New Explorist 610 User | Starting Out Questions or Suggestions | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
New Explorist 610 User
Distances to waypoint coordinates I manually entered are incorrect
March 26, 2014
8:55 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 284
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Without being insulting, please go on the Internet and find out the difference between degree minute second .. degree decimal etc.   Your LAT/LON is set wrong for these coordinates.   N 39 degrees setting you are referring to are not in degree minutes seconds.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

March 26, 2014
8:35 am
newarkgin
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Thanks for the advice.  The GPS coords I'm looking for are written N 39○ 43.653

W 075○ 40.993, and my Explorist 610 is set for Lat/Long, deg/min/sec.  It is also set for WGS84.  I changed it from "magnetic" north to "true north"; it was already at "1". I recalibrated the compass successfully, but everything is still showing up as too far away.

March 24, 2014
4:14 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 284

We find that in most of these cases that the coordinates of the information DO NOT MATCH the specifications of the maps.

When you set the coordinates please make sure that you consider the following parameters.

1) It appears that you may have just selected LAT/LON but did not drill down and set which LAT/LON.  You will have to choose the same coordinates as the data.  For example is it Degrees + Minutes + Seconds or Decimal Degrees or Degrees + Decimal Minutes or UTM.

2) Make sure that you set the datum at WGC84 as this was used to construct the Magellan maps, also set for True North at 1 Meter.

That should do it.

Now tell us if this solved the problem.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

March 24, 2014
3:26 pm
newarkgin
Members
Forum Posts: 2

I am ultra new to geocaching. We were able to find one geocache with our Garmin nuvi but realized it was not suited for use out of the car and purchased an Explorist 610. Finally figured out how to manually enter a Waypoint, give it a name, put in coordinates and save it.  The problem is that the unit says the Waypoints are all about 25 miles away when I know they are really about 9 miles away...the map view shows all these coordinates on the other side of the Delaware River.  I know the coords were entered as Long/Lat, and I checked that the device is also set to Long/Lat. I have combed through the manual and the internet but can't figure out what is wrong. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1268

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 996

Newest Members:

Richardfub, tolikkk, Ramonavete, koopdog, MichaelSuh, nifroteri, DennSix, Ernestacuth, zenTeall, Olgasnurf

Administrators: JungleGhost: 284, Mike: 25

Comments

New Explorist 610 User | Starting Out Questions or Suggestions | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply