i- Boot Failure .. What Am I Into? | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
i- Boot Failure .. What Am I Into?
July 7, 2012
7:28 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 258
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6642sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

Sorceress wrote:

Mr. Carr,

Also please forgive me but for some reason I am not receiving copies of the messages addressing this topic. So I am missing your requests unless I go to the forum site periodically.

Is there something wrong with the forum software? Also the computer response is quite slow.

-S-

X 2! ie me too!

If you are not receiving the RSS messages try end the RSS feed and setting it up again. If this does not work you could have a corrupted file or a broken link in the RSS feed data in your PC. If you search on the internet you will find information on how to identify and fix RSS feed issues.

Graham.
PS I have experienced slow response from the server in recent time.

July 7, 2012
6:37 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 280
6640sp_Permalink sp_Print

It has been really slow for me for the past few days and it has got to the stage where I can't be bothered waiting to navigate around the forum pages.

July 7, 2012
6:25 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677
6638sp_Permalink sp_Print

There isn't a problem with the forum as far as I know. I normally read all of the post in Outlook as an RSS channel and I haven't noticed any slow down in the system.

David

July 7, 2012
6:10 am
pprass
Members
6637sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorceress wrote:

Mr. Carr,

Also please forgive me but for some reason I am not receiving copies of the messages addressing this topic. So I am missing your requests unless I go to the forum site periodically.

Is there something wrong with the forum software? Also the computer response is quite slow.

-S-

X 2! ie me too!

July 7, 2012
12:17 am
Sorceress
Members
Forum Posts: 80
6635sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mr. Carr,

-S-

July 6, 2012
11:27 pm
Sorceress
Members
6633sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mr. Carr,

Thank you for the quick action. I am now sure that I am not the only one who is experiencing this phenomena.

Question that you did not ask is what was the previous version when I did the update. It was 6.06

Answers are
1) I followed all instructions and did not connect the GPS to the PC until instructed. Update then proceeded normally. When instructed to disconnect the unit, I did this. Unit had NEW AA Alkaline Batteries in it. When it started there was a white screen and some various quick loadings of something separated by dashed lines. The screen indicated the error at this time and locked.

2) I then removed the batteries and started to turn the unit on. There was a "blue screen" and the unit then gave me an error that stated "iBoot failed followed later by an Please Cold Boot And Retry."

3) I thought that I saw the black Magellan Screen for an instance before the iboot error when I pushed the Power ON button. I cannot remember if a radar rotating clock image was slightly visible for an instance .. no "bugs bunny .. that all folks!" Just a lock up and error message.

4) Let me add that the unit was mailed this afternoon to the Jungle Ghost people.

Apparently SIG also had this experience and you might want to ask him the same questions.

-S-

July 6, 2012
8:56 pm
David
Members
6632sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorceress,

Can you please give me the following information:

Some questions:
1. When did the update fail? During updating, was there an error message appeared on the PC update program or on the device?

2. After the update failed, what is the actual error message now appear on the device when power ON the unit? Was it a blue screen with error message?

3. Can you also confirm that the iboot error message appears immediately upon power ON and no other screen appear before the iboot error message such as black screen with rotating clock.

Thanks,
David

July 6, 2012
8:32 pm
David
Members
6631sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorceress,

I've contacted Magellan and they're looking into it as I type this and I've been told that I should have an answer back this afternoon or by tomorrow morning; but they said they should be able to provide a fix for it.

David

July 6, 2012
8:25 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
6630sp_Permalink sp_Print

soleful2001 wrote:

I would still contact Magellan. I bricked my Explorist 210 exactly the same way except I did not remove the batteries.

I contacted Magellan and they replaced my WAY out of warranty explorist 210 with a refurbished Triton 300. I was satisfied with that and it was beyond my expectations.

Magellan may be willing to fix it.

The only problem is that Magellan doesn't fix them, they outsource repairs and will give you a refurbished unit with a different serial number that doesn't match your maps.

Plus they can't very well send a refurbished Triton, 610 or anything else to replace a 710.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
July 6, 2012
8:20 pm
Sorceress
Members
6629sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Before you resign yourself to having a brick, I would suggest contacting Jungle Ghost, they may have a repair service for the new Explorists.

Thanks Phil, SIG and you were both correct. Jungle Ghost has the tools to do this fix.

I will ship it to them today.

-S-

July 6, 2012
8:15 pm
Sorceress
Members
6628sp_Permalink sp_Print

S!G wrote:

I do have a eXplorist "Touch" prototype with exact the same error. I still could not get it alive again. I know the way, it could be possible, but I do not have the tools.
The way would be a forced SD-Card update with a special prepared sd-card.

So the only way, I see is to get in contact with jungle ghost, so they may fix it.

SIG, I contacted the Jungle Ghost people and they can repair the unit. Funny, they also mentioned a forced memory card update.

Many thanks .. for steering me to them.

-S-

July 6, 2012
7:11 pm
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 61
6627sp_Permalink sp_Print

I believe 6.52 is for the 610 model while 6.53 is the 710 update.

Jaker

July 6, 2012
6:31 pm
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 91
6626sp_Permalink sp_Print

6.53? I only see 6.52 on the site as the latest version. Where did you find this update?

July 6, 2012
5:02 pm
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 91
6623sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would still contact Magellan. I bricked my Explorist 210 exactly the same way except I did not remove the batteries.

I contacted Magellan and they replaced my WAY out of warranty explorist 210 with a refurbished Triton 300. I was satisfied with that and it was beyond my expectations.

Magellan may be willing to fix it.

July 6, 2012
11:11 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 284
6622sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do have a eXplorist "Touch" prototype with exact the same error. I still could not get it alive again. I know the way, it could be possible, but I do not have the tools.
The way would be a forced SD-Card update with a special prepared sd-card.

So the only way, I see is to get in contact with jungle ghost, so they may fix it.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ
July 6, 2012
4:31 am
phild31
Members
6618sp_Permalink sp_Print

Before you resign yourself to having a brick, I would suggest contacting Jungle Ghost, they may have a repair service for the new Explorists.

July 6, 2012
4:00 am
Sorceress
Members
6617sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil, Thank you for your suggestions.

I was loading firmware update 6.53 for my 710. I do not use the unit for geocaching just hiking. I was out with the unit the week before and did a simple walk.

The current problem is that the unit freezes before it ever gets to completely start.

There isn't any card in the unit. So booting up without a card is not the issue.

Something happened when I did the firmware update. I always but in fresh batteries so when I removed the cable from the PC the unit started to do some loading and I saw it quickly flash through some steps and then it gave me an iboot error and locked up.

I disconnected the batteries because I could not turn it off. I reload the batteries and when I started it the unit gave me the iboot error and the OS image error messages.

The best way to describe the problem is that it freezes on startup.

Reinstalling the firmware does not solve the problem.

Has any else ever had this problem? I did not find anything in the forum messages.

I do believe that I may have the first brick in the series. The unit is eight months out of warranty.

I will scout around the Internet to see if any else has had this problem and how they fixed it.

-S-

July 6, 2012
1:33 am
phild31
Members
6615sp_Permalink sp_Print

The geocaches images file keeps growing unless you manually delete them now and then.
My thought is that the image file is too big or somehow corrupted.

And what firmware update are you talking about?
Do you use it for geocaching?

If you do not geocache then delete all the geocaches from the unit and the Media/Images/Geocaches image files also.
Every time you upgrade the firmware it comes with 1000 of the most popular Geocaches in the world.
Any image files for those geocaches will be added to the Media/Images/Geocaches file.

I don't know what else could be causing an image checksum problem.
Do you have any images saved on the SD card?

Try removing the card and see if it boots up?

July 6, 2012
1:08 am
Sorceress
Members
6612sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil, This unit does not have any geocaches except for the ones that were loaded with the last firmware update.

The Image checksum error is now being reported as the OS image checksum error.

I would assume that the OS is for the Operating System.

-S-

July 6, 2012
1:04 am
Sorceress
Members
6611sp_Permalink sp_Print

I assume that cold booting is a procedure where you remove the batteries. Then start the unit.

As for indexing the data base, the unit never gets to that point.

-S-

July 6, 2012
12:38 am
pprass
Members
6605sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorceress wrote:

Cold Booting did not work.

What procedure is a "Cold Booting"?

Do you also get a freeze and a message saying "Indexing Data Base ##%"?

July 5, 2012
11:29 pm
phild31
Members
6600sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, all I can recommend is with the unit off plug it into the computer then turn it on, when it asks, tap 'Connect to PC'.
It should give you access to the unit without booting up.
If it does, open up the Media folder, then the Images folder and then Geocaches, then delete all the images in the Media/Images/Geocaches folder.

That may fix the Image checksum error.

Then while you are in the unit, open USR folder and delete the UGDS.BIN file.
When and if it reboots it will generate a new UGDS.BIN file.
The previous firmware sometimes would corrupt the BIN file.

Then unplug it and see if it boots up.
I just did all that with mine and it booted up without the Media/Images/Geocaches file and when I reloaded a geocache file everything was fine.

I really don't know if this will cure your problem but it's worth a try and shouldn't cause any other trouble.

July 5, 2012
9:44 pm
Sorceress
Members

Just received an iBoot failure message on my out of warranty 710.

Apparently my new firmware update caused a problem. The message also states that the image Checksum has an error.

Cold Booting did not work.

Any help would be appreciate.

-S-

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 451

Currently Online:
26 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1617

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 1003

Newest Members:

TersulamD, Thomaspar, RachlNiz, kaitlinmb60, hat, Karalinkabub, KulIkA, hero, fytkbrf, jhif

Administrators: JungleGhost: 289, Mike: 25

Comments

i- Boot Failure .. What Am I Into? | General 510 610 710 | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply