(3) Explorist GC units won't download info | GC 110 310 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
(3) Explorist GC units won't download info
Help with software installation
October 15, 2017
8:02 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

n2jve said
Mike,

One more question. Can you download Vantage Point onto Windows 10??

Mike A.  N2JVE  

Never tried it.  

Mike

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

October 14, 2017
6:22 pm
n2jve
Members
Forum Posts: 9

Mike,

One more question. Can you download Vantage Point onto Windows 10??

Mike A.  N2JVE

October 8, 2017
9:14 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

n2jve said
Hi Mike

Well finally Success. I feel so stupid on something simple. I guess my problem that I was reading into everything and figuring that I had to open another window for Geocaching.com instead of just clicking on the Geocach on the tool bar then click on the map to save the caches into the folder. Thank you Sir so very much for putting up with me and taking your time to work with me. I was stuck on stupid with the old way of downloading.

Mike N2JVE  

Mike,

Happens to all of us.  We tried to outguess the programmer and make a false assumption that they set up a procedure a certain way.

Happy to help.

Take Care!!

Mike

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

October 7, 2017
6:45 pm
n2jve
Members

Hi Mike

Well finally Success. I feel so stupid on something simple. I guess my problem that I was reading into everything and figuring that I had to open another window for Geocaching.com instead of just clicking on the Geocach on the tool bar then click on the map to save the caches into the folder. Thank you Sir so very much for putting up with me and taking your time to work with me. I was stuck on stupid with the old way of downloading.

Mike N2JVE

October 6, 2017
1:14 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

Mike,

Lets go through this step by step.

Please uninstall Magellan Communicator as it is not necessary for this to work.

This is the method for download a huge amount of Geocaches from geocaches.com

The Magellan Outdoor PC application VantagePoint has the ability to view and download Geocaches from http://www.gecaching.com to your PC and GPS. Simply download both the VantagePoint application and install on your PC

Follow the steps below to download a Geocache to your GPS and tell me at what step the process fails.

1. Open up the VantagePoint (VP) application and Select the Geocache icon in the top tool bar as a result there will be a drop down menu select "Geocaching Live"
  2. After selecting Geocaching Live, a log in window will appear with the option to log in or create account
  3. Next a disclaimer indicating that Magellan is using your credentials to log in to geocaching .com for you select "allow access"
  4. Once you have logged in streaming Geocaches from http://www.geocaching.com will appear on the map at 1:50000 scale or lower zoom in right click a Geocache you want saved to and select "save to my cache collection"
  5. Next click on the top right Exchange icon and click on My Cache Collection.  Choose the Geocaches you which to export and then choose the GPX format.  VP will now allow you to save ALL your choices.

If you get to step 5 you can just transfer the geocaches to the GC.

Mike

October 6, 2017
12:59 pm
n2jve
Members

Hey Mike,

Well here we go again.  I am running windows 7 home premium  SP-1 ,32 bit , intel core cpu u3500 @1.40 GHz, 2.00GB of ram > I started to follow directions that you sent on the other day and well already ran into a problem. I went to download Communicator Version 115.exe from Jungleghost.com  and seems like it starts to download and then about 2 mins into it I get a window saying do you want to completely uninstall  the program and I click NO then another window comes up and says that the download was interrupted and nothing was changed.  I tried with the GPS connected to the laptop and turned on and not connected with the same results. I also tried 114. exe as well with the same results. I am at my wits end with this thing and getting very frustrated. I have been messing with these for at least 4 months if not more. I have 3 of these Explorist GC and they are Version 1.8 The Vantage Point does see the GPS as it shows me the Serial number of each unit.  Any other ideas or clues???  OK another thing if it makes a difference, I am a basic member only of Geocaching.com

Mike   N2JVE

October 5, 2017
12:20 pm
n2jve
Members

Thanks Mike for all the help. I don't have time right now today but I will mess with it hopefully tomorrow.  Of course if I need a hand again I will message on here. Again, Thanks!!!!!

Mike   N2JVE

October 3, 2017
10:54 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

n2jve said
Thanks Mike for the link. It did help somewhat but how do you go about transfering a gpx file from geocaching.com to  the folder that I am using? I tried copy and paste but it said wrong format. Sorry about the stupid questions. I just don't have a clue on Vantage Point. I use to be able just to download right from geocaching website what I wanted without any issues.  Are all geocaching GPS's a pain to program caches in???

Mike  N2JVE  

Mike,

Try these methods...

How do I Download a List of Geocaches from http://www.Geocaching.com to my GPS using VantagePoint?

NOTE: This approach will also work with a list of Waypoints from a reliable download source.  Please also make sure that you have also download the Magellan Communication Version 115.exe from our http://www.jungleghost.com website and the latest VantagePoint.

This is the method for download a huge amount of Geocaches from geocaches.com

The Magellan Outdoor PC application VantagePoint has the ability to view and download Geocaches from http://www.gecaching.com to your PC and GPS. Simply download both the VantagePoint and Magellan Communication application(s) and install on your PC, select a Geocache from the map screen then save and upload it to your GPS. Follow the steps below to download a Geocache to your GPS

1. Open up the VantagePoint (VP) application and Select the Geocache icon in the top tool bar as a result there will be a drop down menu select "Geocaching Live"
  2. After selecting Geocaching Live, a log in window will appear with the option to log in or create account
  3. Next a disclaimer indicating that Magellan is using your credentials to log in to geocaching .com for you select "allow access"
  4. Once you have logged in streaming Geocaches from http://www.geocaching.com will appear on the map at 1:50000 scale or lower zoom in right click a Geocache you want saved to and select "save to my cache collection"
  5. Next click on the top right Exchange icon and click on My Cache Collection.  Choose the Geocaches you which to export and then choose the GPX format.  VP will now allow you to save ALL your choices. 
  6. You have two choices directly to the GPS or under "one program file" with a GPX extension to your PC. 

NOTE: To view all Geocaches saved to "my Cache Collection" click onto my journal and then click onto the + symbol near Geocaches (refer to image below) to expand information and you will see you Geocaches saved from http://www.geocaching.com to your PC
NOTE 2: Free basic Geocaching membership allows you to download up to 3 Geocaches a day with detailed hint information. Premium paid membership allows you to download up to 6000 Geocaches a day

This is the method for Importing Geocaches and/Waypoints from a Memory Card to your GPS

Go to the main menu, Geocaches or Waypoints, bottom right of the menu, scroll down to IMPORT and select the .gpx file(s) on Your SD card and transfer.

Mike

October 3, 2017
10:23 am
n2jve
Members

n2jve said
Thanks Mike for the link. It did help somewhat but how do you go about transfering a gpx file from geocaching.com to  the folder that I am using? I tried copy and paste but it said wrong format. Sorry about the stupid questions. I just don't have a clue on Vantage Point. I use to be able just to download right from geocaching website what I wanted without any issues.  Are all geocaching GPS's a pain to program caches in???

Mike  N2JVE  

by the way I am using Vantage Point Version 2.43

October 3, 2017
10:19 am
n2jve
Members

Mike  N2JVE

October 2, 2017
4:06 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

n2jve said
OK here we go again.

I forgot I had a laptop with Windows 7 in it. Anyways. I went as suggested to use Magellan Communicator 114.exe from your website. I downloaded it had the explorist gc GPS turned on and connected to laptop. Pushed setup and it looks like its downloading and after I would say 3 mins or so I get a window coming up if I want to completely  uninstall communicator . When I cllick NO another window comes up and says that communicator install has been interrupted and no changes were made.  I am using Windows 7 home edition SP1, 32 bit. I also tried 115.exe with the same results  I tried with 3 different Explorist GC GPS  V1.8 and nothing. What am I doing wrong???

Mike  N2JVE

Niverville,N.Y.  

Hi Mike,

Did you review the youtube article on this subject?  You need to do the transfer between geocache.com to VantagePoint and then connect the GC to the PC and do the actual transfer of the GPX files.

Check this URL out.

Mike NX5B

October 2, 2017
11:16 am
n2jve
Members

OK here we go again.

I forgot I had a laptop with Windows 7 in it. Anyways. I went as suggested to use Magellan Communicator 114.exe from your website. I downloaded it had the explorist gc GPS turned on and connected to laptop. Pushed setup and it looks like its downloading and after I would say 3 mins or so I get a window coming up if I want to completely  uninstall communicator . When I cllick NO another window comes up and says that communicator install has been interrupted and no changes were made.  I am using Windows 7 home edition SP1, 32 bit. I also tried 115.exe with the same results  I tried with 3 different Explorist GC GPS  V1.8 and nothing. What am I doing wrong???

Mike  N2JVE

Niverville,N.Y.

August 16, 2017
1:05 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

n2jve said
Hi Mike,

I'm so sorry I forgot to put that info in:

Version 1.8

OS is Windows 10 Home  x64

the source of the cache files are from Geocaching.com

Well the software that worked was taken out of the PC figuring there was a conflict with the newer software I was trying to install Magellan Communicator 115   V14.0.0.162 It installed today but I get a file explorer window come up  and when I click on a cache to download , I get the window that says Send To GPS  but also says communicator not found . I searched in MY Computer in Program files X86 and its there.  There are 9 .dll files .  I hope this help Mike. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks so much for the assist!!!!

Mike N2JVE  

Mike,

First of all Windows Communicator 115 was released on 01/24/2012 and does not list Win10 as compatible.  Last O.S. checked out was Win7

We have some older releases on the http://www.jungleghost.com website.  You might want to try Version 1.14.  This is on the website.

I am not familiar with using the Communication problem as I always download my caches from geocaching, scrub them and let VantagePoint load them.

Also it appears to me that the GPS may not be attached and your VP is not uptodate.  Please reinstall the Communicator with the GPS ON and attached and VantagePoint fired up.  I do believe that a some was wrong with the setup of the Communicator.

JG  NX5B

August 16, 2017
10:37 am
n2jve
Members

Hi Mike,

I'm so sorry I forgot to put that info in:

Version 1.8

OS is Windows 10 Home  x64

the source of the cache files are from Geocaching.com

Well the software that worked was taken out of the PC figuring there was a conflict with the newer software I was trying to install Magellan Communicator 115   V14.0.0.162 It installed today but I get a file explorer window come up  and when I click on a cache to download , I get the window that says Send To GPS  but also says communicator not found . I searched in MY Computer in Program files X86 and its there.  There are 9 .dll files .  I hope this help Mike. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks so much for the assist!!!!

Mike N2JVE

August 15, 2017
1:32 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

Mike,

It would help us a great deal.  If you would inform us of the Operating System of the PC.

Also these questions:

1) The firmware version of each of the three GC units?

2) The source of the cache files?

3) The software you are using to transfer the cache files to the GPS.

Problem appears to be a software problem.. but we need additional information to make an intelligence decision.

Mike

August 15, 2017
12:19 pm
n2jve
Members

Hi All,

Thanks for reading. I have been trying for quite a while now to get my (3)  Explorist GC GPS's  to download local Geocaches with no luck.  According to Magellan help line I am doing everything right. try to update  the software and I think that the firmware is correct as well ( gave up on it about 4 months ago) When I try to download the software it uninstalls itself.  Never seen anything like it before.  My PC sees the GPS as a mass storage unit. and sends my PC to a file window. Did all the tricks Magellan suggested with no luck.  I am using the same PC that I used to program the GPS's up when I got them.Can someone steer me in the right direction. It's been very frustrating as I got almost $300 invested into them and can't even use them . My family was looking forward to geocaching when we go out to Cape Cod this Friday.  Thanks in advance to your responses back.

Mike   N2JVE

Niverville, New York

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1338

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

Swadswen, KerentO, RobertExelf, DoorvanS, SormatsV, sabercycle, NotrodW, FornetC, timurbib, Ordent

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

(3) Explorist GC units won't download info | GC 110 310 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply