USB rubber cover - 510/610/710 | Parts Issues | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
USB rubber cover - 510/610/710
October 1, 2014
9:15 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If anyone (in the US) is stilling needing a USB Boot/Cover for a eX 510, 610 or 710 - there are a limited number available eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111476.....1555.l2649

Later,

David

December 18, 2012
8:50 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564

JungleGhost said
Congratulations David,   Job Well Done!!.  Surprised

I hope that someone will inform the Customer Service Department so that they can also assist the users.  Smile

JG

Add my congratulations also David.

JG, my hope is that someday someone in the 'Customer Service Department' realizes that the only reason for their existence is to assist their customers!

Perhaps someone higher up the food chain at Magellan or Mitac than the 'Customer Service Department' needs to be informed of the almost total lack of customer support.

Phil

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
December 18, 2012
6:37 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286

Congratulations David,   Job Well Done!!.  Surprised

Be forewarned that many of the users with bad USB covers are outside the USA. This could prove costly and I hope that Magellan will compensate you.

David, in all honesty it took Magellan over one year to respond to this SIMPLE need.  Garmin already had this policy and the part set in place at that time.

There are so many problems that Magellan can solve but I that you and Matt for getting the job done.  This is good step forward in winning back some users.

I hope that someone will inform the Customer Service Department so that they can also assist the users.  Smile

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

December 18, 2012
5:17 pm
David
Members

Great News!!! Magellan has listened to our concerns over the USB Covers and is providing free replacements.  As of right now Matt at Magellan has received the first box of replacements for the eX510, 610 and 710 and is sending some my way, so although a permanient system is not yet in place, Magellan is listening.   If you need a replacment USB cover for "Touch" unit please email me at: Zukicacher@gmail.com and I will mail you one at no cost to you.

David

December 7, 2012
12:12 am
phild31
Members

I agree with you about resale value, anyone concerned about that should get a replacement part and not drill holes in their unit!Wink

I am not concerned about resale value myself, I have a tendency to keep things, in fact I still have my Meridian Platinum that I bought when they first came out.Embarassed

In July or August when the rubber cover finally tore loose and there seemed no real hope of finding a new cover I was concerned about losing it so in September I made my modification to attach it to the unit.

I had tried tying it to the lanyard holder but the lanyard kept pulling on it and loosening the cover on the plug.

Before I drilled a hole in the back cover I tested to see how water tight the back cover is and I found that a little water gets behind the outside edge of the back cover but it never gets into the battery compartment or any other part of the unit. The only part of the back cover that is truely waterproof is the gasket around the battery compartment.

The only thing under the rubber cover that needs waterproofing is the USB plug itself and the rubber cover is tight enough around it to seal it.

December 6, 2012
9:23 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

phild31 said
JG,

I used the broken manufacturer's part to fabricate a temporary fix and it is waterproof.

On the first post of this thread I posted photos.

Phil

phild31 said
JG,

I used the broken manufacturer's part to fabricate a temporary fix and it is waterproof.

Phil

Phil,

Indeed your fix is ingenious.  I applaud your engineering skills.

However; my point was that the hinge coupled with a positive pressure fit looks nicer and may be more effective.

Also I do not like the possibility of capillary action doing a job of allowing water accumulate anywhere inside the unit.  Seal or no seal.

To repeat, your solution is effect but having seen so many Explorists advertised on eBay, but I am also concerned with the effect of this fix on the resale value of the unit.

My analogy being kind of like a house with the garage door springs on the outside. Smile

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

December 6, 2012
8:58 pm
phild31
Members

JG,

Phil

December 6, 2012
8:41 pm
phild31
Members

David said
Phil,

One of the reasons that this is not a priority is because Magellan has not received a "single" complaint (zero) about it via thier tech support people, so if you truly feel that this is a valid problem, please feel free to call the Magellan tech support line and inform them of the issues.

David

David,

When I called the tech support line months ago about this they told me they do not repair broken units.

The person I talked to seemed impatient and I do not think ever understood what I was talking about. She kept saying the cover is supposed to come off to replace the SD card.

So I then tried the customer support on their web site, the only thing I could do there was request a form to send my unit to them for replacement. But my unit, being out of warranty, did not qualify to be 'replaced'.

The next time I feel like being frustrated, enraged and treated like a stupid peasant I'll call the Magellan tech support line.

I have never gotten a response to the e-mail I sent to customer support to register a complaint about the cover issue and the tech support line.

All in all a totally unsatisfying experience.

December 6, 2012
6:14 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

A Message to All Members.

David is really trying to get the covers from Magellan.

Apparently Maggie did not keep a record of customer calls to CSS and the need for covers has gone unnoticed.

So here is what I proposed to David to pass on to Magellan.

I can understand that one of the big problems is that Magellan is not prepared to set up a system to handle small parts.

They would have to create a SKU and Warehouse procedure to handle the part.  Then there is the cost to send out the part, packaging, postage, manpower costs, etc.

So what I proposed to David to pass on to Magellan is that if they supplied us the part, we would handle the processing of the requests and all associated costs.

In essence, JG HQ would send the part to North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand and absorb the costs.  This way, Magellan will get some good PR and the save on the costs.

I agree with Phil that $10.00 is high but he did not pay to procure the parts from China.  He also devised his own method to patch the cover.  However, if a user wants to seal their unit against the elements the manufacturer's part is designed for this.

We would in turn, send Maggie the serial number and name of the user requesting the part.

Please stay tuned for the next episode.

JG

December 6, 2012
4:30 pm
David
Members

Phil,

One of the reasons that this is not a priority is because Magellan has not received a "single" complaint (zero) about it via thier tech support people, so if you truly feel that this is a valid problem, please feel free to call the Magellan tech support line and inform them of the issues.

David

December 6, 2012
4:18 pm
phild31
Members

I appreciate the efforts of David and Jeff trying to find some of these covers.

My 710 is well out of warranty and my "temporary" fix is working fine, so I will not be spending $10 to fix something that should be replaced for free by Magellan with an apology for a shoddy design.Yell

The new one would more than likely need replacement within a year anyway.Frown

December 6, 2012
2:28 pm
David
Members

Ok, here is the reality - if you need a replacement for the rubber boot/usb cover for you GPS, the only place you're going to find it is throught JungleGhost.com!!!  At the current time neither I or anyone else that I know of can come up with these except for the Ghost!!!

David

December 6, 2012
10:25 am
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

Jaker said

David said
Well, it looks like this isn't over. Jeff Caulfield, the Product Advocate for Magellan, isn't going to let this rest and he's going to push this up hill!!!

David

phild31 said
It's been so long now that I'm resigned to my temporary fix being permanent.Frown

I hope Jeff doesn't find himself in a Sisyphean experience.

And I wonder if Magellan has ever heard of the Sisyphusian condition?

Phil, I think you may be absolutely right. I hadn't realized David was speaking metaphorically. But, sh** rolls down hill too and the weary customers are not going to try pushing that up hill much longer!Cry

Jaker,

Here is the dilemma we are in.  We have the USB rubber covers in stock.  But are waiting for Magellan to supply them to David.

Magellan should be giving them to its user for FREE, just like Garmin does.

In our situation and as long as our supply last we are selling them for $10.00 USD + Shipping and Handling.   We will accept an order but for One (1) only per user.

We would really prefer NOT to do this .. but if a user is desperate we will sell one to them.

Contact us at support@jungleghost.com for details.

Our being the ONLY supplier of the USB cover should really put "EGG over the faces of the Magellan PR people and management."

If Maggie wants us to give them for free them let them send us some and stop us from having to go to the Mainland for our supplies. Frown

You must realize that this offer is ONLY available to users whose units are "out of warranty".  If you need a cover and have a unit "in warranty", Magellan will replace your unit.

JG

December 6, 2012
7:22 am
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 61

David said
Well, it looks like this isn't over. Jeff Caulfield, the Product Advocate for Magellan, isn't going to let this rest and he's going to push this up hill!!!

David

phild31 said
It's been so long now that I'm resigned to my temporary fix being permanent.Frown

Phil, I think you may be absolutely right. I hadn't realized David was speaking metaphorically. But, sh** rolls down hill too and the weary customers are not going to try pushing that up hill much longer!Cry

December 5, 2012
5:01 pm
phild31
Members

November 16, 2012
12:41 pm
David
Members

David

November 15, 2012
10:24 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin

David said

Well, I was told today that they are unavailable so I'm glad to hear that JG can help people out, because I'm not going to be able to .....

David

David,

Again, Magellan has let down their customers.

At least, then sent me five (5) (under the table) and a "kiss play" letter. For all the work and support you give them received 'egg' on your face. Confused

I really would like to see evidence of them SUPPORTING YOU and listening to the input of their customers.

Now you know why I started the "San Dimas (Magellan) Are You Listening??" Section on TOP of this forum. Frown

Regards,

JG

November 15, 2012
7:20 pm
David
Members

Well, I was told today that they are unavailable so I'm glad to hear that JG can help people out, because I'm not going to be able to .....

David

November 15, 2012
10:45 am
Mike
Guests

David said

Mike,

I have continued to ask about this, but as of yet I have seen nothing.

David

David,

I asked because JG just received a package from the MIGHTY "M" Laugh

The package had five rubber covers and a long letter claiming that they were happy to be able to respond to his request.

He burned the letter and scattered the ashes. His lips are still swollen from asking the favors from them. Kiss

Mike

November 15, 2012
1:48 am
David
Members

Mike,

I have continued to ask about this, but as of yet I have seen nothing.

David

November 14, 2012
9:14 am
Mike
Guests

David said

Mike,

I was at Magellan HQ last week and I personally spoke with their supply person and he's ordering us a case of each type and will be getting them to us as soon as they come in. When they arrive I will make sure to let everyone know so we can get them out to those who need them.

David

David,

Just playing "catch up" on my messages. Did you ever receive the rubber USB covers?

Mike

October 9, 2012
10:22 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 284

If possible, I'd like to have one of the 710 rubber and the one for the 110. The 710 rubber doesn't stay in place and is far from water tight, the one on the 110 is that tight, that the seal is allready damaged.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ
October 8, 2012
10:53 pm
David
Members

Mike,

I was at Magellan HQ last week and I personally spoke with their supply person and he's ordering us a case of each type and will be getting them to us as soon as they come in. When they arrive I will make sure to let everyone know so we can get them out to those who need them.

David

October 8, 2012
4:51 pm
Mike
Guests

David,

Did Jeff ever get you a box of the USB covers?

My Boss checked and Corporate told him that parts are only sold to employees. They also said that they did not have any of the covers.

Mike

October 8, 2012
3:55 pm
fishgeek
Suburban Richmond, VA
Members
Forum Posts: 1

The USB cover on my GC broke off a long time ago. They should probably just send a replacement to every registered user.

September 21, 2012
12:58 pm
phild31
Members

Sorceress,
On the other hand if I sent my beat-up 710 to Magellan and they replaced it with a new one I might get a newer Summit/City series map? Laugh

But they would probably send me back a refurbished unit, not new!Frown

Phil

September 21, 2012
8:17 am
Sorceress
Members
Forum Posts: 80

Phil, I could not agree more with you. Nobody wants to return their unit to Magellan for a simple USB cable cover replacement. I was also led to believe that they wished to replace my unit just because of this problem. I sincerely hope that I did not misunderstand them.

-S-

September 20, 2012
10:28 pm
phild31
Members

Thanks for the info Sorceress & David.
I really don't want to send my 710 to anyone for a simple mechanical fix.
It is out of warranty and I have no problems taking it apart to fix myself.

September 20, 2012
7:29 pm
David
Members

Jeff told me that he has some on the way and he'll be sending me a box of them once he gets them, so as soon as I get them I'll let you know.

David

September 20, 2012
7:18 pm
Sorceress
Members
Forum Posts: 80

phild31 said

The rubber cover for the usb plug on my 710 finally ripped all the way.
I need a new rubber gasket and/or cover for my 710.
It\'s well out of warranty.
The hole I drilled in the back cover is outside of the gasket so I do not get any water in the unit.

Just for my interest and since I have the same problem with one of our Garmin units, I called Garmin.

They just send me one .. no problem. I have also called Magellan for a replacement and they told me that I have to send the unit in to them. Laugh

-S-

September 18, 2012
2:10 pm
phild31
Members

The rubber cover for the usb plug on my 710 finally ripped all the way.
I need a new rubber gasket and/or cover for my 710.
It\'s well out of warranty.

Here\'s what I did for a temporary fix;
cover2.gif

cover3.gif

The hole I drilled in the back cover is outside of the gasket so I do not get any water in the unit.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1338

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

Swadswen, KerentO, RobertExelf, DoorvanS, SormatsV, sabercycle, NotrodW, FornetC, timurbib, Ordent

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

USB rubber cover - 510/610/710 | Parts Issues | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply