Firmware Update 510 | Software Issues | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Firmware Update 510
Problem with firmware update Explorist 510 from 7.13 to 7.24
January 19, 2015
9:03 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Members please refresh your memories with my article.

"WARNING: Newly issued X10's are creating iBoot errors" found in the BUGS section of this forum.

We can assure you that the iBoot error cannot be repaired.  In fact, just noticed an eBay ad selling an iBoot unit.  Bidding at this time was $47.99 today 1/19/15 at 09:00 hrs. EST.

I hope that the purchasers did not think that they could fix this unit.

JG

PS. We just put up a Factory New 610 for sale on eBay.  If anyone is interested we can also change the offering to include the full set of Australian/New Zealand Summit and City Maps in place of the North American maps.  S&H would be $40.40 USD.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

January 19, 2015
2:19 am
Nexus
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Just bought a 510. Bricked it 10 minutes after opening the box.

Also an Australian unit from Dick Smith. It's going back to the shop for a refund. Even if Magellan replace the unit I'm not impressed with the obviously poor testing and QC.

It's a shame as they are giving away the AU topo maps at the moment, but I'm not going to spend $250 on a POS.

January 16, 2015
7:21 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286

Kezza,

You are not alone.  First let me say that Magellan CANNOT REPAIR AN iBOOT error.  They can only replace the motherboard with the correct project number firmware version installed.

The project number and the associated firmware presently on our Website and Magellan's can update these units.

Secondly, NEVER USE VANTAGE POINT TO UPDATE FIRMWARE.  Only use the software both on our website and Magellan's to do FORCED UPDATE.

We are very familiar with the iBOOT problem and Magellan has agreed to replace these bad units, "no questions asked".

Apparently they shipped a larger number of these units to dealers around the World.  We are aware of one case, in which a customer returned not only one unit, but also two replacements by the dealer and all succumbed to the iBOOT failure when attempts to upgrade them failed.

One customer whose messages are posted on this forum even used the FORCED UPDATE software from our good sources and the unit failed.

The dealers then returned all their stock to Magellan.

In conclusion: If a dealer wants to replace your unit .. TELL HIM FIRST HE MUST UPDATE THE REPLACEMENT TO THE LATEST VERSION.   IF STATES THE UNIT HAS THE LATEST VERSION INSTALLED THEN TELL HIM TO REINSTALL IT AGAIN.  THIS WILL INSURE YOU THAT THE REPLACEMENT IS "GOOD TO GO!".

We have received many, many iBOOT failure Printed Circuit Boards from Magellan and we cannot fix them and neither can anyone in the World including our friends in the Germany and Australia.

This problem is not solvable and if Magellan took some unbranded units and put the wrong project number software on the unit and shipped them .. then all these units will not work.

I am so sorry that Magellan messed up and created this scenario because it has poisoned so many sales of the good X10 units.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

January 16, 2015
4:56 pm
kezzajohnson
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Hi,

I have just experienced the same problem having recently purchased an explorist 510 in Cairns. After downloading Vantage point and plugging the GPS into the computer, I was prompted to update the firmware to version 7.24 which I proceeded to do. Following the instructions to the letter, after resetting the GPS to update the firmware, I got the blue screen reading:

updating image...

This is Iboot fail

please wait for the proced

After an email to Magellan support, they replied to me and admitted that the software is already corrupted and that the unit could only be repaired by them. They suggested that since it was still within the 14 days of purchase that I may return to the place of purchase for exchange.

After exchanging the unit at place of purchase (done gracefully so), I sent a further email to magellan support to ask if there was a non corrupt update available or would I be best leaving it as is.

Magellan replied saying there was a firmware upgrade available on their website and they provide the link.

I then attempted to update the new (2nd) exchanged unit using their provided link and got the same thing. Blue screen - Iboot fail...

I really like the features and useability of the model but clearly, there is an issue here and I have been put off the model altogether now and don't want to get on the same roundabout as the previous poster here. I am taking it back in the the place of purchase this morning to seek a refund and will be looking around for something else.Frown

July 11, 2014
11:22 am
jgtechsupport
Members
Forum Posts: 20

M,

In my professional opinion, the unit sent to you from Magellan as a replacement should have the latest firmware version and a set of the Australia/New Zealand Maps.

I would take the unit to the Dealer and have them update the firmware and see if it blows up.

My point is that the unit has to be tested with the new firmware and it should work.  Since the unit has a different serial number it should be loaded with the maps so that the you know that they are compatible.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. Contact: SKYPE ID: edosan_go.

July 11, 2014
1:59 am
miaramra
Members
Forum Posts: 8

miaramra said

jgtechsupport said
M,

Thank you for the update.   We have worked so long on Magellan Explorists that my software team should be part of the MITAC.

We know exactly how the problem was created. They would have to Unbrand the unit and reinstall the BIOS.

Someone in production either used the wrong component or branded the unit with the wrong project software.

It is a shame that Dick Smith's group cannot arrange for you to receive from Magellan a "gratis" load of the complete Australia/New Zealand Summit and City Maps on a 8GB MicroSDHC card.

This would be a great gesture of support from Magellan and Dick Smith.

Again, thank you for your messages, I am sure that our members appreciate the wealth of information on these faulty units.

JG

Thanks once again for your reply and advice. I wish I knew more about where you fit in this support maze. I have talked extensively with the Australian Magellan support centre and the option of sending me Australia/New Zealand Summit and City Maps on a 8GB MicroSDHC card was never mentioned. You seem to know more about the device the local support group.Anyway, the unit is to picked up on Monday and returned to Magellan. An estimated 10 day turn around and I should have it back mid July. I hope this is not the norm for every firmware update from hereon.Confused

The saga continues. Below is my email to Magellan support. I returned my 4th faulty unit to them as requested and arranged. A week later a received a brand new unit.

"

Devy and Gilmoore,

I returned the fault unit for repairs as requested by your company. Today 11/07/2014 I received a new unit in a swap-out-arrangement.
The unit is loaded with SW Vers: 7.13
My original problem was caused by trying to update that version (7.13) to the next higher version. Why would you send me a brand new unit with the same old firmware? Now I'm  left with the same problem that I had a month ago? Do I update? Do I not? 
If I do, will it be work or will it not? The serial number of the device you sent me is very similar to the faulty units I returned to the retailers.
I requested and expected technical support from your company. I could have achieved the same outcome in a shorter period of time by swapping the faulty device at the retailer......for the 4th time.
So far, disappointed and disillusioned with Magellan.Yell
June 27, 2014
8:41 am
miaramra
Members

jgtechsupport said
M,

Thank you for the update.   We have worked so long on Magellan Explorists that my software team should be part of the MITAC.

We know exactly how the problem was created. They would have to Unbrand the unit and reinstall the BIOS.

Someone in production either used the wrong component or branded the unit with the wrong project software.

It is a shame that Dick Smith's group cannot arrange for you to receive from Magellan a "gratis" load of the complete Australia/New Zealand Summit and City Maps on a 8GB MicroSDHC card.

Again, thank you for your messages, I am sure that our members appreciate the wealth of information on these faulty units.

JG

Thanks once again for your reply and advice. I wish I knew more about where you fit in this support maze. I have talked extensively with the Australian Magellan support centre and the option of sending me Australia/New Zealand Summit and City Maps on a 8GB MicroSDHC card was never mentioned. You seem to know more about the device the local support group.Anyway, the unit is to picked up on Monday and returned to Magellan. An estimated 10 day turn around and I should have it back mid July. I hope this is not the norm for every firmware update from hereon.Confused

June 27, 2014
7:41 am
jgtechsupport
Members

M,

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. Contact: SKYPE ID: edosan_go.

June 27, 2014
3:02 am
miaramra
Members

I am now waiting for my third unit to be collected from me and returned to Magellan for repair.

As suggested, downloaded the tested patch from "website at http://www.jungleghost.com/Exp…..t_7_24.exe -" and once again all went well until the device rebooted. The message is slightly different " Update failed. Please Cold Start and try again". I hold down the power button the unit starts up again,  a progress bar at the bottom counts up to  100% and ends with "Update failed. Please Cold Start and try again". Around and around it goes.

Magellan support concedes that Dick Smith the reseller may have a faulty batch. I have replaced the previous faulty units with replacements from different outlets of the same store. So, now it's headed back for repairs and I haven't officially used it yet, two weeks of screwing around with a firmware update......disappointing introdution to the world og Magellan Explorists

June 21, 2014
8:48 am
miaramra
Members

Hi There,

jgtechsupport said

miaramra said

jgtechsupport said
M,

miaramra said

jgtechsupport said

miaramra said
Thanks for your advice. I will contact Magellan in Australia for further info.

jgtechsupport

M,

Yours is the second new 510 reported to us in one week that went into the iBoot mode when updated.

Please tell us the seller in Australia that you purchased the unit from.

JG

The seller is Dick Smith Electronics. I am about to return the unit to them and collect a replacement on advice from Magellan Support in Australia. I don't think I wil attempt the firmware upgrade this time.

M,

Please do not be afraid of the update.  You have to make sure that the GPS is working properly.  Just remember to always use FRESH AA batteries in the unit when you do the update.

Also NEVER USE VANTAGE POINT to do the updates.

Always use the FORCED UPDATE method .. meaning that you go to the http://www.magellangps.com website and DOWNLOAD the latest software update from their site directly.

If you are using VantagePoint to tell you when to do an update, please cancel this feature.  Just go to the bottom of your computer and right click on the VPLITE icon .. uncheck the start up command and then quit out.

This way VP will never lure you into using it as the update software.

JG

I picked up my replacement 510. I couldn't resist attempting the update again. I say it now, it was before reading the the reply above. My very first attempt was with Vantage Point. The update was downloaded using VP. So, on my second attempt I used that same file (no VP involved this time) and ALAS!! I now have the same problem---another paper weight. I am returning the device once more and seeking a refund.

If I knew for sure what the problem is and that it would not happen again I would consider a third attempt but this is getting embarrassing for all concerned. I am getting no feed back from Magellan.

M,

There are two possibilities. One, (the most likely) is that the dealer has inventory of bad units.  He can tell by the serial numbers as the sequence should be close to one another.  We know that a dealer in NYC (17th Street Photo) also had a bad batch of 510's that gave the same problem.

Second possibility is (the least likely) that the file you downloaded was corrupted with a bad internal file.  We have a tested Forced Update files on our website at http://www.jungleghost.com/Exp.....t_7_24.exe

In Conclusion, ask your dealer to do an update to prove that the batch of units he purchased were not a problem.   You are doing him a favor as if the batch is bad, he should be returning all the units to the distributor.

However; also warning him that if the batch is bad he will get the "iBoot" and if the update file was corrupt. The Magellan is at fault.

Let us know what happens.

JG

Hello again. I have the third GPS now and I have so far resisted the attempt to update the firmware. In agreement with the support rep here in Australia I will run the update when he gets back to me with an all clear. He is currently  researching the situation.

I will let you know how it pans out.

June 20, 2014
8:55 am
jgtechsupport
Members

miaramra said

jgtechsupport said
M,

miaramra said

jgtechsupport said

miaramra said

jgtechsupport

M,

Yours is the second new 510 reported to us in one week that went into the iBoot mode when updated.

JG

The seller is Dick Smith Electronics. I am about to return the unit to them and collect a replacement on advice from Magellan Support in Australia. I don't think I wil attempt the firmware upgrade this time.

M,

Please do not be afraid of the update.  You have to make sure that the GPS is working properly.  Just remember to always use FRESH AA batteries in the unit when you do the update.

Always use the FORCED UPDATE method .. meaning that you go to the http://www.magellangps.com website and DOWNLOAD the latest software update from their site directly.

If you are using VantagePoint to tell you when to do an update, please cancel this feature.  Just go to the bottom of your computer and right click on the VPLITE icon .. uncheck the start up command and then quit out.

JG

I picked up my replacement 510. I couldn't resist attempting the update again. I say it now, it was before reading the the reply above. My very first attempt was with Vantage Point. The update was downloaded using VP. So, on my second attempt I used that same file (no VP involved this time) and ALAS!! I now have the same problem---another paper weight. I am returning the device once more and seeking a refund.

If I knew for sure what the problem is and that it would not happen again I would consider a third attempt but this is getting embarrassing for all concerned. I am getting no feed back from Magellan.

M,

There are two possibilities. One, (the most likely) is that the dealer has inventory of bad units.  He can tell by the serial numbers as the sequence should be close to one another.  We know that a dealer in NYC (17th Street Photo) also had a bad batch of 510's that gave the same problem.

Second possibility is (the least likely) that the file you downloaded was corrupted with a bad internal file.  We have a tested Forced Update files on our website at http://www.jungleghost.com/Exp.....t_7_24.exe

In Conclusion, ask your dealer to do an update to prove that the batch of units he purchased were not a problem.   You are doing him a favor as if the batch is bad, he should be returning all the units to the distributor.

However; also warning him that if the batch is bad he will get the "iBoot" and if the update file was corrupt. The Magellan is at fault.

Let us know what happens.

JG

June 19, 2014
8:37 pm
miaramra
Members

jgtechsupport said
M,

miaramra said

jgtechsupport said

miaramra said

jgtechsupport

M,

JG

M,

JG

June 19, 2014
11:29 am
jgtechsupport
Members

M,

miaramra said

jgtechsupport said

miaramra said

jgtechsupport

M,

JG

M,

JG

June 18, 2014
11:32 pm
miaramra
Members

jgtechsupport said

miaramra said

jgtechsupport

M,

JG

June 18, 2014
9:48 pm
jgtechsupport
Members

miaramra said

jgtechsupport

M,

JG

June 18, 2014
2:41 pm
miaramra
Members

jgtechsupport
June 18, 2014
9:53 am
jgtechsupport
Members

M,

Please return to whomever you purchased this unit from.  You can also call Magellan for a replacement.

You have an "iBoot" error.  It is not reparable.

JG

June 18, 2014
8:43 am
miaramra
Members

I'm brand new at this with a brand new GPS explorist 510. I've been following the advice on updating the firmware to the letter. All went well until the unit restarted and now I have a blue screen with

Updating Image......

NOTE: this is Iboot fail

Please wait for the proced (that's all I can read on screen)

The display has been stuck this way about 30mins.

Is this normal? Do I have a serious problem?

A message at the beginning said not to disturb the unit during update process. Do I just leave it? Will the battery run flat before something happens?

HELP!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1355

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

YmpoRefT, Davidutere, Merrilldak, maskisa, AbanaTut, Nicanor89Mef, NancyGuine, JoeyGluse, Robertsop, Gregoryedura

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

Firmware Update 510 | Software Issues | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply