310 has a mind of it's own | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
310 has a mind of it's own
July 4, 2011
3:33 am
Charles
Members
Forum Posts: 36
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3578sp_Permalink sp_Print

I encounter this problem quite frequently. It seems to happen when I am in a canyon where some of the satellite signals are lost but not all. I would assume that the position would not be updated at all if satellite lock was lost.

Vantage Point appears to adjust the track so that it follows the ground. This tends to distort the appearance. If the track is displayed without adjusting the altitude, the track does tend to follow a smooth path which is however wildly inaccurate.

To display the track in this manner, I export it from Vantage Point as a GPX file. Next the file is converted to KML using GpsBabel where the option "Altitudes are absolute and not clamped to ground" is checked. Finally the resulting KML file is imported into Google Earth. In every case that I have done this, the anomalous points are always part of a segment that forms an upward trajectory often reaching hundreds of feet above ground level.

I would have thought that there would be some mathematical procedure that could be used to identify such sections of a track and to apply some form of correction or at least to identify the existence of the problem.

July 1, 2011
9:55 pm
k-rok
Members
Forum Posts: 49
3557sp_Permalink sp_Print

UPDATE - i went on a fishing trip tuesday, about the same length and time as the previous one, i also had it around my neck and in the case but this time i set it for auto course rather than distance (15 meters). there where NO bad points.

June 19, 2011
3:01 am
k-rok
Members
3370sp_Permalink sp_Print

had mine set to beep for sat lock, never lost it. i probably had 15 bad points.

June 19, 2011
12:55 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3367sp_Permalink sp_Print

How many points were way off?
I have seen on some long hikes 3 or 4 separate anomalies like you describe on my 710.
It seems to me that it lost satellite lock for a few seconds.
These hikes were in thick forest.
Like you I removed the bad points from the track.
I think I'll set the alarm for satellite signal and see if it beeps now & then.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 18, 2011
11:28 pm
k-rok
Members
3366sp_Permalink sp_Print

it was around my neck on the water but in the case on my hip, right side up while walking. didn't make any difference David, the way off points occurred both ways. i had an excellent lock at all times (all bars).

June 18, 2011
10:43 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
3365sp_Permalink sp_Print

When you had it in the case was the antenna up or down? Because when you hang it around your neck the antenna is down. I'm just wondering! I almost always wear mine around my neck on a lanyard and I've not had any problems with this, however, I also don't live where there are a lot of trees, which can also make a hugh difference with any GPS...

David

June 18, 2011
10:25 pm
k-rok
Members

yesterday i went on an exploring/fishing trip. i turned the 310 on for the entire trip, 14km (10 miles)of hiking and boating (inflatible), i was in an area that is hard too get too but i had full lock every time i checked it, wide open and high up.
the problem was when i got home and downloaded it into VP. there where points that where up t 150 meters (140 yds) off the track. one was placed 100 meters into the woods while i was in the boat.
i then downloaded it into Mapsend Lite and these anomalies came up in different colors (red, orange, yellow). i removed the points and fixed it.
the gps has had the same settings for the past 2 months and no problem. the only difference is i hung it around my neck rather than on my hip in the case, but i can't see that making a difference.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251