Explorist 710 | General GC | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 710
March 29, 2012
10:23 pm
jimmciver
Members
Forum Posts: 13
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5620sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thx for all the help. I'll checkout the other programs mentioned as time allows.
-jm

March 29, 2012
5:52 pm
NFARCH
Members
5617sp_Permalink sp_Print

There was a mention of using a Garmin Mapsend in the Explorist 710. Can you elaborate on this. I have an awesome atv map for Garmin and would love to have it on my X10. I have tried to convert it to no avail. Any suggestions?

March 29, 2012
2:58 pm
Morel
Guests
5615sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mapsend Topo 3D will work, but I would suggest using Maps4me. Here are the instructions for creating a region in Mapsend to use in the Triton (works for x10s).

Mapsend

Leave off first and last digit of serial# and use "save to hard drive" option. Load it directly to the card in the 710, do not use VP.

March 29, 2012
1:51 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 173
5614sp_Permalink sp_Print

jimmciver wrote:

Yes. The area is between N46 36 00, W116 26 7 and N46 36 47, W116 23 32.

There's a creek named Cedar Creek that showed on the Magellan Gold, but not the Explorist 710.

Hi, Just use the Maps4me USA West map. It has the most detailled data for the US watershed included. (including your Cedar Creek with name.)

What you also could do is use the old topo3d software and create a map for the eXplorist (leave away the first an the last digit of your serial number, as for the Tritons)

BR
Sockeye

March 29, 2012
1:03 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 421
5613sp_Permalink sp_Print

(Paganel, I am jealous, I wish we had terrain like yours where I live, nothing but flat land with swamps and lakes, very few hills !)

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.
March 29, 2012
11:18 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 120
5611sp_Permalink sp_Print

We create the RMP of any paper maps. We use the programs GlobalMapper and geoTIFFtoRMP.

rmpmap.gif

March 29, 2012
8:42 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 673
5610sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is a better picture:

terra2.jpg

Click to enlarge...

March 29, 2012
8:32 am
David
Members
5609sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK - I'm going to forward this thread onto Richard at Magellan and he what he can tell us both about the detail, or lack of, on the Summit maps and the problem with the Digital Globe system in Idaho.
Also, JM I was wondering if a map like this would work in th mean time.

You can very quickly and easily make these maps with MOBAC for free and they will work on your eXplorist. I believe you still have to run Sockeyes RMP tool on them, but they will work on your GPS...

David

March 29, 2012
3:56 am
bkb
Members
Forum Posts: 21
5608sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not sure if this will help but if you scroll the map screen with a stylus or your finger then touch the stream it will display the name on top of the screen, although some streams all it says is stream.

March 29, 2012
2:11 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1547
5607sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree about some of the details on the Explorist maps compared to my old Meridian Platinum and my Triton 2000.
The only details I've noticed missing has been some names of streams , creeks and small ridge lines.
But the vastly better performance of the 710 over every other GPSr I've used more that makes up for a bit less details in some areas.

Generally, Maps4Me have details as good and usually better than the Magellan maps.

I have Maps4Me, Jungle Ghost and Magellan topo maps loaded on my 710.
All miss some details, but not always the same details.
So far using these 3 I've been able to get the detail names that I wanted/needed from at least one of them.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
March 29, 2012
1:30 am
denisetdoris
Members
5606sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just to confirm, I have Topo Canada, and in all fairness, it is as detailed or more so than the Summit Canada on my 610. Some aspects are worse, but some are much better. Less POI on the T-C, but more topo detail.

March 29, 2012
1:02 am
jimmciver
Members
5605sp_Permalink sp_Print

David,

Yes I had the MapSend topo's loaded. To bad there isn't a way to convert MapSend topo's to Summit. You'd have the best of both worlds as the Mapsend info blew the Garmins away.
-jm

March 29, 2012
1:00 am
jimmciver
Members
5604sp_Permalink sp_Print

Do you know of other maps that will load on the 710 that have more detail?

ps. Just tried to purchase Satellite Imagery from magellangps and it can't be done from Idaho...give an error about tax code or some such. You also can't order it via phone lines...answer is to wait several days til someone can see what's wrong. Figured I might be able to see something on it, but probably would have been a waste anyway.

what fun,
-jm

March 29, 2012
12:57 am
David
Members
5603sp_Permalink sp_Print

JM,

I have one more question before I contact Magellan concerning this - if I remember correctly my Meridan Gold had an ok base map on it; however, I had to upgrade it with Mapsend TOPO 3D in order to get high quality maps on the unit. Our we talking about the products basemap or have you upgraded the maps on your Gold at some time in the past. I need to know which product we're comparing the Summit series to before I can address this...

Thanks,
David

March 29, 2012
12:55 am
Sorceress
Members
Forum Posts: 80
5602sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes Jim, I observed the same problem. The Magellan Maps on the 610 do not give the detail as other maps that I have in my possession.

March 29, 2012
12:24 am
jimmciver
Members
5601sp_Permalink sp_Print

I should probably be more clear, the creek shows, but not the name of the creek. Name of creek shows on old Magellan Gold.

March 29, 2012
12:22 am
jimmciver
Members
5600sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes. The area is between N46 36 00, W116 26 7 and N46 36 47, W116 23 32.

There's a creek named Cedar Creek that showed on the Magellan Gold, but not the Explorist 710.

Yes I have Map / Chart Detail set at high.
thx,
-jm

March 29, 2012
12:15 am
denisetdoris
Members
5599sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Can you give me the coordinates to the area and are your map details set to high?

Thx.
David

I agree. I think these units come with the Map Detail spec set to Medium, meaning the map won't show all the detail that's actually there.

Hit the screen, press Menu, then Tools, then Options. Scroll down to Map Options and set the Map Detail to High.

March 28, 2012
11:56 pm
David
Members
5598sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can you give me the coordinates to the area and are your map details set to high?

Thx.
David

March 28, 2012
6:00 pm
jimmciver
Members

I don't see an area dealing with the Explorist 710 GPS, so I'm a little unsure as to where to post.
Anyway, thought I'd let users know that the old Magellan Gold GPS has more information and detail with the MapSend program than a new Explorist 710 with Summit.
I've only been out once with the new Explorist 710, but my old Magellan Gold showed steams and creeks names that the Explorist doesn't. (I've been to the area before) This was a huge disappointment to me and I'm a little sorry I traded. The names of streams and creeks is quit important to me for finding my location on printed maps. I guess bells and whistles on the Explorist 710 are nice, but I wanted a GPS with more detailed information. I'm a member of a local Search and Rescue unit and we rely heavily on GPS.

It would be cool if Benchmark Maps could be loaded into an Explorist...of course they only have USA Pacific Northwest maps so far..

Regards,
-jm

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 451

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1547

David: 673

denisetdoris: 421

S!G: 280

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 256

jmebd: 190

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 141

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1569

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 14

Forums: 43

Topics: 990

Newest Members:

Seriesaym, Rikmotu, SergeyGok, Barmanc, VirgilTracy, Phil, Tanikam, enniself48, TiramanA

Administrators: JungleGhost: 283, Mike: 25

Comments

Explorist 710 | General GC | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply