2 eXploristGCs that won't start up | GC 110 310 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2 eXploristGCs that won't start up
resets don't work, can't get into disk mode
March 25, 2015
2:50 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 284
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you can not find your backup files, give me a shout, I'll upload something somewhere...

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ
March 25, 2015
8:41 am
Mike
Admin
Forum Posts: 25

recipefordisaster said
Got it, I will save these directions. I did not find my recovery files so that makes things difficult(who would think my whole spare unit would go at the same time?!); also, I haven't gotten them to show up on my computer so I'm hoping something can be done about that. I do get an interactive menu with them but I don't know what to do next as they don't show up on the computer. I assume mass storage is the right selection but that isn't an option on the one running 1.0.

recipe,  let me check to make sure that these are the present conditions on both units.

On the 2.15 unit and 1.0 unit you should be able to execute a simultaneous up arrow, depress menu button and power (with the usb cable attached to the PC) and do a link up?

I am assuming that you have a PC utilizing Windows, Vista, Win7 or 8.  If you have this link up ..you should see the MAGELLAN Virtual Drive? 

The assumption is that if you can do this maneuver you do not need the service menu.

Now as for your PC .. do a file search *.mgi and see if you can file the internal file for the GC.  This would help you find the folder you loaded your backup files into your PC.

Mike

Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) is located in Wayne, NJ, USA. JGE was created in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

March 24, 2015
7:31 pm
recipefordisaster
Members
Forum Posts: 6

Got it, I will save these directions. I did not find my recovery files so that makes things difficult(who would think my whole spare unit would go at the same time?!); also, I haven't gotten them to show up on my computer so I'm hoping something can be done about that. I do get an interactive menu with them but I don't know what to do next as they don't show up on the computer. I assume mass storage is the right selection but that isn't an option on the one running 1.0.

March 24, 2015
12:07 pm
Mike
Admin

recipefordisaster said
Thanks. I did have the backup of the 2.15 Magellan but I don't see it in my hard drive backups-I may not have remembered to back that up(probably thinking I could share software from one to the other). If someone can share it I would be very grateful. Or, is the 310 software an option to restore these?

What should I be doing with the units if I get them to show up on my computer(and is there a better way to make that happen)? Mass storage was what I was told, and as I said that isn't an option on the one running 1.0 so I don't know what I should select on that one. Any options if I can't get another copy of the software?

Recipe, Watch out because if you find the backup copy of the 2.15 .. you are going to use this copy as your Master Copy.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT ERASE THE /MAP DIRECTORY in the 2.15 as this map and the map on the 1.0 are serialized to match the GPS they reside upon.

So here are your instructions:  

Attach the 2.15 GPS using your USB cable to the PC.  Go into the Magellan Virtual Drive and erase all directories  EXCEPT the /MAP directory.  Then copy all the backup 2.15 files to the GC but not the /MAP directory.  Then do another install of the 2.15 Magellan update.

Likely for the 1.0 attach the 1.0 GPS using your USB cable to the PC.  Go into the Magellan Virtual Drive and erase all directories  EXCEPT the /MAP directory.  Then copy all the backup 2.15 files to the GC (Yes .. I said "2.15" files) EXCEPT the /MAP directory. Then do an update install of the 2.15 Magellan update.

Now you have two units with 2.15 ..

Mike

Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) is located in Wayne, NJ, USA. JGE was created in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

March 24, 2015
11:26 am
recipefordisaster
Members

Thanks. I did have the backup of the 2.15 Magellan but I don't see it in my hard drive backups-I may not have remembered to back that up(probably thinking I could share software from one to the other). If someone can share it I would be very grateful. Or, is the 310 software an option to restore these?

What should I be doing with the units if I get them to show up on my computer(and is there a better way to make that happen)? Mass storage was what I was told, and as I said that isn't an option on the one running 1.0 so I don't know what I should select on that one. Any options if I can't get another copy of the software?

March 24, 2015
10:33 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 289

recipefordisaster said
New progress-I can move the joystick in the service menu and I got the 2.15 one to come up in mass storage. I emptied the PQs off it(waypoints too)and emptied my trash. The other doesn't have mass storage as an option and I tried update-it says "download from USB" but it doesn't show up on my computer.

Now the 2.15 one seems to freeze when loading the service menu and I can't get it to show up on my computer again, even though it's now empty.

Here is the main problem.  You are trying to do a service fix without any advise from those who do this for a living. S!G is one of the few people who have this capability.

The answer to your dilemma is to replace the entire software in the unit with a dump from a good GC.

We have advised countless times on this board for members to ALWAYS dump the contents of their Magellan Explorist onto their PC as a backup.

If you have not done this then you have to hope that a member can provide you with a copy.

If you cannot attach either unit to the PC as previous discussed then your units cannot be re-flashed because the USB trans files have been corrupted.

Mike

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

March 24, 2015
9:06 am
recipefordisaster
Members

New progress-I can move the joystick in the service menu and I got the 2.15 one to come up in mass storage. I emptied the PQs off it(waypoints too)and emptied my trash. The other doesn't have mass storage as an option and I tried update-it says "download from USB" but it doesn't show up on my computer.

Now the 2.15 one seems to freeze when loading the service menu and I can't get it to show up on my computer again, even though it's now empty.

March 24, 2015
8:51 am
recipefordisaster
Members

Thank you. I'm on my second cable and am going direct, not through a hub. I just tried again and I can get to the service menu but not navigate it on the unit, and they don't show up on my computer. If I can get them going I may upgrade, although my primary unit is a Garmin now(after years of loyalty to Magellan)-I've had too many issues to count on these units. I use them as backups and to hold out of town geocaches.

I also tried left joystick in the  first test on the 2.15 unit as I read that the procedure had changed-no joy.

March 24, 2015
8:41 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 284

Let me jump in: Try to use different USB cable and make sure, you don't use a USB HUB.

You should be able to interact with the GC, if you could reach a service menu. The service menu is only availeable with the USB cable connected.

If you can reactivate the eXplorists, you may want to install the 310 software? If so, you should know, that this option exists.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ
March 23, 2015
9:24 pm
recipefordisaster
Members

Thanks. It is definitely not related to PQs as the one running 1.0 doesn't even contain any, the other hasn't had any changes made to its PQs since the last several times it was successfully used(those PQs also work fine on my Garmin). I haven't even updated those, and when I have over the past several years, they have been the same PQs just a newer version. I don't use VP but simply drag .gpx files onto the unit.

Test #1 doesn't work-that's what I tried.

Test #2 gives me the service menu, but the joystick doesn't navigate between fields so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get it to show up on my computer as a removable disk. The 2 units have slightly different options on this screen but I can't seem to change anything on either.

March 23, 2015
7:07 pm
Mike
Admin

Apparently there seems to be something wrong in the procedure you are using to create PQ's.

Now to address the possibility to repair both units. 

Try these two tests ..

Test #1, load new batteries into the unit.  Connect it to the PC. Then press simultaneously the up arrow, menu button and power button.  If the unit connects to the PC and creates a Virtual Drive on the PC named Magellan these units can be repaired.  If not, try Test #2

Test#2 With the USB cable attached to the PC, press the back, menu buttons and power button.   This will produce the SERVICE MENU.   Go do the menu and try to connect to the PC.  Again this maneuver should create a Virtual Magellan Drive on the PC.

If you can get to the PC you can repair the unit.  If not, the USB software has been corrupted and the units are bricks.

Good Luck Smile

Mike

March 23, 2015
5:26 pm
recipefordisaster
Members
I have an eXploristGC running 2.15 that was working fine, it is a refurb, and I don't use it 
that often. 

I went to add PQs to it and it freezes partway through the splash screen and no amount 
of battery changes, starting with joystick up/menu/power button pressed and the reset 
button have fixed it.

I can't connect in disk mode or anything. I figured I would go to the spare that I have 
only started once to make sure it worked-it runs 1.0 so I figured I'd get going on 
updating it since I need it tomorrow. THIS one (not a refurb) does exactly the same 
except that only the top 25% of the splash screen shows, the rest is black!!

I was shocked that none of the above got this one started, either. I can't imagine how 
I could be this unlucky... there is no reason for both to fail with such little use. 

Is there anything else I can try? I know Magellan won't stand behind them but I am 
pretty unhappy to have 2 bricked units.
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 451

Currently Online:
39 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1617

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 1003

Newest Members:

TersulamD, Thomaspar, RachlNiz, kaitlinmb60, hat, Karalinkabub, KulIkA, hero, fytkbrf, jhif

Administrators: JungleGhost: 289, Mike: 25

Comments

2 eXploristGCs that won't start up | GC 110 310 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply