No tracklog on suspend mode - eXplorist 510, 610, 710 | Hardware Issues | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
No tracklog on suspend mode - eXplorist 510, 610, 710
October 5, 2012
9:10 am
Mike
Guests

kiozen said

Thank you all for your replies. I guess in Germany you have to address the shop for a replacement. I just fear that I will get another unit with defects, as it will be out of the scope of the shop owner to send a tested unit.

Another thing that startles me is the case of sondre. It seems that this can happen to proper working units, too. Thus either the EPROM is very sensitive and tends corrupt data or the software manages to corrupt it. This defect seems not as seldom as one would expect.

And of course the issue with the barometric sensor is another topic. Sure something might be broken. But even if the device is working well, will it work as expected? I documented my expectations in the other thread.

You see, if I contact the shop I want to know if I ask for a refund or another unit. I would appreciate a working device but right now this sounds like endless trouble with the EPROM, leeched batteries and the point of view on the abilities of a barometric sensor. Together with that customer service and the historical disaster on the Triton series, which scared me away from Magellan for a long time, I wonder if this devices will ever work as reliable as the other devices I have. But I am aware that no one can answer this for sure ;)

I will write a mail to Jeff Caulfield, too. If no one reports these things there is not even the chance of a change in the future. It's a bit of a pity how Magellan has wrecked it's reputation the last years. At least in Europe they are pretty much considered as a no-go. The reason why I bought this unit is to challenge that.

Oliver

Oliver,

In my opinion, you cannot trust the unit that you have. The X10 units are excellent. The only way you should go with these problems is to get a NEW UNIT from the dealer or Magellan.

Mike

October 5, 2012
5:57 am
kiozen
Members
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thank you all for your replies. I guess in Germany you have to address the shop for a replacement. I just fear that I will get another unit with defects, as it will be out of the scope of the shop owner to send a tested unit.

Another thing that startles me is the case of sondre. It seems that this can happen to proper working units, too. Thus either the EPROM is very sensitive and tends corrupt data or the software manages to corrupt it. This defect seems not as seldom as one would expect.

And of course the issue with the barometric sensor is another topic. Sure something might be broken. But even if the device is working well, will it work as expected? I documented my expectations in the other thread.

You see, if I contact the shop I want to know if I ask for a refund or another unit. I would appreciate a working device but right now this sounds like endless trouble with the EPROM, leeched batteries and the point of view on the abilities of a barometric sensor. Together with that customer service and the historical disaster on the Triton series, which scared me away from Magellan for a long time, I wonder if this devices will ever work as reliable as the other devices I have. But I am aware that no one can answer this for sure ;)

I will write a mail to Jeff Caulfield, too. If no one reports these things there is not even the chance of a change in the future. It's a bit of a pity how Magellan has wrecked it's reputation the last years. At least in Europe they are pretty much considered as a no-go. The reason why I bought this unit is to challenge that.

Oliver

October 4, 2012
5:11 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677

Your best bet from Magellan!!!

Jeff Caulfield
National Product Trainer/Brand Advocate
Magellan Outdoor GPS
801-816-0918
jcaulfield (AT) magellangps.com

October 4, 2012
4:05 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286

kiozen said

Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer. Is there a way to make the customer service realize that problem? See the situation is like that: I told them the problem, they promised me to find a solution and to call me back. After a week silence I had to call them, they told me to send in the device. The device came back with the very same issues. I called them to report that the device is still defective. They told me they need time for further investigation. I pointed out that these problems have been discussed already in the american forum month ago and Magellan should have a solution by now. Anyway after another week of waiting for a response I took action again and called them once more. This time they told me they want to forward the problem to an engineer and he will call me back. Unfortunately he is on vacation right now. I told them I will wait a week after his vacation and if nobody is addressing my problems I will call again. Guess the answer: Don't call us we call you :(

This is by any means the worst customer service experience I ever had. The device did not work properly right from the beginning. And the whole chitty-chatter with customer support took more than 2 month by now. That's why I am a bit startled if the 610 is supposed to work properly at all. I reported the same problems on the German forum and there are others experiencing the same problems. Thus it seems to be no unique thing.

Regarding the batteries. They are rechargeables. But they are brand new Eneloops. And even my most battered pair of rechargeables won't loose 100% of their charge in one week by their own.

But sure I can conduct another test with both sensors off. I will report to the other thread to keep topics separated.

Oliver

Oliver,

This is JG. Mike asked me to reply to your message.

I honestly believe that your Service Center in Europe does not have the tools to fix your GPS. Bare in mind, that Magellan does not repair units they replace them. I was discussing some issues that you have encountered in Europe with Alois and S1G.

I had private conversations with S1G and it was apparent to me that they gave him some SD cards to reinitialize an X10. But they did not give him all the parts and so he was unsuccessful.

The same parts that S1G and I discussed for the iBoot problem are the same parts needed to fix your problem. Unfortunately, these solution will not work for the iBoot problem but they will work for your problem. The entire unit must be reformatted and reloaded with the latest firmware.

So what are we are discussing is the INABILITY for your service center to do the repairs. Yes, they can reload firmware but this is not the answer.

I told S1G that we spent a great deal of moneys creating the tools to do this service. I have a philosophy that states that if you sell products you must be able to repair them especially if they are "out of warranty". This means that my organization cannot nor will not ever depend on Magellan Service except for a "Under Warranty Replacement'.

OK .. enough of my philosophies, The solution is for you to contact the Corporate offices for Magellan in writing with a registered letter and explain your circumstances and try to have them replace your unit with a working and tested unit.

In the USA, you would call the Magellan service center in California and make the request and they would send the customer a unit from Smyrna, Tennessee. In Europe, I have no idea of who to contact. Maybe one of our Forum members have this information?

Maybe David Carr can give us the name of the Head Honcho (the Big Boss) in your territory to write to. Calling is never the way to do it. You must document your problem and create a history of the events.

They are just working you with the "we will get back to you". In the USA, we use the similar expression that the "check is in the mail". This to me is just "smoke and mirrors".

You have a problem with the sensor and my guess is that it is draining the battery. Even if you turn off the sensor you will still get the drain. The reason for this is that the OFF command does really ever turn off the device.

In conclusion, have Magellan replace the unit. Write to them and give them a history of the problems the attempted solution by Magellan, etc. In my opinion, good customer service means more sales and more revenues.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

October 4, 2012
3:19 pm
kiozen
Members

Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer. Is there a way to make the customer service realize that problem? See the situation is like that: I told them the problem, they promised me to find a solution and to call me back. After a week silence I had to call them, they told me to send in the device. The device came back with the very same issues. I called them to report that the device is still defective. They told me they need time for further investigation. I pointed out that these problems have been discussed already in the american forum month ago and Magellan should have a solution by now. Anyway after another week of waiting for a response I took action again and called them once more. This time they told me they want to forward the problem to an engineer and he will call me back. Unfortunately he is on vacation right now. I told them I will wait a week after his vacation and if nobody is addressing my problems I will call again. Guess the answer: Don't call us we call you :(

This is by any means the worst customer service experience I ever had. The device did not work properly right from the beginning. And the whole chitty-chatter with customer support took more than 2 month by now. That's why I am a bit startled if the 610 is supposed to work properly at all. I reported the same problems on the German forum and there are others experiencing the same problems. Thus it seems to be no unique thing.

Regarding the batteries. They are rechargeables. But they are brand new Eneloops. And even my most battered pair of rechargeables won't loose 100% of their charge in one week by their own.

But sure I can conduct another test with both sensors off. I will report to the other thread to keep topics separated.

Oliver

October 4, 2012
1:24 pm
Mike
Guests

kiozen said

Hi,

I am the other user alois refers to. My 610 has the problem since the very first day of purchase. There are no additional maps, waypoints or tracks loaded. Just the plain factory setup. I already sent the unit to Magellan. They installed the latest firmware version 6.52 again and sent it back. But the device still does not log the track in suspend mode.

I would have expected they send me a replacement unit, especially as I reported more issues (batteries get drained when off, barometric sensor not working). Thus either service is poor or another unit won't change anything. What do you think.

Oliver

I think open 2 new threads for the other issues.

Kiozen,

I cannot address the issue of the "no tracklog on suspend mode" but I can address the replacement unit or the attempted fix of your unit by reloading the firmware.

In the case of the reloading of the firmware. This solution does not always work as there is no guarantee that the offending files will be overwritten. Magellan service must understand is that they must complete reformat the SDRAM chip and then do a clean install of the firmware and the maps.

If the barometer is now not working and batteries are draining when the unit is turned off begs the question of whether you are using rechargeable batteries or alkaline batteries or you received a defective replacement?

In all cases, you should turn off both the electronic and barometer sensors (as a test) and see the effect on battery drainage. Rechargeable batteries can be the issue of battery drain.

Bad Altimeter/Barometer sensors can and do occur.

So in conclusion, you should ask Magellan if they sent you a replacement and if so, return it.

Mike

October 4, 2012
11:28 am
kiozen
Members

Hi,

I am the other user alois refers to. My 610 has the problem since the very first day of purchase. There are no additional maps, waypoints or tracks loaded. Just the plain factory setup. I already sent the unit to Magellan. They installed the latest firmware version 6.52 again and sent it back. But the device still does not log the track in suspend mode.

I would have expected they send me a replacement unit, especially as I reported more issues (batteries get drained when off, barometric sensor not working). Thus either service is poor or another unit won't change anything. What do you think.

Oliver

I think open 2 new threads for the other issues.

October 2, 2012
3:36 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 75

I'm not so sure this is related to newer units.
I have 2 very old 710s. They were purchased right after these units were released.
Both have behaved good, but about a week ago one of them suddenly stopped tracking in suspend mode (which I use a lot). In most cases it will track for a while, and then stop tracking.
Both have the latest software, and have had that since it was released.
There has been quite some cases where it seemed that deleting the \USR\UGDS.BIN file solved the problem, so I tried that. Did not fix the problem. I also tried defragmenting the file system on the unit, also with no luck. My last desperate try was to delete and reload all waypoints and track on the unit (export them to the SD card, delete all, import from SD card).
I have only had one trip after that, but the unit did track all the time, and that's the first time since the problem showed up. So I hope.....

BR
Sondre

September 19, 2012
6:39 pm
Mike
Guests

alois said

The newer eXplorist Touchscreen units should have the "PWA_TOUCH_PRO_MB" PCB inside and the it seems that the older PCB is out of manufacturing.

I took a inside view photo of the latest eX 610 and the same picture shows a "Falk Lux 30", a GPSr sold in Germany by a Company named "United Navigation AG" (Falk is a well known brand in germany).
As you see, it's the same PCB in it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-.....llan1.jpg/

Both units produced in early 2012 and contain the exact same HW revision. The "Falk Lux" drops some parts like the microphone, the camera and the magnetic battery cover.

The eX 610 is a normal retail unit, but i think it's no big deal for the manufacturer to swap the board but still using the same OS-version. But the use of the suspend mode seems to be different.

Alois,

The new units that have yet to be released have the same size PCB board and support the new camera and screen display. I will be posting pictures that I just took on a trip to Canada with the new camera. The Camera has more pixels and better picture and is very sensitive in subdued light. Frankly the new display is not that much better.

The boards in these photo's are the same dimensions they just removed the camera. The screen is the old display screen. In all, they should be able to support the version 6.5X firmware.

Thanks for the photo's. I wonder if they have the same old altimeter/barometer sensors? Cry

Mike

September 19, 2012
3:19 pm
alois
Members
Forum Posts: 19

The newer eXplorist Touchscreen units should have the "PWA_TOUCH_PRO_MB" PCB inside and the it seems that the older PCB is out of manufacturing.

I took a inside view photo of the latest eX 610 and the same picture shows a "Falk Lux 30", a GPSr sold in Germany by a Company named "United Navigation AG" (Falk is a well known brand in germany).
As you see, it's the same PCB in it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-.....llan1.jpg/

Both units produced in early 2012 and contain the exact same HW revision. The "Falk Lux" drops some parts like the microphone, the camera and the magnetic battery cover.

The eX 610 is a normal retail unit, but i think it's no big deal for the manufacturer to swap the board but still using the same OS-version. But the use of the suspend mode seems to be different.

September 19, 2012
1:10 pm
Mike
Guests

alois said

As i own two eXplorist 610 units i found a bug that related to newer hardware only.

Any eXplorist 510, 610 or 710 should be able to continue it's tracklog while switched to suspend mode.
But some units stopped data recording in suspend mode.
It seems that this affects only the later produced units.

Unit 1: Serial number 0149000058xxx
This one works like it should. The mainboard inprint shows "PWA: TOUCH_MB".
Got the unit preloaded with software 4.xx from factory.

Unit 2: Serial number 0149100010xxx
This one stopped recording data in suspend mode. The mainboard inprint shows "PWA: TOUCH_PRO_MB". Got this one with software 6.xx preloaded from factory.

Several other users in germany reported that their eXplorist 610 or 710 fully works.
Another user with a unit SN 0149100008xxx reported that this eX 610 also stopped recording data in suspend. The Magellan service center where he sent it to check confirmed that. They tried to reload the software but without any effect.

I think there is a hardware related bug.

Hello Again Alois, addressing #2, first of all the PWA: TOUCH_PRO_MB should not be inside your 610 as this board is for the PRO-10 which is loaded with a different WindowsCE operating system.

It is very tricky to convert a PRO-10 MB to work as a normal 610 or for the fact a 510 or 710, You have to reformat the SDRAM chip and then reload the entire system.

Now to address the SN 0149100008xxx unit. We know that the Magellan Service Center does not have the latest development tools so I would think that they just reloaded the external software and obviously the problem lies in the EPROM secret partition.

The trick on this repair is to reload a new version 6.52 using the 6.52 development tools.

Mike

September 19, 2012
11:53 am
alois
Members
Forum Posts: 19

As i own two eXplorist 610 units i found a bug that related to newer hardware only.

Any eXplorist 510, 610 or 710 should be able to continue it's tracklog while switched to suspend mode.
But some units stopped data recording in suspend mode.
It seems that this affects only the later produced units.

Unit 1: Serial number 0149000058xxx
This one works like it should. The mainboard inprint shows "PWA: TOUCH_MB".
Got the unit preloaded with software 4.xx from factory.

Unit 2: Serial number 0149100010xxx
This one stopped recording data in suspend mode. The mainboard inprint shows "PWA: TOUCH_PRO_MB". Got this one with software 6.xx preloaded from factory.

Several other users in germany reported that their eXplorist 610 or 710 fully works.
Another user with a unit SN 0149100008xxx reported that this eX 610 also stopped recording data in suspend. The Magellan service center where he sended it in to check confirmed that. They tried to reload the software but without any effect.

I think there is a hardware related bug.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1390

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

HotakFS, Vandakz, Lanatf, tpgamwell, SamnotsT, DonaLd100, Jordanripse, Jeremymug, Jim LaRue, gemasdotr

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

No tracklog on suspend mode - eXplorist 510, 610, 710 | Hardware Issues | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply