Long delay after suspend | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Long delay after suspend
July 6, 2012
5:14 pm
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 91
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6624sp_Permalink sp_Print

The pouch is quite good. There are a lot of choices out there that will work, but I have found that Magellan's version is the best because:
1. The zipper works well, velcro is a pain to rip open every time when I am out in the woods the noise is nerve wracking to me. (sounds silly huh?)

2. I have used this same pouch for YEARS with hundreds of zips and unzips, drops, scrapes, soakings, sweatings, etc, and it hardly shows any wear.
3. cool logo.
4. I always lock my screen before replacing my unit in the pouch. This is a very easy handy feature that Magellan got right.

5. To all those new and potential Magellan users out there, Magellan has really turned around their quality issues, Service has been excellent to me, the Explorist line of GPSr's in my opinion for the hiker/geocacher is the best in feature and price. Garmin makes excellent product, but their support at least in my experience, is lacking.

July 6, 2012
12:55 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
6608sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

soleful2001 wrote:

Another tip, use the camera sparingly. For some reason the camera severely drains the batteries.

So does the Voice Recorder - it just sucks as much power as it can get!

If you really want to see the batteries drain fast record a video, then you're using the camera and the voice recorder at the same time! :woohoo:

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
July 6, 2012
12:48 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 280
6606sp_Permalink sp_Print

soleful2001 wrote:

Another tip, use the camera sparingly. For some reason the camera severely drains the batteries.

So does the Voice Recorder - it just sucks as much power as it can get!

July 5, 2012
10:17 pm
phild31
Members
6599sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would recommend a Zagg screen protector.
Zagg seems like the best one but they don't make one for the new Explorists 510/610/710.
So I got one for an Explorist XL and cut it to fit.

It works very well, no scratches, marks or any problems.

In a pouch you won't get as many random taps on the screen by branches and stuff.
I have my 710 set to make a noise when the screen is tapped, that way I know if something hit the screen.

I also love my 710, it's by far the best GPSr I have used.
The battery life is the only issue I am truly disappointed in but it really is a minor problem to carry enough spares.
But good rechargeables is the way to go, I just hate throwing away so many alkaline batteries.

July 5, 2012
7:30 pm
BarryG
Members
Forum Posts: 36
6597sp_Permalink sp_Print

Really appreciate the help. I got the Magellan pouch on the way as well as Powerwerx batteries and a La Crosse BC-700 charger.

July 5, 2012
6:53 pm
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 91
6596sp_Permalink sp_Print

I put mine in a pouch made for the unit by Magellan, you can get them for about 10.00 on Amazon. I strap it to my shoulder or sternum strap. The unit is protected and still maintains good reception. I have never had issues using my pouch for my explorist 210, Triton 300 or my Explorist 610.

As for battery power, be prepared to carry extra. On a 5 day thru-hike I used about 7 pairs of AA's. Also, I got tired of the suspend mode as well. The longer you have the unit suspended, the longer it takes to load the data before coming out of suspend mode. The trade off is carrying more battery power.

I have decided that the power drain is worth it for what you get feature wise. I have found that I like this unit much more than my Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, even though the HCx has about 3 times more battery life.

I love my Explorist 610. It is essentially the same as the 710 but without City Navigation turn-by_turn map.

July 5, 2012
5:54 pm
BarryG
Members
6595sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

By the way, when you say "I pulled out the 710" if it was in a pocket or pack the track will not be as accurate as it would be if in the open.
So hang it on a pack strap or belt even in suspend mode to get a more accurate track.

I do a lot of hiking through dense brush and want to avoid scratching the heck out of my 710. I would think that just hanging it on a pack strap would make it quite vulnerable to such scratching.

July 5, 2012
4:59 pm
phild31
Members
6594sp_Permalink sp_Print

Powerex are the best rechargeable batteries I've tried yet!
It took about 40 hours to do the first charge/break in.
After that I got about 8 hours of use in my 710 with the batteries.
Then the recharge took about 2-3 hours.

The charger analyzes what the battery needs and charges it accordingly.

These are a bit expensive but I would recommend them.

Go here on Amazon.com - POWEREX - to check them out.

Yes, when you use the power cord in the car it switches power source.

July 5, 2012
11:37 am
BarryG
Members
6593sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys, very helpful info indeed!

Two follow-up questions: which rechargeable batteries do you recommend? I bought some Energizers with bundled charger but they weren't marked with mAh capacity and suspect they are low end batteries.

If I use the 12V adapter in the car through the USB port, does the 710 automatically switch power sources to conserve the internal AA batteries?

Thanks again.

July 5, 2012
9:53 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677
6592sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whenever I'm on longer hikes I clip my eX710 to a carabiner on my backpack strap which put in the GPS on my right side up towards my shoulder then I plug it into my Duracell external lithium ion charger and let it run off of its power instead of the batteries, altough this battery/charger isn't powerful enough to fully power the unit when it is in Vehicle Nav due to the voice command system, it will run the unit for a couple of days or so while in the hiking or Geocacing mode. Then I don't have to worry about the suspend mode; however, always take extra AAs just in case of an emergency...

David

July 5, 2012
2:49 am
phild31
Members
6591sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum, any questions you have somebody here will help.
Battery life will always be an issue with any high end unit like the 710.

Personally, I never use the suspend mode with my 710.
I always feel I want to use it at a moment's notice.
Battery life will vary but I will usually get 6 hours of constant use out of a pair of good of rechargeables.
Carrying two sets of spare batteries is what I'm resigned to, but they're AAs so not too heavy.

I have the backlight timer set to 30 seconds, that's the only concession I make to save the batteries.

Basically, to have a unit that does all the things the 710 can do, the price is power consumption.
If you want instant access to the features it has to be left on.

By the way, when you say "I pulled out the 710" if it was in a pocket or pack the track will not be as accurate as it would be if in the open.
So hang it on a pack strap or belt even in suspend mode to get a more accurate track.

July 5, 2012
12:43 am
BarryG
Members

First time out using my new 710 on a hike and obviously much to learn. Every time I needed to check something, I pulled out the 710 and stared for several minutes at the "retrieving your track information, please wait" to progress to the info screen.

Is there any way around this, even if I just wanted to check compass heading, etc? Appreciate any helpful info/tips.

I assume disabling suspend mode would totally kill the battery life, correct?

TIA

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 451

Currently Online:
22 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1617

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 1003

Newest Members:

TersulamD, Thomaspar, RachlNiz, kaitlinmb60, hat, Karalinkabub, KulIkA, hero, fytkbrf, jhif

Administrators: JungleGhost: 289, Mike: 25

Comments

Long delay after suspend | General 510 610 710 | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply