Power button kills the 710 (?) | Bug Reporting | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Power button kills the 710 (?)
March 10, 2011
3:42 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 75
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1745sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you !

March 10, 2011
6:59 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677
1732sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just wanted to let you know that this thread has been forward to the Engineers at Magellan and they're going to be taking a look at this issue.

David

March 9, 2011
2:19 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
1716sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm glad I could help.
Now I think I'll copy all the files from my 710 for back-up.
I thought I already had but I can't find them anywhere.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
March 9, 2011
12:08 am
sondre
Members
1715sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you all !
Modifying the corrupted Unit.xml and Unit.bkf files with info I found in Phil's file made the units start. After that I did a normal software update, and now all problems are gone.

I will certainly make a backup of the files to my PC, in case the problem should show up again.

This forum is very helpful ! Thank you!

BR
Sondre

March 8, 2011
11:50 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 173
1714sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I am also playing around with the device....more tham I am intended to do... 😉

I also hat the unit stuck in some rebooting cycle and could luckily get it to connect to PC.

Re-installing the Firmware did not help.

Deleting the content of the USR Folder and deleting the file APPsettings.xml did the job B)

BR
Sockeye

March 8, 2011
10:32 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677
1712sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, if you're part computer Geek here is something you can try! I've done it a couple of times with success. Actually, it has never let me down - yet!

Download the firmware update from the Magellan site onto your desktop then change the name of the file from .exe to .zip. Once you done this you can then uncompress the file just like you would any other .zip file.

Once you have the file uncompressed copy the file within this file over the ones on the GPS. HOWEVER, you're going to have to pay a LOT of attention here and look at the directories to see which files goes in which directories. Normally you should be mostly concerned with those in the APP directory.

Also, make sure to delete ALL .gpx files within the Geoaching and Waypoints directories on the unit. Once you've completed this then reboot the unit and see if it will boot. If it doesn, then ago ahead and run the firmware update again as you normally would.

If you need a copy of the directory tree let me know...

Also, in the future, make sure to make a backup of the files from your GPS onto your computer or someother backup drive just in case something happens.

Good Luck
David

March 8, 2011
9:27 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
1710sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's the unit.xml on my 710.
I hope it helps somehow.
When I did the update to v. 3.23 I got the "file too large" message, I took out the batteries, then put them back in and the update was finished.
I don't know what to say about fixing your problem, good luck.

< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

eXplorist® 710

C898C0078047383055534453
AC

09/30/10

SystemHealth.exe
HDDAPPSystem

AtlasWinCE.exe
HDDAPP

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
March 8, 2011
8:53 pm
sondre
Members

My second 710 has now "died"! I was not sure what killed the first one, but I know what happened to the second (and it may well be that the first one was killed by the same thing):
A friend of mine grabbed the unit and hit the power button. He has of course not seen the instructions which tells that you should hold it for 2 seconds. So he hit the button repeatedly and nothing happened. I saw that and told him that it's necessary to hold the button for 2 seconds. He held it for "some" seconds, and the unit "died". That is: it came up with the "connect to pc" screen and the only thing to do from there is to remove the batteries as it does not react to anything. When powering up again it never gets past the initial screen which says "eXplorist 710. ver 00.00" and the copyright info. One again the only thing one can do is to remove the batteries. Both my 710s now behave like that...

However, when connecting the USB cable to the PC before powering up the unit, the GPS does connect (as any external disk) and I can se all the files. So I hoped it should be possible to load new software to the unit.
But following the described procedure does not work. I cannot "wait for the receiver to display the Main Menu", as this never happens. Trying to go on with the GPS connected always ends in "No eXplorist found".
I have had a quick look at the files in the APP folder of the device, and these two files have been altered at the time my friend grabbed the GPS:
Unit.xml and Unit.bkf. Those two files are identical.

I'm pretty sure the problem I have is that Unit.xml have been altered (as it does say "HardwareVersion 0".. and that not correct...).
I have talked to Magellan Support, and the consultant totally ignored my questions about this file and my questions whether it would be possible to do a manual load of the software. He claimed that both my units have to be replaced. Since I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic, and Magellan does not ship to Europe, that's not that easy...

I'm sure I have read somewhere on this forum that someone really did load software manually once (was it you David ?). The only thing I need is of course the smallest possible fix that will enable a normal software load according to the instructions published by Magellan. Be it altering the Unit.xml or doing a manual load of the software.

This is what I have in the Unit.xml (and it is obviosly incorrect):

< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

eXplorist® 710

09831D808047383055534453

Please can anybody show me how Unit.xml is on a healthy 710 ?

I hate beeing without my 710 !

And..... If it's really tampering with the powerbutton that kills the units: Keep it out of reach of (any) people !!!

By the way: The first unit that died had the 3.23 version.
The one that died today had the original version, as I was waiting for the next version. Upgrading to 3.23 did result in a "file too large" message. I understand that other people had that message too.

BR
Sondre

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1355

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

YmpoRefT, Davidutere, Merrilldak, maskisa, AbanaTut, Nicanor89Mef, NancyGuine, JoeyGluse, Robertsop, Gregoryedura

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

Power button kills the 710 (?) | Bug Reporting | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply