610: barometric sensor not working | Hardware Issues | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
610: barometric sensor not working
October 5, 2012
8:24 am
kiozen
Members
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi S!G

yes I know these numbers. However a table with values at a few reference points does not really show the quality of the elevation recorded in a track. You can't see if an elevation change of a few meters gets drowned in the variance of the value. A real example track, as I posted along with the graphs, would be helpful to get a real feeling for the quality.

October 5, 2012
6:02 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 284

link my messures. But we've discussed allready.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ
October 5, 2012
4:44 am
kiozen
Members

That would be bad if the sensor is generally of no use. So far I couldn't find someone to present a track that proves that the sensor is really improving the accuracy of the elevation in a track.

What do I do to test these things?

I life near a river. This river has a levee. If I walk a small round from top of the levee down to the river (~4m, 12ft) along the river, then up to the top of the levee and back home, I can see the difference of levels in the track files of my other two devices. In the one of the 610 variation of the elevation has nothing to do with the real changes.

I posted an example in the German Magellan forum:

This is a 610 track:
http://www.magellanboard.de/do.....php?id=257

And this is a track from the Sportiva:
http://www.magellanboard.de/do.....php?id=256

Both track where recorded at the very same time. The track from the Sportiva presents the changes in elevation pretty well. Is it possible to get the same accuracy with the 610? Or is this beyond the ability of the device?

Oliver

October 4, 2012
5:47 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564

I'm sorry to tell you that in my opinion the barometer is totally useless.
My 710 has never given my dependable elevation readings with the barometer, I leave it shut off and use gps for elevation.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
October 4, 2012
11:46 am
kiozen
Members

Hi,

sorry me again :) There is a third issue with my 610. I switched on the barometric sensor and selected it as source for the altimeter. In my elevation data field on the screen I will see the current elevation. If I am moving the elevation will not change. Even if I go up a slope.

In the track recording the elevation has a large variance. Imho it's not the elevation from the barometric sensor but the one from the GPS receiver (+-20m, 60ft). On my test walk I used a Garmin 62s and CompeGPS Sportiva as references. Both devices have a barometric sensor, too. And on both elevation changes of a few meters where recorded properly. On the 610 minor changes could not be seen due the large variance.

Any idea how to get a proper elevation from the barometric sensor?

Oliver

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1390

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

HotakFS, Vandakz, Lanatf, tpgamwell, SamnotsT, DonaLd100, Jordanripse, Jeremymug, Jim LaRue, gemasdotr

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

610: barometric sensor not working | Hardware Issues | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply