710 Dies when "calculating route" | Page 2 | Bug Reporting | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
710 Dies when "calculating route"
January 30, 2012
8:16 pm
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 56
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5166sp_Permalink sp_Print

Denis, just wondering if you tried the defrag that you mentioned in an earlier post.
I can feel your frustration and just to inform you that my unit (I just tried it cold and loaded, but without satellite signal) it took 31 seconds from touching power button to map screen. I have only 10 caches and two saved tracks and no media though. Hoping this issue gets resolved for you shortly.

Jaker

January 30, 2012
7:54 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
5165sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just tried, first load was still set to Rechargeable. Set to Alkaline, and shut off and restarted, and loaded normally. I know those batteries are junk (Energizer) as I've had them before, some 2300's. Hated them too.

As an aside, it would help if it didn't take nearly 2 minutes to load the unit from Off. My Windows XP computer loads faster than that and it's 8 years old. There's no realistic excuse for a handheld GPS to take 1:45 seconds to turn on, memory testing and whatever (and that's without counting how long it takes to get satellite signal), something can be skipped I'm sure, to get it down to a minute or less. Please forward our displeasure to Magellan about startup time as well.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

January 30, 2012
4:35 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
5163sp_Permalink sp_Print

Denise,

I’m using the same batteries with battery type set to rechargeable with no problems since the firmware update. I’ve only seen that in the past with flat batteries. Did it work OK with another set of batteries?

Graham.

January 30, 2012
2:22 pm
denisetdoris
Members
5162sp_Permalink sp_Print

With fresh rechargeables, it starts loading up... before getting to the map screen I get a warning "Replace batteries". I press OK, it continues. Sometimes it gives the warning again, sometimes no... the screen goes blank, and I have to press Power to have it continue startup. Then it finishes the startup procedure. Either the batteries are no good (energizer 2450 with <30 charge cycles), or the latest firmware has caused an issue. Can you confirm if they've done anything with the Rechargeable battery setting ? I remember there was a glitch with that a while back.

January 30, 2012
8:46 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
5157sp_Permalink sp_Print

Denis,

Can you give me a little more information as to what you mean by your 610 being on crack? If there is reproducible I need to report it...

Thanks,
David

January 29, 2012
5:28 am
denisetdoris
Members
5142sp_Permalink sp_Print

How does that work, the defrag ? Just plug it in, then select the x10 and defragment it, that's it ? Same with the MicroSD ? I might try that, a couple of "issues" since the most recent FW.... my 610 seems to be on crack lately, it buggers of on a tangent when starting up !!!

January 28, 2012
11:18 pm
ki4amd
Members
Forum Posts: 7
5141sp_Permalink sp_Print

Update on this bug. It has been quite a while since I defragged the 710's memory and it's still running great. I also noticed that it has better battery life while operating, and my power-off run-down issue seems to have been cured also. Defragging the memory was a real miracle cure on my 710!

November 27, 2011
6:03 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
4619sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm glad you found a solution.
A problem that used to happen is a file would sometimes get corrupted somehow and would cause problems.
It was the UGDS.BIN file in the USR folder.
Whenever I reload files to my 710 I always delete the UGDS.BIN file, the unit generates a new file when it indexes the data when you unplug it.
I do that automatically every time I have the unit plugged into the PC so I didn't think about mentioning it earlier.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

November 27, 2011
3:07 am
ki4amd
Members
4618sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phild, I was already using external memory to store everything that I could easily store there, but thanks to your advice about memory, I tried plugging the 710 into my laptop and defragging both the SD card and the internal memory. Problem solved! After doing that (even with somewhat deader batteries) it successfully calculated several routes. I would never have dreamed the problem could be memory related.

November 24, 2011
12:06 am
phild31
Members
4609sp_Permalink sp_Print

The batteries will not last long, no matter what brand or type of batteries, these units eat batteries!
If you are having a bleed-off problem on the shelf try removing the batteries and leaving them on the shelf with the unit.
With my 710 I measured a current flow of one half milliamp while shut down. That would take 4,800 hours to drain my 2400 mAH sanyos.

A few of us on this forum have done some extensive battery testing.
If you expect 8 hours of use you will be disappointed.
In suspend mode you might get 8 hrs.
But I don't use suspend mode, I just change batteries when needed.
The longest use I have gotten from any batteries was 6 to 7 hours using Energizer lithium AAs.
Duracell were the best alkalines I tested.
I found the Radio Shack brand were not very good.

I'll get 3 to 4 hours out of good alkalines or Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables.

Of course battery use is totally dependent on how you use the unit and temperature.
Take some pictures, record some voice memos, do some turn x turn directions, leave the backlight on, look for some geocaches, in other words if you actually do anything you will use up the batteries.

There is nothing anyone can do about this, any and all devices that do the things these units do have the same battery usage issue.

November 23, 2011
4:11 pm
ki4amd
Members
4607sp_Permalink sp_Print

The batteries don't last long. I haven't done a real scientific study on it, but even if I'm using suspend mode pretty heavily, it will polish off a pair in less than eight hours. I've also observed the power off bleed-down. I have resigned to grabbing a new set of batteries every time I get the GPS out after more than a few weeks on the shelf.

Battery terminals are clean. The first time I observed the bad shut-down I was operating on Kroger brand batteries (definitely not high-quality). I started using Enercell (Radio Shack brand). In the past Radio-Shack brand batteries have always performed well for me and they tend to be less expensive than Energizer or Duracell. Before I turn it over to Magellan, I'll try it with Lithium batteries. If it does this with Lithium batteries there is definitely a problem.

November 17, 2011
6:23 pm
phild31
Members
4591sp_Permalink sp_Print

My 710 did this a few times.
I seem to have been using too much memory on the internal memory.
When I put all my maps and images on the SD card it never happened again.

One other thing to check - the 'Media'> 'images'> 'Geocaches' file will not be deleted when I load a whole new set of geocaches.
It grew and grew to be a huge file!
Whenever I'm deleting or changing all my geocache files I always go to the
'Media'> 'images'> 'Geocaches' file first and clear it before I load anything else.

November 17, 2011
5:40 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
4590sp_Permalink sp_Print

ki4amd wrote:

Once she's gotten into this pattern I have to get external power to get her out because she tries to calculate the route immediately on start-up.

I have not had my 710 die like that.

If the unit is in vehicle profile (turn-by-turn) and goto (route) is still set from when the unit was last on. The unit on start calculating the turn-by-turn route as soon as it is turned on again.

Graham.

November 17, 2011
5:40 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
4589sp_Permalink sp_Print

ki4amd wrote:

Once she's gotten into this pattern I have to get external power to get her out because she tries to calculate the route immediately on start-up.

I have not had my 710 die like that.

If the unit is in vehicle profile (turn-by-turn) and goto (route) is still set from when the unit was last on. The unit on start calculating the turn-by-turn route as soon as it is turned on again.

Graham.

November 17, 2011
3:04 pm
Brent Owen
Members
Forum Posts: 56
4588sp_Permalink sp_Print

This has happened to me when I had no batteries and was running off of external power in the car. My thought was that the cheap USB power device I had did not have enough current to do the job when the GPS was calculating the route and talking to me. I never run it without batteries in it now because my first 710 got corrupted somehow when I took the batteries out of it while it was running.

Try the following: Make sure the battery terminals are clean and making good contact. Try different alkaline batteries (shot in the dark, maybe they are not that good). Try rechargeable batteries.

Most likely you are using good brand name batteries, and your terminals are clean so I am not being very helpful.

How long does your GPS run on alkaline batteries? I am wondering if it draws too much current and is faulty. You may have to send it in for service/replacement.

November 17, 2011
2:15 pm
ki4amd
Members

When I was shopping for my Explorist I think I saw a review by an owner whose complaint I remembered when mine first did this about a month ago. When I'm in vehicle mode, navigating by turn-by-turn with alkaline batteries (haven't tested lithium yet) the 710 just DIES when the voice starts to say either "calculating route" or "proceed to the highlighted route." I'm not sure which she's saying because when it dies the voice is cut off abruptly in a couple of scratches and squeaks. It's behaving as if the batteries were removed at the instant I tried to calculate the route. It works fine on external power. I do have the battery type option set to Alkaline when this happens. This also happens with fresh batteries. I've also tried lying to it and saying they're rechargeable, but that doesn't help. Once she's gotten into this pattern I have to get external power to get her out because she tries to calculate the route immediately on start-up.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 10
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply