Magellan eXplorist 610: track saving | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Magellan eXplorist 610: track saving
What is the best strategy not to loose tracking data? The unit only saved the last part of the track, I lost the previous 4hours of walking
August 26, 2013
6:53 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The picture will be attached to the point created at the closest second to when the picture was taken.

Take into consideration that you will stop for at least 10 seconds to take a picture (identify the plant, get out the camera, take the picture, put the camera away), therefore, with it set at every 10 seconds, there will be a track point for any time/place the picture was taken, it won't matter if it's point #73, #74 or #75, you were at the same place for all 3 of them.

As back up or comparison, you can also take a picture with the unit and attach it to the track when you take the picture.

With it set for every 10 seconds it will record 4,320 points in 12 hours, no problem having room for track data.

Plus some people have reported that their track data was not recorded while in suspend, but I have never had that happen with my unit.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
August 26, 2013
7:17 am
ThD
Members
Forum Posts: 5

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Yesterday I tried the suggested settings and it worked quite OK, even with my rechargeable batteries (2500mAh) and the unit set for "rechargeable". One battery set held from 14:00-22:00. To ensure I did not loose any data I did save and restart my track 4 times, which I find a bit of nuisance.

Regarding the track points settings of every 1 second, my main reason is to be able to Log Match photographs taken with another camera to +- the exact position (endangered plant locations). I will experiment with 2 or even 10 seconds to see if the error is acceptable.

Thomas

August 21, 2013
11:09 am
phild31
Members

I will add that track points settings of every 10 seconds will give you almost as accurate a track for hiking as every one second, the difference I have seen is less than 1%.

Personally I don't use the suspend timer, I will put it in suspend manually when I want it in suspend.

The odometer has never been accurate, when I compared the track I saved with the odometer readings the odometer is always off by quite a lot.

Plus don't bother with the barometer, it does not increase accuracy of tracks and is a battery killer.

And in suspend the unit seems to use gps instead of barometer anyway.

I never have the barometer turned on.

I second JG's advice for the Hyperkin 10000 mAH battery pack, I've been using one for 2 years now for long all day hikes.

The only drawback is having a cable plugged into the unit.

August 21, 2013
9:43 am
phild31
Members

I would add to the battery issue, if you are using rechargeable batteries try setting the battery type to alkaline instead of rechargeable.

There has been an issue with the power management of these units, my 710 still has the problem of when set for rechargeable the battery shows half dead and shuts down in two hours. When I change the setting to alkaline the batteries perform fine - 6-9 hours of hard use.

You can also increase the maximum number of track points and tracks.

Doing this will void the warranty and could damage the unit.

But if you want to take a look here - http://phild31.com/increasewtc.pdf

August 20, 2013
1:02 pm
ThD
Members

Thanks JG, that answered it.

Maybe these alarms are a suggestion for the "San Dimas" forum. Magellan's Meridien Blue had the flat battery alarm, and I quite depended on it.

Best wishes

Thomas

August 20, 2013
12:16 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 289

ThD said
Thanks JG for your quick answer.

I will certainly try what you propose, though I don't quite understand why the active suspend timer should be disabled, since it still records the track in suspended mode, does it not?

Please give me also a word on my question about the alarms: are there or are there not alarms for (1) flat battery and (2) filled active track?

Best wishes

Thomas

Thomas,

Active Suspend Timer .. never worked for me.

Alarms for battery capacity and filled active track .. NO!!

Members please correct me if I am wrong but we never saw any codes that would put these features in place.

JG

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

August 20, 2013
11:21 am
ThD
Members

Thanks JG for your quick answer.

I will certainly try what you propose, though I don't quite understand why the active suspend timer should be disabled, since it still records the track in suspended mode, does it not?

Please give me also a word on my question about the alarms: are there or are there not alarms for (1) flat battery and (2) filled active track?

Best wishes

Thomas

August 19, 2013
6:24 pm
JungleGhost
Wayne NJ
Admin
Forum Posts: 289

ThD said
Hello everybody.

I'm new to this forum and experienced some difficulty trying to save a hiking track using a newly bought explorist610: the unit only saved the last part of the track, I lost the previous 4hours of walking. I have not found any answer/solution elsewhere, including the manual.

I set up the unit using the Hiking Profile, with "Track Logging" every second, and Power Settings set to 15min Active Suspend Timer, 5hours as Power Off Timer.

Can it be that only 10000 waypoints are stored, thus forcing you to save the active track with my settings every 2.7 hours? Is there no alarm to let you know that the unit will overwrite previous waypoints?

Furthermore, the batteries seemed to go flat around the end of the track. But contrary to my previous Magellan Meridien, this unit did not sound an alarm to let you know that you have to change batteries. Does it have such an alarm?

Please let me know of your experiences and the work-arounds in order to save long tracks without having constantly to think about your GPS unit.

Thank you

ThD, Disable the Active Suspend Timer and disable the Power Off Timer for a start. Set your Tracking log breadcrumb for a reduced time for each breadcrumb.

If you are having battery problems see if you can purchase a Hyperkin 10000 mAH battery pack in your country.  This will add 30+ hours to the lifetime of the GPS.

JG

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and experienced some difficulty trying to save a hiking track using a newly bought explorist610: the unit only saved the last part of the track, I lost the previous 4hours of walking. I have not found any answer/solution elsewhere, including the manual. I set up the unit using the Hiking Profile, with "Track Logging" every second, and Power Settings set to 15min Active Suspend Timer, 5hours as Power Off Timer. Can it be that only 10000 waypoints are stored, thus forcing you to save the active track with my settings every 2.7 hours? Is there no alarm to let you know that the unit will overwrite previous waypoints? Furthermore, the batteries seemed to go flat around the end of the track. But contrary to my previous Magellan Meridien, this unit did not sound an alarm to let you know that you have to change batteries. Does it have such an alarm? Please let me know of your experiences and the work-arounds in order to save long tracks without having constantly to think about your GPS unit. Thank you

JG is the Founder of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. He created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units.

August 19, 2013
6:02 pm
ThD
Members

Hello everybody.

I'm new to this forum and experienced some difficulty trying to save a hiking track using a newly bought explorist610: the unit only saved the last part of the track, I lost the previous 4hours of walking. I have not found any answer/solution elsewhere, including the manual.

I set up the unit using the Hiking Profile, with "Track Logging" every second, and Power Settings set to 15min Active Suspend Timer, 5hours as Power Off Timer.

Can it be that only 10000 waypoints are stored, thus forcing you to save the active track with my settings every 2.7 hours? Is there no alarm to let you know that the unit will overwrite previous waypoints?

Furthermore, the batteries seemed to go flat around the end of the track. But contrary to my previous Magellan Meridien, this unit did not sound an alarm to let you know that you have to change batteries. Does it have such an alarm?

Please let me know of your experiences and the work-arounds in order to save long tracks without having constantly to think about your GPS unit.

Thank you

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 451

Currently Online:
23 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1617

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 1003

Newest Members:

TersulamD, Thomaspar, RachlNiz, kaitlinmb60, hat, Karalinkabub, KulIkA, hero, fytkbrf, jhif

Administrators: JungleGhost: 289, Mike: 25

Comments

Magellan eXplorist 610: track saving | General 510 610 710 | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply