Magellan present new generation handheld GPS units | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Magellan present new generation handheld GPS units
July 21, 2010
4:23 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
463sp_Permalink sp_Print

My main problem is I don't like the controls or screens of the Garmin & DeLorme units. Even when they don't work as advertised the Magellan units are easier for me to use out in the real world.
Personally, I don't understand everyone's obsession with smaller & ever smaller units.

The expolristXL may be larger but the screen can be seen and read in any conditions.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
July 21, 2010
7:41 am
EddieB606
Members
Forum Posts: 18
461sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Miniwhip wrote:

Sockeye wrote:

...if the firmware is as buggy and uncomplete as the Triton FW launch, they will miss their last chance...

BR
Sockeye

There have never been wiser words spoken. I'm 100% confident that they will deliver this time.

I think I'll wait for all the bugs, bad software, broken promises and futile upgrades are proven fixed before I spend any more of my limited money THIS time!

I'm sick of being an unpaid beta tester for them.

Well, I feel better now after that rant. 😛

Rant on Brother!!! I totally agree. As I've said, I have long supported Magellan's car units, still do, this is the first outdoor unit of theirs I've used. I supported it in the beginning, talked a couple people into buying one, which I deeply regret now, but now I tell people to steer clear. It is a huge disappointment and has become my backup unit that only comes out when my iPhone dies. Once I save up enough for a new Garmin, it will be craigslist.
Magellan needs to focus on the Auto market where they are top of the line and leave the outdoor market to the pros, like Garmin and DeLorme. Or at least show that they plan to make things right with the GC customers that have a bad taste left in their mouths.

July 21, 2010
6:55 am
phild31
Members
460sp_Permalink sp_Print

Miniwhip wrote:

Sockeye wrote:

...if the firmware is as buggy and uncomplete as the Triton FW launch, they will miss their last chance...

BR
Sockeye

There have never been wiser words spoken. I'm 100% confident that they will deliver this time.

What makes you 100% confident they will deliver this time?
They never delivered on the Triton series, the GC still has real problems and now they think we can trust them to deliver what they promise again?

I think I'll wait for all the bugs, bad software, broken promises and futile upgrades are proven fixed before I spend any more of my limited money THIS time!

If it wasn't for this forum and the triton forum both the T2000 & the GC would be next to useless with the non-existent customer support I've gotten from Maggie over the years.

So far the exploristXL is the only unit that has always done what was promised, except for the minor problem that they had to recall and replace every one of the first units sold! And that was their best release of a new unit!

I'm sick of being an unpaid beta tester for them.

Well, I feel better now after that rant. 😛

July 20, 2010
11:56 pm
EddieB606
Members
Forum Posts: 18
459sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmm....shouldn't they work out all the bugs with the GC first? :dry: New units sound good in theory, but until my GC is up to speed, I'm not wasting more money. I love my Magellan car units, but I'm less than impressed with the GC.

July 20, 2010
12:40 am
Miniwhip
Guests
455sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sockeye wrote:

BR
Sockeye

July 19, 2010
4:22 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 173
454sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had the chance to play around with these new units. They look stylish, fit nicely in the hand and make a high quality impression.

The software installed was not even in beta state. You could navigate through the menues and get an impression what will be possible. I could not do real tests to functionality due to the state of the firmware. (e.g. the 710 was running 610 firmware, so routing could not be checked)

But what I could do is to open the unit, take out the batteries and insert my micro SD card, prepared with a Maps4me *.imi, a *.poi and *.rmp maps. :whistle:

The change of the microSD card was quite a fumbling... I therefore wouldnt want to change it frequently...

The *.imi and the *.poi maps were accepted by the unit. The *rmp was not. But the sales representative promised the units will be fully downward compatible to RMP and IMI. That's good news.

Now let us hope, they will work on the firmware with due diligence, because (and I think they all know) if the firmware is as buggy and uncomplete as the Triton FW launch, they will miss their last chance...

BR
Sockeye

July 16, 2010
5:15 pm
phild31
Members
444sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh boy, a new toy! :woohoo:
It does look like Maggie has listened to user input with this release.
With a bigger screen and all the features these will have it looks like a winner.
Hopefully there will be very few problems with this release.
I'm looking forward to October and getting one.

July 16, 2010
4:50 pm
Gazelem
Members
Forum Posts: 24
443sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like the website that Miniwhip shared with us is actually in Croatian. So, thanks to Google Translator, here is what it says:

Today, Magellan has introduced a new generation of handheld GPS - Magellan eXplorist 510/610/710

"New" eXplorist make a pile of news, and is actually presented in a single device all the best that has so far made in the world of Magellan handheld GPS devices.

As an example,
- From the Meridian series, there is the possibility of simultaneous use of two coordinate systems
- From "old" eXplorist there is a file system for storing and loading data, plus location of the Croatian language
- From the Triton is a touch-screen, excellent support for raster maps and strong multimedia capabilities

More information about the technical specifications (unofficial) you can see the http://www.topomap.hr/explorist.html

New eXplorist will be on the market in September, the 2010th year, while the exit and NOVA - the strongest to date - Topographic Map topo2010EE

Below you can see a handful of screenshots (there is a possibility that there will be some minor changes!)

July 16, 2010
4:29 pm
Gazelem
Members
442sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, from what I can see (don't know German), it really looks like they made a lot of effort to listen to the consumer and put features we have been asking for into this unit. Specifically, I am thinking of the two User Profiles. But I noticed some others. It looks like MiTac is doing the right things with this unit. Now to come up with the money to buy one.

July 16, 2010
12:15 am
Miniwhip
Guests
438sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not sure yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on one!

July 15, 2010
10:23 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677
436sp_Permalink sp_Print

So Craig, what's the scoop on these new units?

David

July 15, 2010
10:22 pm
Miniwhip
Guests
435sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's in German(?), but here's even more info, and screenshots!

http://www.topomap.hr/forum/vi.....#038;t=121

July 15, 2010
6:32 pm
Gazelem
Members
434sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am trying to see the difference between the three models. So far here is what I can see.

710 - has everything the 610 has, but with the Cities Series maps, and turn-by-turn navigation.

610 - has everything the 510 has, but with the summit series maps and and altimeter.

510 - is the baseline for the other two. They all have a 3.2 MP camera, paperless geocaching, and 3' touch screen, and 3D maps.

Are there any others that I missed?

July 15, 2010
12:52 pm
DavorF
Members
Forum Posts: 29

Today Magellan unveiled new generation of handheld GPS devices - the eXplorists 510/610/710

More info on Magellan site - http://www.magellangps.com

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 451

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1628

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 1003

Newest Members:

KastotL, yfnjkbqJecourf, Beammahoogs, Charlesnuh, Richardket, MelvinSkese, Mhasepet, Charleswaymn, Josepherm, GTA5ManTam

Administrators: JungleGhost: 289, Mike: 25

Comments

Magellan present new generation handheld GPS units | General 510 610 710 | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply