I'll have to try it again. Maybe there is a limit to the # of tracks stored in VP?? I have quite a few.

April 2, 2012
4:18 pm
Paganel
Members
5649sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a 310 and 1.12-1.18 VP 2.17-2.26. I had no problems. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I did not have more than ten tracks in GPS and VP. I keep in the Navigator and program just what I needed today. Check it out.
Today an hour chasing the tracks back and forth.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply