610: Batteries get drained when switched off | Hardware Issues | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
610: Batteries get drained when switched off
December 8, 2012
4:47 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

S!G said
We made some testings in our german board, related to this issue.

I've taken the batteries out of my x710, so none of any sensors could still run. Than I installed the batteries with a layer of paper between battery (-) and the device's (-) contact.

Than I took a amp mesuring between the sides of the paper. Guess what: I have a draining of 1.4 mA on nearly full rechargeables. So I wonder, where those 1,4 mA are going to.

I did the same with my x110 and got 0.04 mA.

Later, I made the same test with my Beta "Touch" device with about 3.4 mA.

@ JG or Mike: Can you be so nice, to make the same testing with some of your devices? It would clarify, if this 1.4 mA is in a "normal" range or way off.

Until the test, I was allways telling, the battery drain issue is not on my x710. but since now, I'm not convinced anymore.

My x710 also drained my rechargeables down to 0.89 V. this is far from any good.

Steffen

Steffen,

Many months ago I did the same test on my 710, I get .047 mA.

You are getting 30 times the 'normal' drain, if mine is 'normal'.

.047 x 30 =1.41

Phil

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
December 8, 2012
2:25 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 284

Is the sensor the one between the µSD-card slot and the GPS antenna  / camera module upper switch?

Than the color of the label is green. If the sensor is on the screen faced side, I need some assistence by removing the PCB.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ
December 8, 2012
1:57 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 286

S!G said

I've taken the batteries out of my x710, so none of any sensors could still run. Than I installed the batteries with a layer of paper between battery (-) and the device's (-) contact.

Than I took a amp mesuring between the sides of the paper. Guess what: I have a draining of 1.4 mA on nearly full rechargeables. So I wonder, where those 1,4 mA are going to.

@ JG or Mike: Can you be so nice, to make the same testing with some of your devices? It would clarify, if this 1.4 mA is in a "normal" range or way off.

Until the test, I was allways telling, the battery drain issue is not on my x710. but since now, I'm not convinced anymore.

My x710 also drained my rechargeables down to 0.89 V. this is far from any good.

Steffen

Steffen,

The drain specification of the manufacturer is ten times lower than 1.4 ma when it is in standby mode.

You have just verified again, that the sensor is really not shutting down.

By the way, what is the color of the sensor band in the Beta vs. the standard 710.  We think that we have discovered the color of the bad batch of sensors. Surprised

Also the draining of the batteries when the unit is off with batteries installed is resulting in some of the batteries leaking.

We have also just noticed that the some of the black banded sensor of coming in with corrosive leakage seeping around the sensor seal.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

December 8, 2012
12:46 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 284

Steffen

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ
November 14, 2012
9:11 am
Mike
Guests

kiozen said

Hi,
on my recently purchased 610 the batteries get drained within on week. The first time I assumed I might have switched into suspend by accident. But after that I checked the battery status each day until it decreased to one unit on the bar within a few days.

It seems the problem has been reported on older posts however the following discussion did not result in a solution. Any chance there is one?

Oliver

Oliver,
I must apologize for taking so long to address your issue. A long time ago, we advised David Carr who in turn advised Magellan of a problem with the altimeter/barometer sensors installed in the X610 and X710 units.

Essentially what we discovered is that somehow some of these sensors did not turn off. They were in fact, constantly draining current from the batteries. Therefore, the problem that you encountered.

Later we found that there were two different sensors being installed in production.

One sensor did turn off and the battery drain ceased. The other created the problem you have encountered.

We issued a special message to our customers advising them to REMOVE the batteries from the units if not in use. Just recently we found that users who did not remove the batteries and stored the units for some time created a condition to cause the batteries to leak and corrode the battery compartment.

Now you have the story on this problem. Our advice is for you to please remove the batteries when the unit is not in use.

Mike

October 4, 2012
11:36 am
kiozen
Members
Forum Posts: 7

Hi,
on my recently purchased 610 the batteries get drained within on week. The first time I assumed I might have switched into suspend by accident. But after that I checked the battery status each day until it decreased to one unit on the bar within a few days.

It seems the problem has been reported on older posts however the following discussion did not result in a solution. Any chance there is one?

Oliver

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1355

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

YmpoRefT, Davidutere, Merrilldak, maskisa, AbanaTut, Nicanor89Mef, NancyGuine, JoeyGluse, Robertsop, Gregoryedura

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

610: Batteries get drained when switched off | Hardware Issues | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply