Explorist 710 - Corruption when following a route | Bug Reporting | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 710 - Corruption when following a route
May 3, 2012
1:45 am
Charles
Members
Forum Posts: 35
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5987sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today I encountered the track corruption problem on two routes stored on the SD card so that my conjecture about the route location was wrong.

April 30, 2012
2:24 am
Charles
Members
5959sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a little more information.

I normally use the Sync function in Vantage Point to transfer the routes to the 710. Over the last few days I have also been loading duplicate routes to the SD card.

So far, two out of three routes loaded to the 710 memory failed with the usual corruption problem, one worked. Of four routes loaded from the SD card, all worked correctly. This may not be conclusive, of course.

I did encounter the problem with the route not being advanced automatically on two of the routes, but not on any of the others. It seems that reloading the same route may fix this particular problem. I encountered this problem for the first time just a few days ago. What happens is that there is no proximity alarm when the next route point is reached and the destination does not seem to change. Using the Go To Next function advances to the next route point as one might expect, but then the problem repeats once that point is reached.

April 29, 2012
9:07 am
Patrack
Members
Forum Posts: 4
5950sp_Permalink sp_Print

My experience is very similar

I did create a route with Vantage point but still got corruption.

1) Mode=Hiking
2) Routing options - Hike (Off Road) Vehicle = Fastest
3) Alarms - All off

4) Yes the route looks fine when previewed.
5) I have only tried in the created direction.

Now that I am home I have restarted the unit and can step through the route with no problems.

Here is today's screenshot

April 26, 2012
2:01 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
5922sp_Permalink sp_Print

I also get the screwed-up cache list after loading a few thousand new caches.
Like jmebd, I power it off, then back on and it indexes everything fine.

That has happened 3 or 4 times now.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
April 26, 2012
1:55 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 193
5921sp_Permalink sp_Print

I "kind of" experienced a corruption the other day as well. Had just finished loading about 2500 caches into my x710 with GSAK (set to delete all stuff on unit and grab images before transferring) but after the transfer I unhooked it and out the door I went. Halfway down my driveway it finally got past the clock animation of loading up caches and when I went to hit geocache icon they were all screwed up jibberish characters like what was in the above picture. What????? I just powered it off then back on and it went into indexing mode and then everything was fine after that.....dunno....wierd-O!

Only happened that once tho...so far....maybe we're getting blasted by some solar flares that the government isn't telling us about....I've been having trouble with my AT&T dsl for a couple weeks as well....went thru 4 modems as of yet and AT&T says everything is fine....go figure.

April 26, 2012
1:09 am
Charles
Members
5920sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have some more information on this problem. I set up a route on the 710 and sure enough an off-course message was generated with a garbled name. This time I displayed the point list and the bad point showed up in the list. Every point beyond this was also corrupted. The distance for these points was also incorrect. The screen capture of the first few incorrect points is shown below:

All the other points in the route are duplicates of the last point in the screen capture with a distance of 3806 miles.

Canceling the route and restarting it did not help. The point list was identical. Powering the unit off and restarting with the same route was no different. If the route was copied to the PC and then reloaded to the unit, then the point list was correct.

During the test, I encountered a new pattern of behavior which I had not seen before. I would get periodic off-course messages and the position arrow would point to the previous point in the route. The "Go to Next" function would set everything to rights, but the same thing would happen on a later point. I did see the destination change when I reached a route point and then a short time later, the destination seemed to revert to the previous route point. The corrupted route problem occurred soon afterwards so I was unable to investigate further.

I need to do some more testing with this to better understand what is happening. The corrupted route problem can be lived with. This problem, if it is real, makes the unit useless.

April 25, 2012
2:33 am
Charles
Members
5914sp_Permalink sp_Print

Answers:

1. Profile: Hiking

2. Routing Method: Hike (Off road), Vehicle Routing: Fastest

3. Off course: various, Arrival: On, Arrival Distance: various, Waypoint Proximity: various, Geocache Proximity: various, Place Proximity: off, GPS Fix Acquired: off, GPS Fix Lost: off, Anchor: off, Alarm Tone: ring, Alarm Volume: high

4. The route displays correctly in Vantage Point.
I am not sure that the turn-by-turn listing in Vantage Point is meaningful in hiking mode, as all of the routes that display this problem are mainly off-road.

On the 710, the route seems to display correctly before the problem occurs, but I am not certain of this point. I have never attempted to list the points after it occurs, but this would be instructive.

I have found that restarting the route and using the “Go to Next” command to step through the route still results in an incorrect point at the same location. Earlier points in the route appear correct.

5. I have never seen the problem using the backtrack feature, but then I almost never use this feature.

April 24, 2012
2:45 am
Morel
Guests
5911sp_Permalink sp_Print

A few questions about the problem:

1) What profile is being used?
2) What are the route options settings?
3) What are the alert settings?
4) Does the route look correct when previewed on the map? and the turn by turn list?
5) Does the problem occur on the created route direction or the reverse route direction?

April 24, 2012
12:29 am
Charles
Members
5910sp_Permalink sp_Print

No one else seems to have this problem. Somehow I don't think it would be limited to the 710.

Although this problem did happen consistently for a while, it seems to have gone away for now. I don't know if this will happen to you.

April 23, 2012
11:29 pm
Patrack
Members
5909sp_Permalink sp_Print

It sounds exactly the same. When I come home I can step through the route without any trouble - it appears to be related to tracking a route.

I will try using a route created by Vantage point but am not convinced as other GPX editors can read the OZIexplorer files.

As it is it is completely useless to me. I may go on eBay and try and find a second hand Explorist 600 (which was great) or go by a Garmin.

April 23, 2012
9:38 pm
Charles
Members
5908sp_Permalink sp_Print

At last, someone else has encountered this same problem.

I posted a message about this when I first encountered the problem. It is in the General forum, message number 4310. You can find it by searching for "Anomalous Points".

I am not using OziExplorer. All my routes are created using Vantage Point.

I encounter the identical symptoms. After following a route for a while, the next point on the route is wrong. Usually an off-course is generated at this time, but the name of the destination is garbled.

If you cancel the route and then restart it, the problem occurs at the identical route point. This would imply that the problem is with the stored route, but exporting the route as a GPX file does not reveal any problems. Deleting the UGDS.BIN file does not help either.

What I do now is to create several copies of the same route. Each copy is modified by deleting a varying number of points from the start of each copy so that if one route gives a problem, it may be possible to continue with one of the other copies. This is tedious but allows the route to be used.

This problem does not occur consistently but I have encountered more often than I would like.

April 23, 2012
8:39 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 120
5907sp_Permalink sp_Print

Most likely this is a problem OziExplorer. Format of the route in OziExplorer for the PC is very specific.
Route (rte) is just a list of index numbers points by which they are stored in Ozi. Point names and their coordinates is not there. Without file points (wpt) it does not work. If you sort the points named in the Ozi, the route is usually wasted.
The route in OziExplorerCE (rt2) already contains the names and coordinates of points. It will be converted to GPX correctly. But OziExplorer PC does not save route in rt2.

Import points from OziExplorer to VantagePoint and collect the route in it.

April 23, 2012
3:19 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 280
5905sp_Permalink sp_Print

This could be more of an OziExplorer issue rather than an eXplorist issue. Try creating the same route using VantagePoint and see if the 4th WPT is corrupt as well.

April 22, 2012
9:11 am
Patrack
Members

I prepare routes using OZIexplorer and download them to the Explorist as .gpx files.

They load successfully and I can step though them point by point. However when I am actually walking the route the first 3 points work well and then the next waypoint is gobbledegook thousands of kilometres away.

This has happened with multiple .gpx files. I can send the files. I also have several screenshots showing the problem.

BTW. I was going to report on the Magellan website but I can't see anywhere to do it.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1390

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

HotakFS, Vandakz, Lanatf, tpgamwell, SamnotsT, DonaLd100, Jordanripse, Jeremymug, Jim LaRue, gemasdotr

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

Explorist 710 - Corruption when following a route | Bug Reporting | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply