Explorist 710 no power | 510 610 710 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 710 no power
October 17, 2017
9:36 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

rocks said
Right, but that doesn't mean it's not fixable. I fixed the other 710 I have, and the problem was the linear regulator that didn't work.  

Rocks,

Please take note that we are the only component service depot for the Magellan Explorist X10's in the World.  We are noting that your problem cannot be repaired and trying to save you time and trouble.

We admire your knowledge base and your competency in repair.  Now if you wish to contribute to this database a fix that the World needs then we ask you to investigate the many "iBoot" failures that users are receiving for their 510 - 610 and 710 units.

Your solution would be appreciated by all that have this problem.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

October 17, 2017
3:48 am
rocks
Members
Forum Posts: 4

Right, but that doesn't mean it's not fixable. I fixed the other 710 I have, and the problem was the linear regulator that didn't work.

October 16, 2017
11:00 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

rocks said
Also, here what's inside that cover 🙂  

Rocks,

You have misused your Charging Adapter as it will not charge secondary batteries inside the GPS.  Inadvertantly you have fried the unit.  The buzzing sound merely tells you that a component is received EXCESS power.  

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

October 16, 2017
10:28 am
rocks
Members

JungleGhost said

rocks said
Thanks for the answer. The internal battery is around 1.5v when no charger is hooked. It should be a rechargeable 3v. But when I connect the unit to computer it shows a bi over 3v.

I never used AA batteries. I always use the external charger/battery.

The way this unit fail is one day I hooked it to this external battery and it led for a second then never turn on again.

What is that big stainless thing? Is it the receiver module? I think the noise comes from that. Picture is attached 

Thanks again  

Rocks,

Question 3 (a) is the root of your problem.  The charger must have sent a spike to the GPS and fried it.

Sorry never looked under the hood.  So we do not know the answer.

Mike  

Thanks,

I believe the noise comes from this chip. It's marked uP6615A4. Do you know what would that be? I think it's a QFN package, but not sure.

October 7, 2017
5:47 pm
rocks
Members

Thanks for the answer. The internal battery is around 1.5v when no charger is hooked. It should be a rechargeable 3v. But when I connect the unit to computer it shows a bi over 3v.

I never used AA batteries. I always use the external charger/battery.

The way this unit fail is one day I hooked it to this external battery and it led for a second then never turn on again.

What is that big stainless thing? Is it the receiver module? I think the noise comes from that. Picture is attached 0IMG_0518.jpgImage Enlarger

Thanks again

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
October 6, 2017
10:39 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

rocks said
This is for Magellan Explorist 710 that does not turn on. Has anyone encountered this issue before and what caused it?

I left it to charge for a day and nothing happens. With usb or batteries, no difference. The screen is just black.

I removed the top cover then connected it to usb and I could hear a buzzing coming from somewhere.

What should the voltage for the internal RAM battery be?

Thank you  

Rocks,

Just a few comments that may help you.

1) There isn't any internal system setup that will allow you to charge any rechargeable batteries in the X10.  So if you believe that just attaching the unit to the USB will allow any battery to recharge, this assumption is in error.

2) The little EEPROM that you see on the motherboard can only be charged internally.  Meaning that you have to set up a charger for it.  However, your description of the problem has eliminated the EEPROM from being the cause of the problem.

3) You failed to mention what was the cause of the problem. 
       a) When you were using you GPS did you use any Power Supplies.  Like a Car Charger, etc. connection to the GPS through a USB cable..
       b) Did you store the GPS with batteries in it.   Did you see any battery corrosion when you looking inside the unit?

4) The buzzing sound could be anything and this usually means that the unit has a component that has been fried.  Hence Question #3.

In conclusion, it appears that your 710 may never be operable again.

JG

October 5, 2017
6:27 pm
rocks
Members

This is for Magellan Explorist 710 that does not turn on. Has anyone encountered this issue before and what caused it?

I left it to charge for a day and nothing happens. With usb or batteries, no difference. The screen is just black.

I removed the top cover then connected it to usb and I could hear a buzzing coming from somewhere.

What should the voltage for the internal RAM battery be?

Thank you

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1390

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

HotakFS, Vandakz, Lanatf, tpgamwell, SamnotsT, DonaLd100, Jordanripse, Jeremymug, Jim LaRue, gemasdotr

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

Explorist 710 no power | 510 610 710 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply