Explorist 710 Audio Issues | Hardware Issues | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 710 Audio Issues
All of a Sudden, Audio is Distorted
July 21, 2013
8:10 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

kc27 said
I was using my Explorist 710 in vehicle navigation mode at full volume. It was working fine one minute, the next, the audio is distorted, sounding much like a speaker does when the volume is set too high. I thought maybe it needed a fresh set of batteries, but that did not resolve the problem. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I was thinking of resetting the unit, even though that seems like a long shot in resolving this problem. I've also noticed that the vibrate functionality, even though it is enabled, does not work. Not sure if that offers a any clues or not. Otherwise than those two issues, the unit seems to work properly.

Magellan's out-of-warranty policy makes it clear that the unit would be replaced, not repaired, but there is no indication of cost for this "service". Since that might be something I need to pursue, if anyone has any experience they could share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.\

Kenn,

As you can attest, the solution to your problem was for us to replace your speaker.

Regards,

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

July 21, 2013
8:07 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286

pprass said
I have not had any experience with this problem, although from time to time I get a kind of "brrrrrt" sound coming from the speaker when going between screens.  It sounds to me as though the speaker in the unit has been damaged.  I think that the quality of the sound system is very poor - the microphone for instance is way to sensitive and even in a slight breeze the recording is usually in-audible.

Try reloading the firmware just to tick that off - however if it is a hardware issue, then a software reload probably won't be of any use.

The other option is to call the customer service desk and ask them if there is a simple fix - otherwise it is a replacement I feel.

Peter,

First you have to test the speaker cones.  Depress the cones from the back and do a voice recording and find out if the troublesome sound is inhibited.

Next do a diagnostic in the settings and see if the audio level is a crisp click.

[Personally, I do not believe a software reinstall will be of any help.]

Now for the scenario:  We have been receiving back many of the 710's with speakers that have been wasted by the use of improper car adapters.

I do believe that we discussed this on the forum. If you are using the City Series the current required to broadcast the voice is much higher.  If you are using a Magellan car adapter you are OK.  However; if you are using another type .. problems could occur.  Such a problem is reported in the previous message by KC.

I do believe that I recommended to this forum, when it started years ago, to use a DC power supply, like a HYPERKIN 1000 mAh battery unit.

The answer if the speaker is wasted, is to replace it.

Using the instructions, that I posted on this forum you would remove the back panel and PUNCH OUT THE SPEAKER and replace it.

If you can get speakers from Maggie in Australia, good luck.

If not we have to do the work in the USA which gives us the chance to also check out the microphone and other features.

This is a $38.75 USD part plus repair costs and we have the item in stock.  Unfortunately, as you know, we do not sell parts, we do repairs as this saves both us and the customer a lot of anguish.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

July 21, 2013
6:10 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 280

I have not had any experience with this problem, although from time to time I get a kind of "brrrrrt" sound coming from the speaker when going between screens.  It sounds to me as though the speaker in the unit has been damaged.  I think that the quality of the sound system is very poor - the microphone for instance is way to sensitive and even in a slight breeze the recording is usually in-audible.

Try reloading the firmware just to tick that off - however if it is a hardware issue, then a software reload probably won't be of any use.

The other option is to call the customer service desk and ask them if there is a simple fix - otherwise it is a replacement I feel.

July 15, 2013
9:37 am
kc27
Members
Forum Posts: 3

I was using my Explorist 710 in vehicle navigation mode at full volume. It was working fine one minute, the next, the audio is distorted, sounding much like a speaker does when the volume is set too high. I thought maybe it needed a fresh set of batteries, but that did not resolve the problem. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I was thinking of resetting the unit, even though that seems like a long shot in resolving this problem. I've also noticed that the vibrate functionality, even though it is enabled, does not work. Not sure if that offers a any clues or not. Otherwise than those two issues, the unit seems to work properly.

Magellan's out-of-warranty policy makes it clear that the unit would be replaced, not repaired, but there is no indication of cost for this "service". Since that might be something I need to pursue, if anyone has any experience they could share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1355

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

YmpoRefT, Davidutere, Merrilldak, maskisa, AbanaTut, Nicanor89Mef, NancyGuine, JoeyGluse, Robertsop, Gregoryedura

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

Explorist 710 Audio Issues | Hardware Issues | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply